NHL Around the NHL: NHL Sells Naming Rights to Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I couldn't be happier for Rick Bowness. He earned it, and seems like a great guy to play for.

I read the Colin Wilson article with great interest, as I have had people close to me suggest I have similar OCD tendencies. What's interesting is that sort of obsessive behavior, and even worry, can lead people to reach a high level in their chosen field; but it can take its toll in other areas.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

So, anybody considered a lock for 2021 that's going to have to wait a year?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wow surprised no one has come in yet complaining that Toronto keeps signing guys while Sweeney does nothing

Michael Hutchinson - 2yr/$725k
Joey Anderson - 3yr/$750k

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Wow surprised no one has come in yet complaining that Toronto keeps signing guys while Sweeney does nothing

Michael Hutchinson - 2yr/$725k
Joey Anderson - 3yr/$750k

Why complain? Sweeney has already locked up plenty of guys at that level :laugh:

Last edited:

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Yeah, not a huge fan, but what you can you?

Guessing the retro reversals will be some variation of these:
Stars05.png

Adidas is supposed to do a league-wide release mid November.

Some have leaked, I suppose changes can be made before final release:

5f8dd4fb34078c19d83a5ef4_1019-main.jpg

5f9081b782c604af2a5f70b7_1021-main.jpg

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not about the NHL but..........wow !!!!!!

EDIT: Apparently still needs to be ratified but it is expected to go through. :dunno:

Even media types are saying this decision is purely political and isn't based on any science that says body-checking where players are in close proximity for literally seconds increases the risks of passing around COVID. Especially considering that there will still be incidental contact, puck battles in the corners, battles in front of the net, face-offs, scrums, etc. Not to mention players sitting closely together on benches, spitting, etc.

They (Ontario Gov't) saw some outbreaks in the Q and now this way if there are similar outbreaks in the O they can say "look, we put in measures to prevent the spread by removing body checking". It's just political grand-standing, a measure so the powers-that-be can shrug their shoulders when something happens and say "well we did XYZ".

This is awful for the players especially those in their draft year. Not every hit is a big smasher, but to take away a key ingredient (body contact) in preventing the opposing team from generating offense and scoring is basically reducing the OHL to shinny hockey. Anyone who played minor hockey with body checking and now plays recreationally in non-contact knows defending is a much different animal when you can't lay the body and all you really have at your disposal is your feet and stick.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This is awful for the players especially those in their draft year. Not every hit is a big smasher, but to take away a key ingredient (body contact) in preventing the opposing team from generating offense and scoring is basically reducing the OHL to shinny hockey.

If this passes it will have a huge effect on those players ( especially defensemen ) who's main strength is using their body to play a strong defensive game. All those players might now might go from a 2nd or 3rd round round pick in their draft year to a 5th or 6th round pick simply because they weren't able to showcase the strongest part of their game. Take a guy like Brandon Carlo - there's no way he would have gone in the 2nd round if he wasn't allowed to bodycheck. :thumbd:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Anyone have any insight on how the league shutting down, bubble playoffs, uncertainty of when it if there will be a season this year, fans or no fans - and how long until fans are allowed back in, how all this is contributing to Seattle's expansion plans?
I'm sure there are contractual obligations by Seattle's ownership that must be fulfilled but as an owner I wouldn't be too eager to start a new team in these uncertain times.
I'm thinking with all the uncertainty and a flat cap it may affect whom Seattle chooses in the expansion draft also whom teams may leave exposed to be picked by Seattle.
If you were Seattle's ownership management team how would you be approaching this situation?
Any thoughts?

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I don't understand how that would help, but it all depends on what is considered a body check. If they are removing "collisions" - players getting run into the boards and open ice checks, but still allow "contact" - defensemen to "play the man" and allow F1 to use their body to angle/close off on the forecheck, it wont be catastrophic. Not good, but not catastrophic. We'll see.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
‘Bargain City’ Offers Keeping Boston Bruins’ Target Hoffman Unsigned

Three weeks into NHL free agency, high-scoring winger Mike Hoffman is still looking for an NHL team despite averaging 28 goals per season in his six-year NHL career. The Boston Bruins are among a half-dozen teams with serious interest in the goal-scorer, and that makes perfect sense given their need for improved secondary scoring beyond the Perfection Line.

But the Boston Bruins are just as guilty as the rest of the NHL in “low-balling” Hoffman to this point in free agent, according to a report from The Athletic. Pierre Lebrun spoke with Hoffman’s agent Robert Hooper this week and reported that the one-year offers for Hoffman have been “between $3.5 and 4.5 million” to this point after Hoffman topped $5 million per season AAV on his last contract.

‘Bargain City’ Offers Keeping Boston Bruins’ Target Hoffman Unsigned

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
Some of these players are getting a damn fine lesson in the basics of Economics. Good old Supply & Demand. Of course, I wish my own lessons had been punctuated with a $4.5 million payday, but I digress....

Not to mention the cost cutting because of the pandemic. Supposedly Anthony Duclair rejected the Sens offer of $4.25 million x 3 years and now represents hmself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad