Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Virtanen is basically Lazar on steroids. Still dumb, but a better skillset. So better production, but still not what you'd want.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Francis, 55, was promoted to general manager in 2014 when Jim Rutherford retired and was tasked with a major rebuilding of the franchise. The team failed to make the playoffs in each of his first three seasons as GM and appears unlikely to make the postseason this season.

The Hurricanes appeared primed to make a leap forward this season, but Francis' choice of Scott Darling as the Hurricanes' new No. 1 goaltender has been an abject disaster and two of his other offseason acquisitions – Marcus Krueger and Josh Jooris – were waived last month. Jooris was later traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins in a minor deal.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nolan Patrick

Take a look at Patrick's stats game by game and his icetime .. can you see Boucher and Dorion being that patient with our young guys.. 1 g 2a in 9 games in October, 1 g 1a in 7 games in November , 1a in 13 games in December, 1g 1a in 12 games in January, 5g 2 a in 13 games in February, 1 g 1 a in 3 games in March plus he scored tonight for another one. It took him some time but he's starting to get it and looks pretty good, and is on the 2nd PP unit now... IMO put White in that position he does at least as well, Chlapik as well... Possibly even Brown.

The Belleville option has to be better for development .. Its a tire fire ... Player development needs to be addressed for this organization to maximize its young assets.

Last edited:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Nolan Patrick

Take a look at Patrick's stats game by game and his icetime .. can you see Boucher and Dorion being that patient with our young guys.. 1 g 2a in 9 games in October, 1 g 1a in 7 games in November , 1a in 13 games in December, 1g 1a in 12 games in January, 5g 2 a in 13 games in February, 1 g 1 a in 3 games in March plus he scored tonight for another one. It took him some time but he's starting to get it and looks pretty good, and is on the 2nd PP unit now... IMO put White in that position he does at least as well, Chlapik as well... Possibly even Brown.

The Belleville option has to be better for development .. Its a tire fire ... Player development needs to be addressed for this organization to maximize its young assets.

He played over 22 minutes in that barn burner in Tampa the other day. I don't think draft prestige would influence their decision but most scouts were saying Patrick was the most NHL ready player from last year's group. Maybe they thought sending him back to Brandon would do nothing for his development.

And no, Boucher would absolutely recommend taking the 9 games then making sure the team got the entry level slide.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Nolan Patrick

Not sure how Flyer fans feel about Patrick’s ice time but I know a fair amount of them want Hakstol canned, judging by talk on their board anyway.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He played over 22 minutes in that barn burner in Tampa the other day. I don't think draft prestige would influence their decision but most scouts were saying Patrick was the most NHL ready player from last year's group. Maybe they thought sending him back to Brandon would do nothing for his development.

And no, Boucher would absolutely recommend taking the 9 games then making sure the team got the entry level slide.
He's a big body and plays a two way game .. he missed a lot of time in his last year jr... Colin White's game imo is at least equally as NHL ready coming out of BC.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Noticed Johnson was starting for Buffalo again (before getting pulled after 4 quick goals), has he stolen top spot from Lehner?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Worried that our Owner/President/CEO may become too involved?

Say what you will about the current system, but Dorion is in charge of player personnel. Dorion makes the decisions and Melnyk seems self-aware enough to realize that him being in a player evaluation role is not a good idea. As bad as Melnyk is, I think his over-involvement is mostly kept in check when it comes to actually making decisions on players.

If Dorion gets fired after another year of struggles, that would probably be the right thing to do - but if it's just to give Melnyk more power, that would be a terrible, terrible development for this team.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Hey, Melnyk now has 15 years of experience owning a NHL team. I would guess that in that amount of time he's developed a keen eye for talent, has memorized the CBA front to back, and has developed a strong rapport with all of the other GMs. I'd be fine with him assuming the role of GM, and CEO, and Club President, and Chief Communications Officer, and Head of Marketing, and Director of Ticket sales, and executive chef of Bert's Bar...

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Somewhat interesting development around J. Dahlen -

1) He was initially supposed to spend the entire year in Utica.
2) Due to a bout with mono, the plan then changed (at Dahlens request) to: send him back to SWE1 until the new year and then bring him to NA.
3) Turned out, though, that Timra was/is in the midst of a really solid season - one that could see them earn a promotion to the SweHL. Unlike last year, where Dahlen had E. Petersson by his side, this year it is truly Dahlen's team: while his numbers are about the same as last year, he's doing it with a lot less help.
4) So, given his teams position and, clearly, some loyalty to the organization, Dahlen has committed to staying for at least the rest of the season.
5) Will he come to Utica when the season ends? If Timra is promoted, will he return for their inaugural SweHL season? Some of their fans are concerned. Personally, I wouldnt be too worried but I also wasnt worried about Wikstrand. So, who knows.

Anyways, I thought some folks would be interested in whats doing on with Dahlen and I had to read around a bit to find this info so I figured I'd streamline it a bit in one, single post.

Update, Mar 9:

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

2) Due to a bout with mono, the plan then changed (at Dahlens request) to: send him back to SWE1 until the new year and then bring him to NA.
3) Turned out, though, that Timra was/is in the midst of a really solid season - one that could see them earn a promotion to the SweHL. Unlike last year, where Dahlen had E. Petersson by his side, this year it is truly Dahlen's team: while his numbers are about the same as last year, he's doing it with a lot less help.
4) So, given his teams position and, clearly, some loyalty to the organization, Dahlen has committed to staying for at least the rest of the season.
5) Will he come to Utica when the season ends? If Timra is promoted, will he return for their inaugural SweHL season? Some of their fans are concerned. Personally, I wouldnt be too worried but I also wasnt worried about Wikstrand. So, who knows.

Anyways, I thought some folks would be interested in whats doing on with Dahlen and I had to read around a bit to find this info so I figured I'd streamline it a bit in one, single post.

Dorion knew this would happen. He's a genius.

High-fives for Dorion!

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
He'll be over, I'm sure. The real issue there was immediately extending Burrows imo.
Nah man, extending Burrows was also a genius move.

Dorion anticipated that Anderson would continue his career trend and have an off-year, so he made sure that Burrows would be around to really help the team tank and get a great pick. Then they can use that pick to generate excitement and help convince EK, Stone and Duchene to all sign team friendly deals this summer. Then next year, with the skill infusion of the 1st round pick, along with White, Chabot, Brown, Formention and John Tavares (who will also accept a team friendly deal), the Sens will win the Stanley Cup, largely on the back of Craig Anderson once again continuing his career trend and having a great season.

Burrows got that 2nd year to allow him to be on the team when this all happens so he can finally get his name on the Cup. Dorion's a nice guy.

High-fives for Dorion!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Detroit 99 percent capacity this year.

I was reading a Facebook comment section on the game last night. One guy said $40 to park, $11.50 beers, expensive tickets, all for a garbage product. Now, he obviously doesn't know the ins and outs of the city as there are free places to park wtih shuttles, and you shouldnt pay more than $10 to park, but man I get it. Who wants to fork out this kinda cash? This sports bubble needs to burst already.

I am still debating whether I want to spend $ on Ottawa@Detroit later this month. So far a nosebleed seat is $85. To watch 2 bad teams play each other. Yeesh.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Update, Mar 9:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

burrohnoes.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad