Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
"It" being the Oilers franchise in this case

McDavid nor anyone else can't turn a franchise around single handily. It's foolish to expect otherwise. There has been a shit load of mismanagement of this franchise . Chia was the last thing this franchise needed considering his predecessors . Hope Holland can do better, so far, he leaves me wanting. Maybe there's something in the air up there that makes everyone so crazy. Must have something to do with the global warming thing because before that they were Aces.

Last edited:

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
McDavid nor anyone else can't turn a franchise around single handily. It's foolish to expect otherwise. There has been a **** load of mismanagement of this franchise . Chia was the last thing this franchise needed considering his predecessors . Hope Holland can do better, so far, he leaves me wanting. Maybe there's something in the air up there that makes everyone so crazy. Must have something to do with the global warming thing because before that they were Aces.
Is their any "fracking" being done around Edmontons water supply? Seriously tho, i used to think that EVENTUALLY oil fans would stop showing up and supporting the dumpster fire that has been their team the last decade. F'ing place still sells out, still selling hella merchandise. I used to think "man if they dont get it together they could lose the team" but even after snagging McDavid and STILL being awful and STILL selling out and STILL selling hella merch i now believe Edmonton will always have a team. Like, who is to blame? Obviously management but at what point do you start shaking the stick at the fanbase for supporting/enabling it to happen?

Reactions: JOKER 192

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Is their any "fracking" being done around Edmontons water supply? Seriously tho, i used to think that EVENTUALLY oil fans would stop showing up and supporting the dumpster fire that has been their team the last decade. F'ing place still sells out, still selling hella merchandise. I used to think "man if they dont get it together they could lose the team" but even after snagging McDavid and STILL being awful and STILL selling out and STILL selling hella merch i now believe Edmonton will always have a team. Like, who is to blame? Obviously management but at what point do you start shaking the stick at the fanbase for supporting/enabling it to happen?

Agreed. Oilers fans are stupidly still buying tickets and merchandise and perpetuating the mediocrity there in their own way. I have no sympathy for those fans. In fact, they've been spoiled since the 1980s, including by having Gretzky and being gifted McDavid. That franchise has five Stanley Cups to its name. I think of the many other NHL franchises that would kill to have just one.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Matthews' fashion sense gets a solid -4367 from me o_O :help: :laugh:

I don't even know where to begin... The hair... The shorts.... The socks/sandals combo... Wowsers lol

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Matthews' fashion sense gets a solid -4367 from me o_O :help: :laugh:

I don't even know where to begin... The hair... The shorts.... The socks/sandals combo... Wowsers lol

As someone who was blessed with the balding gene at a young age, I feel for Matthews. But in all honesty with the money he makes, there are ways to mitigate what's going on up there. Cuz whatever he's trying to pull off now is not working.

Reactions: Dr Hook

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
As someone who was blessed with the balding gene at a young age, I feel for Matthews. But in all honesty with the money he makes, there are ways to mitigate what's going on up there. Cuz whatever he's trying to pull off now is not working.
Haha, yeah, slicking it back only makes it more obvious.

He's going to be like Phil Kessel when he's 30 if he's lucky. If not the full Getzlaf.

Reactions: Sarcoyne

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Did the City of Calgary cave in to demands for corporate welfare?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/city-of-...ntre-split-project-cost-with-flames-1.4519091

The deal will see the City and the CSEC each contribute $275M to the project and the City will own the building. The Flames will run operations as part of a lease lasting 35 years and will fund all maintenance and repairs throughout the tenure of the lease.

"This is a good deal for Calgary," said Mayor Nenshi. "For some years now, I've been saying that any investment of public money in this project must come with public benefit. This deal does that."

"The City of Calgary will receive a facility fee on every ticket sold to every event for 35 years. The City will receive a share of naming rights, CSEC will invest even more than they do now in amateur sports and community here in the city."

"We're thrilled to stand in front of you today after not months but years, frankly, of dealing with the notion of a new home for our teams and a new place builder for our city," said Ken King, vice-chairman of CSEC. "This is a submission of a three party agreement and I emphasize it's a submission. There are many more critical steps to take."

If approved, construction on the event centre is slated to begin in 2021 and the main facility will have a seating capacity of 19,000. City council is scheduled to vote on the agreement on July 29.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good for Calgary that deal looks reasonable on both ends.

I can't believe the Flames didn't get Edmonton to retain more on Lucic but I like that trade a lot for off the ice reasons Lucic is a good dude and can protect their skill players Neil is an annual lock for one of the 5 biggest scumbags in the NHL.

I wish we could draft like them.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/city-of-...ntre-split-project-cost-with-flames-1.4519091

The deal will see the City and the CSEC each contribute $275M to the project and the City will own the building. The Flames will run operations as part of a lease lasting 35 years and will fund all maintenance and repairs throughout the tenure of the lease.

"This is a good deal for Calgary," said Mayor Nenshi. "For some years now, I've been saying that any investment of public money in this project must come with public benefit. This deal does that."

"The City of Calgary will receive a facility fee on every ticket sold to every event for 35 years. The City will receive a share of naming rights, CSEC will invest even more than they do now in amateur sports and community here in the city."

"We're thrilled to stand in front of you today after not months but years, frankly, of dealing with the notion of a new home for our teams and a new place builder for our city," said Ken King, vice-chairman of CSEC. "This is a submission of a three party agreement and I emphasize it's a submission. There are many more critical steps to take."

If approved, construction on the event centre is slated to begin in 2021 and the main facility will have a seating capacity of 19,000. City council is scheduled to vote on the agreement on July 29.

Well, the city didn't get completely bent over like Edmonton did. Sounds as if Nenshi did cave in part, though.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Good for Calgary that deal looks reasonable on both ends.

I can't believe the Flames didn't get Edmonton to retain more on Lucic but I like that trade a lot for off the ice reasons Lucic is a good dude and can protect their skill players Neil is an annual lock for one of the 5 biggest scumbags in the NHL.

I wish we could draft like them.

What am I missing here?

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Would we have been against a Backes for Neal trade similar to this one? I think Neal may have had a negative effect on the locker room, but he’s bound to have a bounce back year this year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Would we have been against a Backes for Neal trade similar to this one? I think Neal may have had a negative effect on the locker room, but he’s bound to have a bounce back year this year.

Would have helped in the next 2 years. And then I'd assume it would sort of be like the situation we are in right now with Backes. Probably ends in a buyout.

But you'd probably get 1 more really good year out of him with Krejci and then a contract you can actually buyout.

I'd do it if he were a good dude like Lucic and Backes.

Reactions: The National

False Start

May 8, 2018
Sisson's signing that contract makes me wonder what we can lock up Kuraly for.

maybe 5 yrs at 2.25-2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad