NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Every now and then you can find some great stuff on the main board, and this is one of them. This is a great interview with John Scott about the preseason scrap he had with Phil Kessel in 2013. It's such a great story about what led up to it and how Scott wound up going after Kessel

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Every now and then you can find some great stuff on the main board, and this is one of them. This is a great interview with John Scott about the preseason scrap he had with Phil Kessel in 2013. It's such a great story about what led up to it and how Scott wound up going after Kessel

I saw that too and thought it was great.

I saw many John Scott bouts when he was honing his craft with the Houston Aeros.

He's got some other interesting videos on his channel, which I just subscribed to.

It looks like he's trying to get established as a media personality, which he should do well with.

The Kessel clip is taken from a longer video in which he discusses some of his most talked about fights.

I watched it, but he didn't mention his bout with Shawn Thornton.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
How is improving your arena presumptuous?

So don’t improve amenities unless you win?
It was just a joke, but I guess not very funny.

The Preds' offense hasn't put up huge numbers but they just brought in a legit offensive weapon.

I was in a lighthearted manner suggesting they need a huge scoreboard for all the goals they'll be scoring, that's all.

It's summer, insanely hot, no hockey, little baseball, and I'm stuck watching the Running of the Bulls.

Just trying to make a little joke out of boredom, of course any arena improvement is welcome.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
It was just a joke, but I guess not very funny.

The Preds' offense hasn't put up huge numbers but they just brought in a legit offensive weapon.

I was in a lighthearted manner suggesting they need a huge scoreboard for all the goals they'll be scoring, that's all.

It's summer, insanely hot, no hockey, little baseball, and I'm stuck watching the Running of the Bulls.

Just trying to make a little joke out of boredom, of course any arena improvement is welcome.
So I am getting mixed signals here...It was a joke?

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
https://www.tsn.ca/report-phil-kessel-trade-sparks-ticket-sales-boom-for-arizona-coyotes-1.1335959

According to statistics obtained by the Arizona Republic, Coyotes' season-ticket sales went up 600 per cent in the week following the June 29 trade compared the same week in 2018, including a 550 per cent boost in total ticket sales.

Kessel, a two-time Stanley Cup champion, was acquired from the Pittsburgh Penguins in a deal that saw Alex Galchenyuk and Pierre-Olivier Joseph head the other way.

The Republic reports the 94 per cent renewal rate of season tickets this summer is the team's highest mark since their move to Glendale in 2003-04.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

So sad the Bruins tough guys went into the fetal position when the Sabres acquired him. I remember that game in 2012 when Thornton tuned Weber, Lucic tuned Kaleta...beating buffalo up like usual back then....Sabres bring Scott in...McQ sticks up for Loui....He pummels Thornton....Chara and Lucic never drop the gloves with him....

Reactions: sarge88

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
A few people have sent me a PM asking if I was reader Kevin

:rolleyes:

DGB Grab Bag: Summer days, an idea for bad GMs and the best...

Classic YouTube clip breakdown

We briefly thought we were watching one of the biggest stories of the year unfold this week, when it seemed as if the Don Cherry era may have ended. Now, after some clarification, that doesn’t appear to be the case. It sounds like we’ll be hearing from Cherry next season, and maybe well beyond. (Although it’s weird that we haven’t heard anything unequivocal from Sportsnet or Hockey Night in Canada, right?)

Cherry’s career as a broadcaster has led to any number of memorable moments and soundbites. That’s half the appeal of Coach’s Corner – or, depending on your perspective, maybe most of the problem. You never know when Cherry is going to drop the kind of line that will stick with you for years.

But for my money, the best minute of Cherry quotes came before he ever signed his first broadcasting deal. More specifically, it came in the immediate aftermath of the lowest point of his coaching career.

(Thanks to reader Kevin for suggesting this week’s clip.)

• It’s May 10, 1979, and Cherry and the Bruins have just lost Game 7 of the semifinal to the Canadiens. It’s one of the most memorable games of the era, one that turned on an infamous too-many-men call against Cherry’s Bruins. That led to the tying goal late in the third, with the Habs winning in overtime in front of a delirious Montreal crowd. And to make matters worse, the weakling Rangers are waiting in the final, so this game was essentially for the Cup. Cherry has just lost the biggest game of his life, and as expected, he’s devastated. Will he be able to find anything interesting to say?

• Spoiler alert: He’s Don Cherry, of course he will.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
So sad the Bruins tough guys went into the fetal position when the Sabres acquired him. I remember that game in 2012 when Thornton tuned Weber, Lucic tuned Kaleta...beating buffalo up like usual back then....Sabres bring Scott in...McQ sticks up for Loui....He pummels Thornton....Chara and Lucic never drop the gloves with him....
Scott wasn't worth anyone's time. He didn't belong in the NHL, it is a shame Thornton obliged and was concussed for it.

Reactions: trenton1

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Scott wasn't worth anyone's time. He didn't belong in the NHL, it is a shame Thornton obliged and was concussed for it.

Disagree whole heartedly. Why was he not worth the time but it was ok for the bruins to pick on the much smaller Sabre’s? I mean full scale riots break out in the GDT when Krug or Gryz get beat up, and we call them Cherries for not squaring off w Miller or Chara. Scott neutered them fight wise, they weren’t so ready to go after the smaller players

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Disagree whole heartedly. Why was he not worth the time but it was ok for the bruins to pick on the much smaller Sabre’s? I mean full scale riots break out in the GDT when Krug or Gryz get beat up, and we call them Cherries for not squaring off w Miller or Chara. Scott neutered them fight wise, they weren’t so ready to go after the smaller players

I look at Scott as an even lesser Laraque. Outside of his repulsive hit on Eriksson he was so irrelevant on the ice I'd rather he be left alone to trip on his own feet. No reason to have someone like Thornton get concussed by Scott whose only advantage wasn't being a good fighter but his reach. Bruins should have ignored him and continued picking on the rest of their roster.

I felt awful for Thornton that he even felt obligated to try, because of a role he was living up to.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I look at Scott as an even lesser Laraque. Outside of his repulsive hit on Eriksson he was so irrelevant on the ice I'd rather he be left alone to trip on his own feet. No reason to have someone like Thornton get concussed by Scott whose only advantage wasn't being a good fighter but his reach. Bruins should have ignored him and continued picking on the rest of their roster.

I felt awful for Thornton that he even felt obligated to try, because of a role he was living up to.

Chara or Lucic should have handled it

Reactions: Sigh

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Well will someone explain to me why Scott simply
didn't switch wings with Tropp before the faceoff
with Devane? Would have prevented the whole thing
especially as it was a preseason game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->