NHL Around the NHL XIII - Penguins acquire Jason Zucker from Wild for Galchenyuk, Addison, pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpg

Reactions: Runner77

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
For anyone interested, here's a rundown of tonight's events: NHL All-Star Skills 2020: time, TV channel, stream, how to watch

Looking over it, I think I'll pass.

The incendiary threads on the main board over various aspects of the ASG have suggested it's geared toward children and casual fans. I'm inclined to agree. Not sure about spending a Friday night watching hockey players shooting pucks from the balcony.;)

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
There's just nothing left that appeals to me. Used to be you actually got all the big names together and it was cool to see them on the same team. You figured a lot of them would be in the HOF at some point.

Now, not so much. Plus everything is just too gimmicky.

If they brought Chara back to challenge Weber on the hardest shot, I'd at least watch that.

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
For anyone interested, here's a rundown of tonight's events: NHL All-Star Skills 2020: time, TV channel, stream, how to watch

Looking over it, I think I'll pass.

The incendiary threads on the main board over various aspects of the ASG have suggested it's geared toward children and casual fans. I'm inclined to agree. Not sure about spending a Friday night watching hockey players shooting pucks from the balcony.;)

Yeah it's definitely primarily for kids and families these days, and largely set up as a media junket and promotional event. Targeting families is no bad thing in itself, but the way it's done now takes all the heat out of it and a chance to really see the best players properly go at it and show their skills in the heat of battle, rather than just in challenges or gimmicks.

The timing of it is slightly out too. With such a tough schedule now and all the money at stake there's a massive incentive for players to want as long a mid-season break at possible. So how it should work is pretty much every team plays on the Thursday, then the all-star players fly in to the host city Thursday night or Friday morning, promo and skills stuff happens Friday arvo and evening, the game/s happen on Saturday, and you're done. That way the selected all-stars all only get 2 days less off than everyone else. The scheduling and travel would be tight, but it could be done, and it's not like the players need a long time to get together and gel as teams - chat Friday, skate Saturday morning, and you're good enough to go. If the league did that, I reckon they'd have less issues with players not wanting to be involved.

Reactions: Aeroforce

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Bergy and Zee on the second team. Not bad, considering all the options.

I'm amazed that "Top 100 of all time" Toews didn't make it on either "all decade" team, though. :popcorn:;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady Rhian

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
St. Louis fans booing everyone except their own Blues. Stay classy...

The on-ice camera is moving too fast, cant read Jersey names and its giving me motion sickness :cry:

Reactions: BMC

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Yeah it's definitely primarily for kids and families these days, and largely set up as a media junket and promotional event. Targeting families is no bad thing in itself, but the way it's done now takes all the heat out of it and a chance to really see the best players properly go at it and show their skills in the heat of battle, rather than just in challenges or gimmicks.

The timing of it is slightly out too. With such a tough schedule now and all the money at stake there's a massive incentive for players to want as long a mid-season break at possible. So how it should work is pretty much every team plays on the Thursday, then the all-star players fly in to the host city Thursday night or Friday morning, promo and skills stuff happens Friday arvo and evening, the game/s happen on Saturday, and you're done. That way the selected all-stars all only get 2 days less off than everyone else. The scheduling and travel would be tight, but it could be done, and it's not like the players need a long time to get together and gel as teams - chat Friday, skate Saturday morning, and you're good enough to go. If the league did that, I reckon they'd have less issues with players not wanting to be involved.
I agree, and found it unfair to the players selected to have this right in the midst of their break.

Even before Rask's injury, I was fine with him sitting this out.

I watched the first part but will watch only highlights of the rest. Will say this - would not want to be sitting just in front of that 30 foot platform pucks will be shot from!

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Haha I love that the announcer just introduced Gretzky as one of the greatest players in the history of the game ...

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Kreider led for most of it, got ousted by Barzal who wins it. Kreider ends up 3rd behind McDavid and Barzal.

Not too shabby.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Barzal was flying, but I think Eichel came in 2nd or 3rd if they replay it. It seemed as if the clock kept ticking when he passed the finish line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad