NHL Around the NHL: NHL Sells Naming Rights to Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I agree with 1-3.

But didn't Binnington get lit up in the playoffs? And how is Bishop so high on the list when he's been injured?

With all the hype, I'm surprised the Rangers' wunderkind didn't make the list.

Yeah it's a bit of an odd list. You'd have to assume for a start that playoff performance was given only small consideration, if any, since Bishop and Rask were almost non-existent, Binnington was awful and and Kuemper completely average. On the flip side, I love Dobby, but he doesn't quite belong unless you do put heavy weight on his remarkable postseason efforts.

Otherwise in general, I agree the top 3 is fine. Still think Vasilevskiy is slightly overrated but he's undoubtedly very good and just landed a Cup, so can't argue with that. Rask and Hellebuyck no complaints. Bishop is still a very solid goalie if you put to one side that he has a habit of getting injured at the worst possible times, but #4 does feel a little too high. Binnington has no business at 5, and Kuemper did a decent enough job but only got 29 regular season starts in 2019-20 so feels really out of place. Price is Price and on pure ability he's probably still top 5, Markstorm should be a tad higher, Lehner probably slightly lower. Hart and Jarry are two younger guys you feel are probably knocking on the door of the top 10. Varlamov has a case to be up there too, as does Freddie Andersen and maybe Grubauer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeroforce

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
We've had this discussion far too often, albeit for different reasons.

What's the latest they can realistically start a season and get in 48 games plus playoffs?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
We've had this discussion far too often, albeit for different reasons.

What's the latest they can realistically start a season and get in 48 games plus playoffs?

The 2013 season started Jan. 19th and concluded June 24th. If the NHL wants to avoid any overlap with the Olympics, I think the latest they can start is mid-Feb, somewhere between the 15-17th.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Hate to say this, but it feels like they aren't going to play this season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bettman says Jan. 1 start to NHL season is a 'work in progress'

Speaking at the Sports Business Journal's "Dealmakers in Sport" panel on Wednesday, Bettman said the pandemic is a huge factor in its plans for the upcoming campaign.

"That is a work in progress influenced largely by what we're hearing from the medical experts," he said.

"COVID is going through a second wave, which could be worse than the first wave, and between Thanksgiving and the aftermath and what they think is going to happen for Christmas and the aftermath, we are taking our time and making sure as we look to ways to move forward, we are focused on health and safety and doing the right things."

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Root

Feb 22, 2010
How has the NBA figured out the season?

Personally I think it all comes down to money. The NBA has huge TV contracts, the NHL does not. If the NHL had the TV contracts the NBA has they would be playing.

I'm not an expert on this but from the little I know it seems to me the NHL faces more financial obstacles than the NFL, NBA, MLB and MLS (if you want to include them) when it comes to setting a reasonable plan to return to play.

Reactions: lopey

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Realistically speaking, how long of a training camp/pre-season do they need to get going? I forget how it worked in 2013, I think they had a week or so of pre-season, right?

The idea of everyone getting to town and being ready for regular season hockey in one month's time is a bit unrealistic.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
How has the NBA figured out the season?

NFL level TV $$$

I’m rooting for the season to keep getting delayed.

I want a summer season of cheap tickets in half full arenas wearing shorts and a tank to the game. Fall playoffs. Start following year Jan 1.

Hockey will announce its return when they announce the border reopening IMO.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Liam ‘Fist Bump Kid’ Fitzgerald cherishing new jersey, special friendship with Torey Krug - The Boston Globe

Liam Fitzgerald, like a lot of 14-year-olds these days, attends school remotely. But unlike everyone else at Melican Middle School in Northborough, he regularly pulls on a St. Louis Blues sweater for his school day on Zoom.
A No. 47, signed for him by Torey Krug.
“Of course!” said Fitzgerald, chatting from home Wednesday afternoon, still wearing his gift from Krug long after classes ended for the day.

A Letter to Liam

The letter, which Liam opened along with first pulling on the No. 47 sweater Thanksgiving night, was a touching missive by the former Bruins backliner.
“I remember how Adam told me that you looked up to us,” wrote Krug, recounting his first meeting with Fitzgerald, “but before the night was over, Adam and I looked up to you.”
The full letter has been widely circulated in recent days, posted on NHL.com as part of the league’s “Hockey Fights Cancer” initiative. Fitzgerald was diagnosed with leukemia at age 3, endured four years of chemotherapy, and has been cancer-free for the better part of seven years.
According to Liam’s mom, he keeps Krug’s letter on the nightstand next to his bed. He recently read it aloud to his classmates.

The rare hour or two when he’s not wearing the sweater, Liam keeps it hung in a locker in his room, alongside his prized collection of those signed by Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand, Charlie McAvoy, and McQuaid.
Reading the letter, said Liam, makes him remember the time he first met Krug, as well as attending other team-related events and the bond he has formed with other Bruins.
But Krug, he said, always will be his favorite.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'd have given him a week to cool off and then tell him to get back in net.

And if Roy had retired instead? At least with the trade the Habs got something for him (this was their version of the Thornton & Seguin trades). If he had retired they'd have gotten nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad