Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hate it when a Montreal columnist is right

Jack Todd: Captain Underpants is just another entitled, arrogant jock

That Matthews stunt was pure Brad Marchand — but Marchand has always been an outlier, not a No. 1 draft pick and the face of a franchise, cheesy moustache and all. There is a pattern here: a pattern of entitlement and arrogance, of “I can get away with anything because I’m a big deal and you’re not.”

Of course, Matthews will get away with it, given most people will take his behaviour for boys-will-be-boys hijinks, even if the boy in this instance was a highly paid professional star. He’ll probably have to do no more than make an apology and at worst, he’ll do a little community service — some onerous task, like dropping in on a couple of schools to sign autographs and talk about how great he is.

Why would Matthews believe otherwise? TSN just ranked him above Alexander Ovechkin on its list of the 50 best players of the game, even though Matthews has never won a Maurice Richard Trophy, never won a scoring title, never gotten his team out of the first round of the playoffs. Of course, he feels entitled — who wouldn’t? He doesn’t have to be great to receive the accolades, because the Toronto hype machine will do the work for him.

Matthews claims he will learn from the incident and perhaps he will. His offences, after all, are still small-time and seedy rather than big-time and appalling. If you want to know where money and entitlement can lead, read the excellent Sports Illustrated piece on the bizarre offences of Antonio Brown, ranging from the alleged rape of his former trainer to a flunkie telling an accomplished chef not to make eye contact when you talk to “Mr. Brown.”

That’s where we are two decades into the 21st century. From the repugnant misdemeanour hijinks you would expect from a high school sophomore to felony offences, from dope cheats to Antonio Brown blowing multi-million-dollar contracts with behaviour that is as revolting as it is bizarre.

Yet most, their egos and bank accounts equally bloated, will get away with it.

Like Captain Underpants.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

That Matthews stunt was pure Brad Marchand — but Marchand has always been an outlier, not a No. 1 draft pick and the face of a franchise, cheesy moustache and all. There is a pattern here: a pattern of entitlement and arrogance, of “I can get away with anything because I’m a big deal and you’re not.”

Of course, Matthews will get away with it, given most people will take his behaviour for boys-will-be-boys hijinks, even if the boy in this instance was a highly paid professional star. He’ll probably have to do no more than make an apology and at worst, he’ll do a little community service — some onerous task, like dropping in on a couple of schools to sign autographs and talk about how great he is.

Why would Matthews believe otherwise? TSN just ranked him above Alexander Ovechkin on its list of the 50 best players of the game, even though Matthews has never won a Maurice Richard Trophy, never won a scoring title, never gotten his team out of the first round of the playoffs. Of course, he feels entitled — who wouldn’t? He doesn’t have to be great to receive the accolades, because the Toronto hype machine will do the work for him.

Matthews claims he will learn from the incident and perhaps he will. His offences, after all, are still small-time and seedy rather than big-time and appalling. If you want to know where money and entitlement can lead, read the excellent Sports Illustrated piece on the bizarre offences of Antonio Brown, ranging from the alleged rape of his former trainer to a flunkie telling an accomplished chef not to make eye contact when you talk to “Mr. Brown.”

That’s where we are two decades into the 21st century. From the repugnant misdemeanour hijinks you would expect from a high school sophomore to felony offences, from dope cheats to Antonio Brown blowing multi-million-dollar contracts with behaviour that is as revolting as it is bizarre.

Like Captain Underpants.

Captain Underpants :laugh:

Brad Marchand likes to scare female security guards at 2:00 am? Funny, never heard that one. That's the only part of the article I'd have any issue with.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Like Captain Underpants.

Matthews better than Ovechkin? :biglaugh:Only in Toronto...

I think you can take some comfort though Fenway in that Todd isn't entirely right. Brad Marchand has done many many stupid things on the ice over the years, but off it his behavior has always been without blemish, unless I've missed something. Being a pest and making dirty plays in a sporting contest is rather different to committing actual offences and deviant acts in real life.

Having said that I'm not going to judge Matthews too harshly on this one. What he allegedly did was foolish and crass, but not really that bad. There was no violence involved or even hinted at and his attempt at indecency was laughably weak. I understand why the incident was so fear-inducing for the guard involved and I don't want to trivialize it but there doesn't seem to have been any real intent to Matthews' part to do her any harm. He was 21 at the time and intoxicated (out of season), neither of which excuses his behavior but places his small indiscretion firmly in line and at the lower end of the scale of millions of similar mistakes made by young adult males before him. Sad but true. If he wasn't someone famous his conduct wouldn't even have made the local paper.

He definitely seems like a brat though and I wouldn't want him playing for the Bruins, and I agree with the main point of the article - I can't see anyone in Toronto doing the right thing and pulling him into line for his behavior, which only creates more entitlement and the greater possibility of further misdemeanors both on and off the ice.

Reactions: AM Bruin

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Evander Kane is and always will be a dumbass.

I have the same feelings. Cant stand the player.

I will say, Idk what the linesmen was trying to accomplish here. It looked like play had continued after Englland and Kane separated but the linesmen I guess felt like he needed to hog tie Kane. But Kane struck the official arguably three times. That can't be overlooked. Twice with his stick and pushed him.

You can't do that, sir.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Like Captain Underpants.

Interesting that they had to bring Marchand into this for some reason....

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Captain Underpants :laugh:

Brad Marchand likes to scare female security guards at 2:00 am? Funny, never heard that one. That's the only part of the article I'd have any issue with.
That is the issue I have with the article as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad