NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
When do the TV contracts in the US expire? i feel like the Leafs are banking on an increase in the cap beyond the usual year-over-year growth. But i think counting on a big TV deal in the states is foolish. Sportsnet way over-paid in Canada a few years ago and aren't seeing the pay off they were expecting. Networks in the States will be very wary

For me it's not even if they can afford these contracts, which would be fine if they were only competing against themselves, but if The Cap goes up that puts Tampa and Boston in an even better situation over the next five years. Your top 2 'rivals' that are already better also will have millions more to spend every year. They need all three of those kids to go next level or for The Bruins to age out with Bergeron and Krejci and even then, unless Point is holding out for $13M, they have no hope of catching Tampa.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I like Marner but - he's the highest paid winger in the NHL. Ovechkin, Iginla and P. Kane are the only wingers in the past 20 years that you can argue should be right up there money-wise (possibly Kucherov with another year) - Hall, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Marchand, Perry, Wheeler, Gaborik, Parise, Draisatl, etc. are/were great players but there's just no way you can pay a winger that much. Near every team that's tried has collapsed. T.O. has two great centres so that really helps but they have $20M or so tied up in two wingers, whom although good, aren't all that and a bag of chips.
All three of their kids have to pretty much combine for 300 points and conference finals for the next few years to live up to their contracts.

And all 3 are one concussion or blown knee away from not being able to do that. Oops. I know the contracts are insured but that doesn't matter when the guy's replacement can't get above 55-60 points.

Reactions: b in vancouver

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
When do the TV contracts in the US expire? i feel like the Leafs are banking on an increase in the cap beyond the usual year-over-year growth. But i think counting on a big TV deal in the states is foolish. Sportsnet way over-paid in Canada a few years ago and aren't seeing the pay off they were expecting. Networks in the States will be very wary

Ya maybe, but there is a big difference in that comparison. Sportsnet way over paid to wrestle the rights from TSN. To me that is a bigger concern down the road. When it's time to renew that deal. The US deal is way underpay, it should be no problem getting twice if not 3 times what they are getting now.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Ya maybe, but there is a big difference in that comparison. Sportsnet way over paid to wrestle the rights from TSN. To me that is a bigger concern down the road. When it's time to renew that deal. The US deal is way underpay, it should be no problem getting twice if not 3 times what they are getting now.

Big money is going to come from betting.

By the time those 3 contracts are up in Toronto, projections put the cap at $100 million

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
And all 3 are one concussion or blown knee away from not being able to do that. Oops. I know the contracts are insured but that doesn't matter when the guy's replacement can't get above 55-60 points.

Just the latest chapter in the ' Tanking Doesn't Work' novel I've been writing in my head.
Toronto purposefully sucks for years and sell this Shanaplan to their fanbase and STHers and whomever else and don't stop talking about how this mythical future is going to be so bright they might as well be Corey Hart with all these great high picks they have coming but like every team in the past decade or more that has tried it, they can't punch through while the kids are on their ELCs, they've marketed them way too heavily to justify trading them as every Leaf fan owns at least one of their sweaters and then when second contracts come up the players simply have way more leverage than the team and demand top dollar which the team has to dole out or look incredibly bad. Right around the time the team actually gets built up around them it has to be torn down again to afford these kids.

Players like Pasta aren't going to command as much as Drai, Marner, Laine simply because The Bruins were good when they drafted him and had a lot of faces and names we relate to like Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, Krug and Rask that they could just as easily sell to their fanbase. Giroux, Gaudreau,
Every once in awhile a team will strike oil like The Avs did with MacKinnon, a high pick that took a major step forward right after signing the contract or The Canucks with The Sedins but most of the time teams are paying way too much because they've had to keep people interested and married the franchise to one or two players that ain't Sid or Ovy.

A third of the teams continue to toil at the bottom of the league and simply sell their fans a 'future' that - in reality won't happen for 9 out of 10.
Two of the 'anti-tank' teams just met in The Finals. I hope I don't have to watch another Tank team win again as people still point to the Hawks despite remembering what was actually going on there with Bill Wirtz nearly destroying the franchise.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
They don’t have quality depth and won’t be able to go outside organization to get it

If they are exceptionally healthy they should be in good shape

Protects them from making a Backes like blunder. I mean they did find a way to upgrade their D from last year even if its not exactly loaded its good and better than what they had.

Look at the age of their top 7 forwards signed long term. 6 are 25 or younger and Tavares is 28. You have three good lines there and aren't gonna waste money on a fourth.

I think they are fine in net. Andreson is a solid starter. Next year they can probably trade him for another goalie with more term for the same 5 mil per.

I'll feel better about us once Carlo and McAvoy are signed. Then its just a case of what do we have in the organization and if the guys who are close can step in and become NHL regulars.

I think our division got a lot better overnight and we are the ones who are vulnerable to injuries given the age of key guys and the fact we might have 2 stud young D men hitting road bumps if they miss regular season games due to contract negotiations (not worrying about this for another week hopefully the recent signings push both sides to get something done.)

Reactions: Estlin

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
What you say about Marner may be true but nobody held a gun to the GM's head and told him to give Marner that kind of money. I'm sure if he had put Marner on the trading block there would have been teams lined up willing to sell their souls to get him on their team.[/QUOTE

I think Jacobs could have brought Marner in at sub 7 million using different forms pressure. The Toronto GM made this deal out of fear bc of potentially losing the player and the hysterical fanbase reaction IMO.

I dont find Marner elite. Good player sure but hardly a player that can elevate a team in April. 11 million is absurd

Reactions: BMC

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Again I don't want to fluff Toronto as a Cup contender built for 16 playoff wins.

But that young forward core is going to get ALOT of kicks at the Cup there isn't a Chicago style tear down imminent and their blueline will be OK they found a way to upgrade it this year.

I can't wait until we have our D core locked up for what 2 of their forwards make. McAvoy 7.5 Carlo 4 Krug 7.5 Gryz 3.5. Only worry is the expansion draft. We should really give Gryz a 1 year extension ASAP so he can be a RFA and not exposed to the draft.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I like Marner but - he's the highest paid winger in the NHL. Ovechkin, Iginla and P. Kane are the only wingers in the past 20 years that you can argue should be right up there money-wise (possibly Kucherov with another year) - Hall, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Marchand, Perry, Wheeler, Gaborik, Parise, Draisatl, etc. are/were great players but there's just no way you can pay a winger that much. Near every team that's tried has collapsed. T.O. has two great centres so that really helps but they have $20M or so tied up in two wingers, whom although good, aren't all that and a bag of chips.
All three of their kids have to pretty much combine for 300 points and conference finals for the next few years to live up to their contracts.

You gotta spend the money somewhere. They are lucky they had a winger as good as Tavares worth playing what Tavares makes. Would you rather have that and an ELC or spend 11 mil on Nylander and a 4 mil shitty 3rd liner?

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Torey Krug, on the other hand, does. If that’s the kind of money that he is looking for, then I’d say “so long”.

And then, if you want to get another elite D lile Krug, you will need to spend that type of money anyway.

You want an awesome PP and a top puck moving D? Be prepared to pay.

Why not pay the great one from within? You like someone better?

The day Krug will leave, Bruins will start the search for his replacement.

Krug-Pasta-Marchand will make the PP look good for years.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
You gotta spend the money somewhere. They are lucky they had a winger as good as Tavares worth playing what Tavares makes. Would you rather have that and an ELC or spend 11 mil on Nylander and a 4 mil ****ty 3rd liner?

Are those my only options?
Why do people think that a bad case scenario can only be replaced by a worst case scenario? It's intellectually lazy.
I have pneumonia but my only other option was lung cancer. NO! it could've been a f***ing cold.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Are those my only options?
Why do people think that a bad case scenario can only be replaced by a worst case scenario? It's intellectually lazy.
I have pneumonia but my only other option was lung cancer. NO! it could've been a ****ing cold.

I get what you are saying I just can't see THAT organization leaving cap space on the table. We don't do it either. Paying those 3 guys is protecting them from themselves. They literally can't go throw a ton of money at an overrated offense first defensemen. So they get Barrie retained for a year when hes trying to earn a new deal for 2 mil and change.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
7 X $7.575 extension for Spurgeon.

I'm not sure I like that deal

Man we have a lot of pieces that organization would like and a Minnesota boy that wants to go back home. They are happy with Donato. Can we please somehow make a deal with them I wouldn't mind Victor Rask.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Again I don't want to fluff Toronto as a Cup contender built for 16 playoff wins.

But that young forward core is going to get ALOT of kicks at the Cup there isn't a Chicago style tear down imminent and their blueline will be OK they found a way to upgrade it this year.

I can't wait until we have our D core locked up for what 2 of their forwards make. McAvoy 7.5 Carlo 4 Krug 7.5 Gryz 3.5. Only worry is the expansion draft. We should really give Gryz a 1 year extension ASAP so he can be a RFA and not exposed to the draft.

Toronto brought 2 players back from last year that couldn't get them out of the first round at $20M more. Think about that for a moment. They couldn't get it done last year and gave two of their players another twenty million dollars and you think their getting better. Not sure what a $20M increase would look like for the players on the ice but if your getting a 1000% raise on your salary I'm thinking you better produce a bit more than squeaking into the playoffs only to be first round fodder.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I get what you are saying I just can't see THAT organization leaving cap space on the table. We don't do it either. Paying those 3 guys is protecting them from themselves. They literally can't go throw a ton of money at an overrated offense first defensemen. So they get Barrie retained for a year when hes trying to earn a new deal for 2 mil and change.

They gutted their depth the past two summers. Sorry if I'm coming across like an asshole. I realized I probably was after typing.
I think unless Matthews, Marner and Nylander take massive steps forward this season along with Andersson and Reilly - I think they're toast for the forseeable future.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Toronto brought 2 players back from last year that couldn't get them out of the first round at $20M more. Think about that for a moment. They couldn't get it done last year and gave two of their players another twenty million dollars and you think their getting better. Not sure what a $20M increase would look like for the players on the ice but if your getting a 1000% raise on your salary I'm thinking you better produce a bit more than squeaking into the playoffs only to be first round fodder.

They lost to the best team in the NHL with the best blue line and best goalie thats had their number for years after taking them 7 games 2 years in a row.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

They arent even close to a contender. I hope these overpaid pretenders miss the playoffs bc they are too top heavy and buckle under expectations. lose leafs lose

Reactions: b in vancouver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->