NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Imagine being a hyper young player and ending up on a team like the Sabres? That organization just never seems to get their ducks in order.

Extremely unlikely they’d trade him to a division rival. He would be a great fit in Boston style-wise and at a great age.
At least you get to spend your twenties livi g in the thriving hot spot that is Buffalo New York.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I agree with this, I make a McAvoy for Eichel trade all day long. Mac is a good defenceman, Eichel is a generational talent. The numbers he has put up on such a crappy team are unreal. Pencil in JDB and OK on his line and watch out. He could easily score 100 pts playing on our " second line". Then trade Krejci to get a decent 4th dee back for us, or stock up on draft picks.

McAvoy is way more than good. You’re out of your mind. A young #1 stud defenseman is extremely rare. Lets not trade this one away for someone who would be our third best offensive player.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Whaaaaaaaaaaatt....????

For the love of God, kid... STFU.

I’m black and gold till I’m dead and cold, and I respect the Canadiens’ tradition and past accomplishments.

You will never hear me say I “like” them or that I’m a fan.

F*** off, Jack.

I should have said in my post that that comment from Eichel is from 2014. Maybe he’s since changed his thinking?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
McAvoy is way more than good. You’re out of your mind. A young #1 stud defenseman is extremely rare. Lets not trade this one away for someone who would be our third best offensive player.

I don’t think he’d be third for very long...he’s 23 and a number 1 center..who’d want that.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Just think they have more solid young defensive depth in the organization than they have at center. And the teams top 2 centers are 34 years old (just for reference Backes is 35).

the $ won’t work out though so it’s all just talk anyway

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with this, I make a McAvoy for Eichel trade all day long. Mac is a good defenceman, Eichel is a generational talent. The numbers he has put up on such a crappy team are unreal. Pencil in JDB and OK on his line and watch out. He could easily score 100 pts playing on our " second line". Then trade Krejci to get a decent 4th dee back for us, or stock up on draft picks.

Your definition of a generational talent must be different than most.

Reactions: Aeroforce

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Eichel is more of a #1 center than McAvoy is a #1 defenseman
You might be on to something.

The Bruins ALWAYS find a way to get good defensemen. Top forwards have always been hard to come by for this club since I’ve been watching. If they can get a top-flight Center or Wing...? Unless the price completely unfair, it should at least be considered.

Even for a useful tool like Eichel.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You might be on to something.

The Bruins ALWAYS find a way to get good defensemen. Top forwards have always been hard to come by since I’ve been watching. If they can get a top-flight Center or Wing...? Unless the price completely unfair, it should at least be considered.

Even for a useful tool like Eichel.

I do McAvoy for Eichel in a heartbeat. Doubt the Sabers do though.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Jack Eichel is a Habs fan

"I am a Montreal Canadiens fan. I know I probably shouldn't be saying this, but I really like their tradition and there's so much passion in Montreal. I really like their style of play. They've got so much speed and they're always attacking the opposing team. I'm a Bruins fan at heart, but I also really like the Canadiens."

IMO he added the last sentence to not piss off (CYA) the hometown Black & Gold loyalists. Anywhere but Boston for him as far as I'm concerned.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Whaaaaaaaaaaatt....????

For the love of God, kid... STFU.

I’m black and gold till I’m dead and cold, and I respect the Canadiens’ tradition and past accomplishments.

You will never hear me say I “like” them or that I’m a fan.

F*** off, Jack.
Agreed, he is not someone that I could/would root for.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
NHL playoff season comes with plenty of on-ice questions - The Boston Globe

Maybe it’s all the time I’ve spent looking at the same walls the last 11 weeks, but I find it hard to gripe about the NHL’s playoff plan.
If the Bruins or Blues are bothered by the thought of slipping from No. 1 to No. 4 with a poor round-robin showing, they have the right. If the Flyers and Capitals are incensed by the thought of the Penguins, No. 7 in the NHL standings, losing a play-in series and getting a shot at Alexis Lafreniere, well, no shame in that. After selling at the deadline, the Blackhawks or Canadiens could win the Stanley Cup? Sure. Let’s get wild.

All this weirdness means we’re inching closer to normalcy, even if I still have my doubts we see hockey until 2021. Just happy to have it back (potentially, if everyone stays smart about it).
What was laid out this past week is as comprehensive as we can expect, given the state of our pandemic-addled world.

This league has never frozen with 85 percent of its season complete, amid a virus that has trampled some cities and affected the personal and financial health of millions, and then tried to thaw again. I recognize that sports are an escape for many people, but entering the weekend, this virus had killed more than 360,000 worldwide, more than 104,000 in the United States, more than 6,800 in Canada. The numbers are chilling, and inescapable.
Without a vaccine in place, they’re going to try this. Let’s hope they are cautious and transparent as they do so.

Around this time last year, the NHL was excited about the progress of its TV presentation, and we’ve seen bits and pieces of its player-tracking future. How much of it is ready for prime time? Will they crank up the sports betting dial?
As for the in-house look, speaking on an NHL podcast this past week, head of content Steve Mayer panned the idea of cardboard cutouts in the stands. He hinted game rinks could resemble outdoor Winter Classics, which are dotted with visual candy.
“You’re going to see cameras in places we’ve never put them before,” Mayer said. “All these things we’ve wanted to do, we’re going to give them a try.”
More interesting: I would love to hear unfiltered commentary from players, on the ice and in the stands.

This was an exciting week for the sport, and many players will be raring to go. Those with families have more to consider. There are numerous executives, staffers, and some coaches in the 65-and-over risk group, including Dallas interim coach Rick Bowness. Some have underlying health conditions. The Canadiens’ Max Domi, the Wild’s Luke Kunin, and the Rangers’ Kaapo Kakko have Type 1 diabetes. Carolina’s Brett Pesce has asthma. Florida’s Brian Boyle had leukemia treatments two years ago. The CDC considers all of those COVID-19 risk factors.

Woburn trainer Mike Boyle has a message to players returning to the ice, who will stress skating muscles after weeks of dormancy:
“If you try to fast-track this, you’re going to fast-track injuries," he said. "There’s no way to make this happen fast.”
Though the proposed schedule is fluid, NHLers won’t have months to get in shape for the heat of playoff hockey. The average muscle strain, Boyle said, needs two to three weeks to heal.
“It’s natural that your competitive instinct will kick in,” said Boyle, formerly of the Bruins and Boston University, who trains Sabres captain Jack Eicheland other north-of-Boston pros. “This is completely unprecedented. We’ve never shut down for two months. Take your time.”
Bruins captain Zdeno Chara, in his 22nd season, estimated he hasn’t been off skates for this long in his career.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Does everyone believe that every Bruin grew up a Bruin fan?

some might actually even have been canadiens fans...
No but it helps. Most guys become fans of the team that's paying them. But, when a kid grows up rooting for our rivals I lose interest in seeing him as a Bruin, EVER!

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
at the moment. no doubt.

Wait what?

What are peoples definitions of a #1 defense-man? How have you watched him over the last 2 seasons and playoffs and come away with anything other than him being a #1 defense-man? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Reactions: BadBruins

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Remember when the Pred's traded Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen because they had a bunch of defenseman? Didn't go well. And Seth Jones was like there #3 at the time, and they were much more desperate for centers than we are.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Remember when the Pred's traded Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen because they had a bunch of defenseman? Didn't go well. And Seth Jones was like there #3 at the time, and they were much more desperate for centers than we are.

The Preds still have plenty of good defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->