NHL Around the NHL - Washington hoists the Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
One thing is evident by the Caps cup win.......Teams still need to be BIG on the puc and skate. MEN win the cup, not kids. Light in the ass kids like Bjork and Donato will need to grow up and drink some milkshakes before they get near it. Size matters in hockey, so does age.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
One thing is evident by the Caps cup win.......Teams still need to be BIG on the puc and skate. MEN win the cup, not kids. Light in the ass kids like Bjork and Donato will need to grow up and drink some milkshakes before they get near it. Size matters in hockey, so does age.

You mean 2 rookies in their first years didn't carry their team to the cup? One of which didn't even play. A lot of hockey knowledge stuffed into this post...

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Crosby? Guentzel? Hagelin? Kessel (Listed at 6, 202. Think he’s more like 5’10, 225)? Bryan Rust? Scott Wilson?

All key guys in the playoffs and Kessel is the only one that’s 6 feet (yeah, right lol).
I'm talking Tampa small not guys that are almost 6' . 6' feet is not small.
Also look at the rosters that actually won the cups not the one that just got eliminated in the second round.
Another thing,"you think"? Tell me, do you think the Pens are the only team that has inaccurate weights and measures?

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I usually think JR is a bit of a goof but credit where credit is due. He handled that respectfully and with great class. Didn't sensationalize it or try to draw out the moment -- just let it be and congratulated Oshie.

Doc Emerick would have immediately launched into a 10 minute soliloquy on "the bountiful joys and respective sorrows so well known to those who have been sired by parents that, while still strong of heart, have been inevitably and inexorably worn down by the passage of time. It ....... is........ the beautiful game...... one that provides moments of pure joy and sometimes a touch of sadness that serve to remind us of how beautiful, if somewhat imperfect, life can be."

Good for you JR (can't believe I'm saying this).

Reactions: Bruinaura

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm talking Tampa small not guys that are almost 6' . 6' feet is not small.
Also look at the rosters that actually won the cups not the one that just got eliminated in the second round.
Another thing,"you think"? Tell me, do you think the Pens are the only team that has inaccurate weights and measures?
so if the Bruins iced a team where every guy was exactly 6 feet you'd be satisfied? That team would be "big" enough to win a cup for you? wtf is even your point? That only "big" teams win cups? ok, define "big" as it applies to an entire team. Average height? number of guys over a certain height? maximum number of guys under a certain height?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
From the main boards, has special meaning for us

Fixed this

34584076_1903537349680147_6699382484716486656_n.jpg

Reactions: BMC, Dr Hook and TP

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Never thought I would say this but man am I glad the Caps won the cup. Couldn't stomach seeing an expansion team winning the cup, terrible look for the league. Just shows how much stronger the East is over the west once you get past Nashville and maybe Winnipeg.

Reactions: bbfan419

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
You mean 2 rookies in their first years didn't carry their team to the cup? One of which didn't even play. A lot of hockey knowledge stuffed into this post...
No....I meant two nice young players with potential that have a long way to go to compete at the level needed to win a cup,........KIDS that guys like you made out to be Middleton and Bossy and thought they could actually play at that level. ......You missed that by a mile didnt ya ???...LOL, Hey lets just stick this kid Bjork on the first line. I cant say how many times i read that on this board. We need a Tom Wilson way more then we need an Anders Bjork, thats for sure.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
No....I meant two nice young players with potential that have a long way to go to compete at the level needed to win a cup,........KIDS that guys like you made out to be Middleton and Bossy and thought they could actually play at that level. ......You missed that by a mile didnt ya ???...LOL, Hey lets just stick this kid Bjork on the first line. I cant say how many times i read that on this board. We need a Tom Wilson way more then we need an Anders Bjork, thats for sure.

Literally posted today

Backes for Lucic, Edmonton Wins
Krug for Nurse, we win long term if Nurse hits his ceiling, Oilers win right now.
Donato for 2nd, I don't care much for Donato like most do here, but I'll still take him over a 2nd.

Overall a bad trade for us, especially if Nurse costs 6.66 a season.

Before you fire off make sure to actually fact check your feelings next time.

Embarrassing.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Most any year winning the Cup in this era of parity involves getting a perfect storm. Have to be a bit lucky and not have too many key injuries. Need multiple lines clicking at the same time. Need multiple players to step up and overachieve. Need some breaks here and there. Need your goalie to be hot, etc. This year it worked out for the Caps. They had all of the aforementioned things going for them, and at the best possible time. Their role players came up massive. Guys you never would have thought as being important to a Cup winning team played extremely well, both defensively and offensively. And of course their stars played amazing hockey at the right time. It'll be interesting to see who Caps' management brings back for next season. Several of their key playoff players have to be re-signed in the offseason, and will be seeking pay raises.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Most any year winning the Cup in this era of parity involves getting a perfect storm. Have to be a bit lucky and not have too many key injuries. Need multiple lines clicking at the same time. Need multiple players to step up and overachieve. Need some breaks here and there. Need your goalie to be hot, etc. This year it worked out for the Caps. They had all of the aforementioned things going for them, and at the best possible time. Their role players came up massive. Guys you never would have thought as being important to a Cup winning team played extremely well, both defensively and offensively. And of course their stars played amazing hockey at the right time. It'll be interesting to see who Caps' management brings back for next season. Several of their key playoff players have to be re-signed in the offseason, and will be seeking pay raises.
Couldn't agree more. Seems like every year fans take the approach that teams need to somehow mimic/copy the "new model" presented by the winning team. One year it's big and physical. One year it's fast and agile. Etc.,

Bottom line is you need to be a good team that then does/has all of the things that you outline above (timing, injuries, role players playing role, breaks, momentum, goalie hot - or at least not cold - at right time, etc). Most of that is not open to mimicry or copying.

For me the things that stood out for me making the biggest difference on Washington (i.e. this years model to copy) have all been part of Washington for a long time. A period of time with tons of shortfalls and heartache. Lined up well for them this season -- good for them. I'm personally glad Ovechkin won a Cup. Fair is fair -- he deserves it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Habs radio is grilling the MTL GM to do something after DSP and Eller put the game away lol

Considering the Habs pure desperation at this point for center-men, moving out Eller to essentially bring in Shaw looks like another terrible move by the Habs.

Breaks my heart.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Perspective | For Capitals and their fans, tears of joy replace years of frustration

The concept that “justice too long delayed is justice denied” can be traced back centuries. But among its many applications, the Capitals, and especially the players of the Ovi era, deserve to have it applied to them. This Cup is justice delivered — just in time, when many in the NHL thought they had squandered their last chances — by the Caps’ own determined hands.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Never thought I would say this but man am I glad the Caps won the cup. Couldn't stomach seeing an expansion team winning the cup, terrible look for the league. Just shows how much stronger the East is over the west once you get past Nashville and maybe Winnipeg.
Well said and my thoughts exactly, did not want Vegas to win. They certainly had the best year of any first year expansion team, but I don't think they are as good as most think, don't forget they did play in the weakest division in the NHL.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I usually think JR is a bit of a goof but credit where credit is due. He handled that respectfully and with great class. Didn't sensationalize it or try to draw out the moment -- just let it be and congratulated Oshie.

Doc Emerick would have immediately launched into a 10 minute soliloquy on "the bountiful joys and respective sorrows so well known to those who have been sired by parents that, while still strong of heart, have been inevitably and inexorably worn down by the passage of time. It ....... is........ the beautiful game...... one that provides moments of pure joy and sometimes a touch of sadness that serve to remind us of how beautiful, if somewhat imperfect, life can be."

Good for you JR (can't believe I'm saying this).
You do quite a good Doc Emerick impression :laugh:

Reactions: JRull86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad