NHL Around the NHL XI - Hall traded to Coyotes by Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Rick Bowness- there's a name from the past :nod:
Always liked Bowness, one season, 3rd round exit, didn`t think Rick was the issue but maybe I`m forgetting something from that time? I did get to meet him a number of times when still living in Ottawa as one of the only things Sens owners did at the time right was they had an absolute ton of season ticket holder events where you often rubbed shoulders with players and coaches and Rick was always more than gracious with his time and anytime I left a conversation with him (albeit brief), I always felt like he was a genuinely nice guy

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If you could name coaches around the league in terms of least likely to be fired, he'd be right near the top of my list. That guy's system completely turned the Stars around into a team that would be extremely difficult to beat in a 7-game series. Defensive structure with the firepower to provide enough offense on the counterattack. Obviously I understand that's not why he was fired, but from a hockey standpoint, this is doing the rest of the league a huge favor.

Radulov probably cried because he was a healthy scratch and in this time where you can`t so much as raise your voice at anyone without someone being offended, he got the boot

Reactions: Jim and BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm not an HR person so maybe @Alicat could weigh in on this- by moving so quickly to get ahead of these accusations/allegations by firing people aren't the teams opening themselves up to wrongful termination lawsuits??? Sooner or later a team is going to burn themselves by firing someone & it turns out that person was innocent.

No.

These are contract employees, not employees at will. The contract would include conduct clauses.

In addition, I'm fairly certain there would have been an internal investigation completed prior to making the decision to terminate the contract.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
No.

These are contract employees, not employees at will. The contract would include conduct clauses.

In addition, I'm fairly certain there would have been an internal investigation completed prior to making the decision to terminate the contract.

Yup contracts....game, set, match.....

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Suspensions without pay PLUS a big fine. Hit the twatwaffles where it hurts the most.

Would the NHLPA go for it? The present fine & suspension system is a joke. Here you have a small % of the membership causing a large % of trouble for the rest of the membership. Why hasn't the NHLPA take a stronger stand against this ****?

I actually like the alternative side.

FORCE the team to play the player ever other shift for at least 20 minutes a night. For as many games as a suspension.

It would put an immediate stop to these 4th line sandpaper guys in the NHL if a team had to play them 20 mins a night and be a key part of their own teams demise in the standings.
It's essentially a league-mandated bag skate for the player while also punishing the team for playing them in the first place. The result is the team forcing a non-star player into high minutes which is going to lose them games. The player knowns the entire time they are dragging their own team down. That kind of embarrassment is a better deterrent than a $$$ fine.

The entire league would stop playing bottom feeders like Rinaldo for fear it would affect their standings if he gets dinged by DoPS.

For star players, you just suspend them as normal. No use forcing Marchand to play for 20 mins a night. It would exhaust him, but he is a helluva player and thats not exactly punishment.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Lol *goes over all the points from the BOG meeting and concocts a list of every possible thing that wasn't listed that he could have done*

We can make a whole thread of stuff that could get him fired:

Playing beer pong between periods.

Team betting on the female rinkside reporters 3 sizes.

Leaving his used head shavers around the locker room.

Reactions: BMC

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Always liked Bowness, one season, 3rd round exit, didn`t think Rick was the issue but maybe I`m forgetting something from that time? I did get to meet him a number of times when still living in Ottawa as one of the only things Sens owners did at the time right was they had an absolute ton of season ticket holder events where you often rubbed shoulders with players and coaches and Rick was always more than gracious with his time and anytime I left a conversation with him (albeit brief), I always felt like he was a genuinely nice guy

My recollection is he did absolutely nothing wrong. But Brian Sutter became available, and Harry practically offered to carry him from St. Louis on his back. Which led to a classic Globe article where Rick Bowness' wife tore Harry a new.....let's say rearend:)

I know you can find it Fenway!!

Reactions: Strafer

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
When you think of it, canning a guy after losing to Lemieux and Jagr in the Stanley Cup semi-finals?? Pretty brutal.

I do remember Bowness getting KO'd by a puck behind the bench during a game.

Reactions: Number8 and Strafer

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Fire up the tar and pluck all the geese.......wait until players start turning in players. Then teams are going to have a real conundrum: cancel a contract of a star player???

“Well....uhhh....hockey is for everyone....but we think a 1 game suspension is sufficient in this case.....”

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad