NHL Around the NHL XXIV - Bubble Hockey Continues..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
And yet, if you look at their boards, most Leafs fans are blaming Andersen for losing a game in which their team scored 0 goals.

IMO it is easier to scapegoat Andersen than one of the Leafs' saviors such as Matthews or Tavares.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if i had a choice playing this next round of playoffs or getting a 1 in 8 chance to pick first overall... i take the playoffs

couldnt really care less who wins this lottery. i hear alot of comparisons between this kid and huberdreau. and admittedly huberdreau has become quite a nice point producing winger the last 2 years. hasnt helped florida make the playoffs though.

edmonton and toronto are loaded with outstanding highly drafted kids... and are both in this lottery

nathan mckinnon might very well be the best player in the nhl and hes gotten his team past the first round of the playoffs once in 7 years

people REALLY OVERRATE the effect that having a first overall pick has on a team

connor mcdavid... past the first round once in 5 years
aaron ekblad... never past the first round in 6 years
nail yakupov... never past the first round... out of the league
ryan nugent hopkins... past the first round once in 8 years
taylor hall... never past the first round in 9 years
john tavares... past first round once in 11 years
steven stamkos... 3 times in 12 years

there hasnt been a guy drafted first overall that has won a cup in the past 12 years since patrick kane went to chicago

honestly i think a team that generates alot of revenue for the league and helps pay the bills probably deserves this pick. i think this kid would get lost in edmonton... i dont think winnipeg will ever be a big generator...

sucks to say it, but for the health of the nhl i think best bet for him is to land in toronto. then they trade marner and nylander for a couple dmen and a winger with some grit/sandpaper.

for the good of the nhl, toronto has to become a legitimate contender... and they are miles away from that now without a lucky break of this sort

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You know how you can spot a dumb hockey fan? They blame the goalie for losing in a shutout.

Or they are wearing a Leafs jersey.

too simple... i wont blame anderson in the case of toronto because their real problem is a lack of compete throughout their lineup...

but if your team has zero/or even low confidence in the goalie then it definitely effects the way you play. the best hockey is when everyone trusts the guy next to them to do the job. you stop pushing things when you think every mistake you make can end up in your net. being afraid to make mistakes also stops you from making miricles too.

nhl level hockey defense is too strong to succeed against it unless you are seriously pushing your opportunities. and honestly, bad/soft goals against at a critical junction will kill a teams moral faster than any other thing that might happen in any game.

goalies dont even have to be great to win... they simply need to have the confidence of the team in front of them that they wont choke on you when you need them most. i daresay anderson in toronto doesnt have that type of confidence from him team.

sadly, im unsure rask has it here in boston either.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
IMO it is easier to scapegoat Andersen than one of the Leafs' saviors such as Matthews or Tavares.
I don't think it's fair to blame Matthews TBH.

He's scored 12 goals in 25 playoff games. That's very good, and it's not far off from his RS average. If you do 25+ playoff games played, he's 26th all-time for playoff goals per game (and top 5 this decade). Most goals scored by a player that hasn't gotten past the 1st round.

To add onto that, these were the ranks of his opponents for goals against per game each year:

2017: Capitals (1st)
2018: Bruins (4th)
2018: Bruins (T-3rd)
2019: Blue Jackets (T-3rd)

I think you can question him stepping up at the right times in his playoff career, but we saw he was capable of doing that in Game 4 and people just immediately discount that now because he didn't score in Game 5. He still staved off elimination in Game 4.

Leafs have proven they're an extremely flawed team and they can't crack through these top defenses with any kind of regularity, but Matthews seems legit to me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Minnesota has Fiala and Kaprizov, I think they're actually one of the more interesting destinations. Nashville is easily the most boring place he could go IMO.

You mean getting to play with a perennial winner like Matt Duchene isn't appealing?

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
So I havent had internet here since Wednesday, visited my parents yesterday who have internet back, and have had no cell service...
So I just found out about the Leafs totally unexpected loss :laugh:
Probably wouldn't have been able to use HF last night anyway!

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Centers can go to wing but it's way more rare the other way around

Correct, but not impossible. I am sure there are players that played wing in junior that ended up finishing their NHL careers at center.
to your credit I am having a hard time finding that obscure info however else I would give you a few names.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Nashville may not have a lot of big name stars but they've got some great players, I wouldn't call them boring.

Forsberg
Arvidsson
Josi
Ellis

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Correct, but not impossible. I am sure there are players that played wing in junior that ended up finishing their NHL careers at center.
to your credit I am having a hard time finding that obscure info however else I would give you a few names.

As someone who has played every position, the most difficult shift is wing to center. I switched from wing to D and it was less difficult than going from wing to center. Centers have as many, if not more, defensive responsibilities as actual defensemen. Can't imagine how hard it is for a lifetime winger to shift to center at the NHL level.

Reactions: Pia8988

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
As someone who has played every position, the most difficult shift is wing to center. I switched from wing to D and it was less difficult than going from wing to center. Centers have as many, if not more, defensive responsibilities as actual defensemen. Can't imagine how hard it is for a lifetime winger to shift to center at the NHL level.

Wheeler did it out of necessity, but he's not exactly good there. It's more that he is better than their 3rd line center and Winnipeg has a lot of quality wingers.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Fair enough

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yes he does.

He has played center on and off depending on who they throw him with on a line.
During their cup run in 2017 he played center

PS: Photo Evidence

That isn't evidence. Hockey-reference is wrong.

He has take 54 career face offs in the regular season and 6 in the playoffs in his 8 year career. Filip Forsberg has played zero minutes at center in the NHL. The entire Seth Jones/Ryan Johansen trade was because they had zero centers. He took two that entire playoff run he played winger.

Filip Forsberg plays LW.

The only recent example of a NHL winger moving to center is Wheeler out of desperation. They tried putting Patrick Kane there and it was a failure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad