OT: Around the NHL - where coaches are hired to be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Always concern with prospects, we were so high on Pouliot, Despres, Harrington, Morrow and look how those turned out. Prospects are just crapshoots, I doubt anyone would have Makar would be this awesome from the get go, or Marino for example who was a 6th round pick and plays like he's a top 10 pick.

Damnit Kessel...could have traded Pouliot over Kapanen. Coulda have had Zucker for you as well. Ah well, maybe some other reality that happened.
The difference is that...

Pouliot, Harrington, and Morrow all were in WBS or the NHL to show what they had and were expendable given that, Morrow for one wasn't really wanting to learn or take advice from what I heard, Pouliot was just a waste of a pick and prospect. Harrington was someone people were insanely high on, might have carved out a career as a 3rd pair on the Pens, he did in Columbus.

Despres should be a top pair player, but he had a concussion and then lied and tried to play through it and got concussed again, that's just unfortunate.

Addison is still in juniors. All signs point to a kid that wants to work on his flaws, so I hope he has a great career, the other situations are whatever, I have never heard of Addison having those issues of being cocky about his game and not wanting to improve (morrow) or lack of intensity and brains (Pouliot) and just being a casualty of a team wanting experience/talent (Harrington, Despres).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ya I know what you are saying, and people do suddenly find reasons why a prospect wasn't that good suddenly when he's moved.

However, I'm just pointing out there were many debates about Addison and there were some legit worries about his size and play in his own end long before he was ever moved.

I overlooked that stuff with DP, so you live and learn.

He was still a good prospect, but it never felt like most posters I debated with were ever salivating over him or anything, myself included.

There's the concern about his size and he (Addison) had addressed that in the off season that he wanted to work on his strength and getting better in his end. So a guy that had those flaws and knows they are flaws and addresses them, is a prospect that usually had his head on straight and should develop well given he wants to fix that. I hope he is good for Billy G. I don't subscribe to the notion that a kid that actively acknowledges his flaws and works on it, is suddenly going to be some hasbeens this team had in the past.

I can't say the same for Morrow or Pouliot, they either thought they didn't need to work on stuff like Morrow who wasn't coachable, or Pouliot who just seemed like such an idiot. Harrington and Despres were just a part of deals to get this team the right guys for cups and the trades that both were involved in, directly resulted in back 2 back cups.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Agreeing with @Honour Over Glory here. You may love the Zucker trade but no need to try to tear Addison down. Seemed like a guy who could be a PPQB but actually may have a brain unlike Pouliot. I'll be curious to see if he pans out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreeing with @Honour Over Glory here. You may love the Zucker trade but no need to try to tear Addison down. Seemed like a guy who could be a PPQB but actually may have a brain unlike Pouliot. I'll be curious to see if he pans out.
Yeah I don't get why people want to keep tearing Addison down, I absolutely hate that. Pouliot was such a moron, Addison is a good kid that knows what he needs to work on, I remember reading he wanted to bulk up the summer before he joins WBS and round out his game.

Pouliot, is a nitwit. Addison seems like a kid that will make it, has the right attitude and has the talent to back it up.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There's the concern about his size and he (Addison) had addressed that in the off season that he wanted to work on his strength and getting better in his end. So a guy that had those flaws and knows they are flaws and addresses them, is a prospect that usually had his head on straight and should develop well given he wants to fix that. I hope he is good for Billy G. I don't subscribe to the notion that a kid that actively acknowledges his flaws and works on it, is suddenly going to be some hasbeens this team had in the past.

I can't say the same for Morrow or Pouliot, they either thought they didn't need to work on stuff like Morrow who wasn't coachable, or Pouliot who just seemed like such an idiot. Harrington and Despres were just a part of deals to get this team the right guys for cups and the trades that both were involved in, directly resulted in back 2 back cups.

He's fun to watch, and I wanted him to stay a Pen, but acknowledging your flaws and working on them doesn't necessarily mean they won't remain issues.

I just saw him as a fringe top four guy and never bought into the nonsense he was Letang's future replacement.

I definitely hope he works out though, but again it's not like he was Poulin who many of us are really excited about and can't find any real flaws that are concerning.

If he got traded and people started downplaying like he wasn't very well thought of around here, then ya, that would be some revisionist history there.

It's not tearing Addison down to justify getting Zucker if you thought that way about him before the trade.

Once again, I never saw any evidence people around here were enamored with him until the WJCs and that was more recency bias than anything.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah I don't get why people want to keep tearing Addison down, I absolutely hate that. Pouliot was such a moron, Addison is a good kid that knows what he needs to work on, I remember reading he wanted to bulk up the summer before he joins WBS and round out his game.

Pouliot, is a nitwit. Addison seems like a kid that will make it, has the right attitude and has the talent to back it up.
I rather have prospects that know what they need to work on and go and do it, not get drafted and that's it. Go make yourself a better player. Addison and Poulin for example.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I rather have prospects that know what they need to work on and go and do it, not get drafted and that's it. Go make yourself a better player. Addison and Poulin for example.
Yeah exactly - Addison wanted to work on his game and knew what he needed to do, to make sure he can handle WBS not even the NHL, he knew his path would start from WBS, I respect that. Kid knows he's got work to do. It seemed like Pouliot and Morrow were just entitled and felt their draft status meant they should be in the NHL, didn't think it would take as much work as it did. It's a miracle either of those 2 ever played as many games as they ended up playing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's fun to watch, and I wanted him to stay a Pen, but acknowledging your flaws and working on them doesn't necessarily mean they won't remain issues.

I just saw him as a fringe top four guy and never bought into the nonsense he was Letang's future replacement.

I definitely hope he works out though, but again it's not like he was Poulin who many of us are really excited about and can't find any real flaws that are concerning.

If he got traded and people started downplaying like he wasn't very well thought of around here, then ya, that would be some revisionist history there.
I honestly thought we were going to lose Poulin in a deal for Zucker. While it still sucks to lose Addison, the only reason I am not bitter about it, is because JR/Stevens made Marino happen, literally a diamond in the rough that made losing a solid prospect, palatable.

I still think Will Reilly is a kid to look out for too. But I hate the whole thing this place does in the main forum when their team gives up a prospect - "Oh, he's a nobody, lucky if he's even a top 6 player, which he never will be." That was what canucks fans that were bitter about losing a damn solid prospect like Madden, were trying to pawn off.

Like their lame ass message board opinion changes the fact that he's literally considered good enough to be a late 1st in that same draft class and that scout is responsible for a load of their best prospects from the US HS/College route.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rantanen pulls a Guentzel into the boards.

If he's out longterm, Avs are going after Kreider hard I'd imagine.

Reactions: HuskerTornado

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pens still the standard bearer, but injuries around the league to good players seem horrible this year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I honestly thought we were going to lose Poulin in a deal for Zucker. While it still sucks to lose Addison, the only reason I am not bitter about it, is because JR/Stevens made Marino happen, literally a diamond in the rough that made losing a solid prospect, palatable.

I still think Will Reilly is a kid to look out for too. But I hate the whole thing this place does in the main forum when their team gives up a prospect - "Oh, he's a nobody, lucky if he's even a top 6 player, which he never will be." That was what canucks fans that were bitter about losing a damn solid prospect like Madden, were trying to pawn off.

Like their lame ass message board opinion changes the fact that he's literally considered good enough to be a late 1st in that same draft class and that scout is responsible for a load of their best prospects from the US HS/College route.

Ya no doubt that lame shit happens, and it happens around here as well.

It just wasn't the case with Addison.

Rantanen just wrecked his shoulder again.

Ya I saw that live and it was brutal.

He was cursing as he went off... he knows he's f***ed up.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
thank you for losing again Caps...we have a chance to take over first in the Metro with a win over TOR tomorrow...

Reirden wasn’t a good coach here & he’s not clearly a bench boss either. Craps have back end issues & per usual, the stress is getting to them. 2018 is becoming more & more a fluke, rather than a breakthrough.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
More reasons why I don't bring Jake back at all this season and consider him done for the season, not the playoffs. He should be done until October.

Josh Anderson, Rantanen, etc. Shoulder injuries need way more time than those stupid "6-8 month" assessments for time frames.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man, Michael Ferland looks like he's done.

Concussion to start the season, went down to Utica, then concussion-like symptoms again and he's done for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->