NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, Jul 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b in vancouver

b in vancouver Registered User

For me it's not even if they can afford these contracts, which would be fine if they were only competing against themselves, but if The Cap goes up that puts Tampa and Boston in an even better situation over the next five years. Your top 2 'rivals' that are already better also will have millions more to spend every year. They need all three of those kids to go next level or for The Bruins to age out with Bergeron and Krejci and even then, unless Point is holding out for $13M, they have no hope of catching Tampa.

Chief Nine likes this.
  2. BMC

BMC Per Johan Axelsson Sponsor

And all 3 are one concussion or blown knee away from not being able to do that. Oops. I know the contracts are insured but that doesn't matter when the guy's replacement can't get above 55-60 points.

b in vancouver likes this.
  3. JOKER 192

JOKER 192 Just a Fan

Ya maybe, but there is a big difference in that comparison. Sportsnet way over paid to wrestle the rights from TSN. To me that is a bigger concern down the road. When it's time to renew that deal. The US deal is way underpay, it should be no problem getting twice if not 3 times what they are getting now.

4. Dom - OHL

Dom - OHL RETIRED Sponsor

Home Page:
    Big money is going to come from betting.

By the time those 3 contracts are up in Toronto, projections put the cap at $100 million

BigGoalBrad and UncleRico like this.
  5. Fenian24

Fenian24 Registered User

Bruins need to bring in Kenny Linseman then.

6. b in vancouver

Just the latest chapter in the ' Tanking Doesn't Work' novel I've been writing in my head.
    Toronto purposefully sucks for years and sell this Shanaplan to their fanbase and STHers and whomever else and don't stop talking about how this mythical future is going to be so bright they might as well be Corey Hart with all these great high picks they have coming but like every team in the past decade or more that has tried it, they can't punch through while the kids are on their ELCs, they've marketed them way too heavily to justify trading them as every Leaf fan owns at least one of their sweaters and then when second contracts come up the players simply have way more leverage than the team and demand top dollar which the team has to dole out or look incredibly bad. Right around the time the team actually gets built up around them it has to be torn down again to afford these kids.

Players like Pasta aren't going to command as much as Drai, Marner, Laine simply because The Bruins were good when they drafted him and had a lot of faces and names we relate to like Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Chara, Krug and Rask that they could just as easily sell to their fanbase. Giroux, Gaudreau,
    Every once in awhile a team will strike oil like The Avs did with MacKinnon, a high pick that took a major step forward right after signing the contract or The Canucks with The Sedins but most of the time teams are paying way too much because they've had to keep people interested and married the franchise to one or two players that ain't Sid or Ovy.

A third of the teams continue to toil at the bottom of the league and simply sell their fans a 'future' that - in reality won't happen for 9 out of 10.
    Two of the 'anti-tank' teams just met in The Finals. I hope I don't have to watch another Tank team win again as people still point to the Hawks despite remembering what was actually going on there with Bill Wirtz nearly destroying the franchise.

Grumpy Grizz and BMC like this.
  7. BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad Registered User

Protects them from making a Backes like blunder. I mean they did find a way to upgrade their D from last year even if its not exactly loaded its good and better than what they had.

Look at the age of their top 7 forwards signed long term. 6 are 25 or younger and Tavares is 28. You have three good lines there and aren't gonna waste money on a fourth.

I think they are fine in net. Andreson is a solid starter. Next year they can probably trade him for another goalie with more term for the same 5 mil per.

I'll feel better about us once Carlo and McAvoy are signed. Then its just a case of what do we have in the organization and if the guys who are close can step in and become NHL regulars.

I think our division got a lot better overnight and we are the ones who are vulnerable to injuries given the age of key guys and the fact we might have 2 stud young D men hitting road bumps if they miss regular season games due to contract negotiations (not worrying about this for another week hopefully the recent signings push both sides to get something done.)

Estlin likes this.
  8. KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP Registered User

BMC likes this.
  9. Dom - OHL

Dom - OHL RETIRED Sponsor

Home Page:
    7 X $7.575 extension for Spurgeon.

I'm not sure I like that deal

10. Estlin

Estlin Registered User

Torey Krug, on the other hand, does. If that’s the kind of money that he is looking for, then I’d say “so long”.

BMC and AngryMilkcrates like this.
  11. BigGoalBrad

Again I don't want to fluff Toronto as a Cup contender built for 16 playoff wins.

But that young forward core is going to get ALOT of kicks at the Cup there isn't a Chicago style tear down imminent and their blueline will be OK they found a way to upgrade it this year.

I can't wait until we have our D core locked up for what 2 of their forwards make. McAvoy 7.5 Carlo 4 Krug 7.5 Gryz 3.5. Only worry is the expansion draft. We should really give Gryz a 1 year extension ASAP so he can be a RFA and not exposed to the draft.

Mr. Make-Believe likes this.
  12. BigGoalBrad

You gotta spend the money somewhere. They are lucky they had a winger as good as Tavares worth playing what Tavares makes. Would you rather have that and an ELC or spend 11 mil on Nylander and a 4 mil ****ty 3rd liner?

13. Jean_Jacket41

Jean_Jacket41 Neely = HOF

Means that either the Bruins are not offering that money or that McAvoy wants more.

Werenski and Provorov have set the McAvoy contract.

He will get 5-6,75M per year for 3-6y.

What’s the delay? Do it.

14. Jean_Jacket41

And then, if you want to get another elite D lile Krug, you will need to spend that type of money anyway.

You want an awesome PP and a top puck moving D? Be prepared to pay.

Why not pay the great one from within? You like someone better?

The day Krug will leave, Bruins will start the search for his replacement.

Krug-Pasta-Marchand will make the PP look good for years.

15. DKH

DKH Registered User

****ing horrible....

this might be the end of Torey Krug in Boston AFTER this season, he aint going anywhere now as they go for it

gross overpayment

16. Jean_Jacket41

My favorite part with that Marner deal is the rumor that TB is offering Point 5,7M/year...

17. JRull86

JRull86 One Greasy DeBrusk

I have no idea how TB is going to pay him and stay under the cap going forward.

18. b in vancouver

Are those my only options?
    Why do people think that a bad case scenario can only be replaced by a worst case scenario? It's intellectually lazy.
    I have pneumonia but my only other option was lung cancer. NO! it could've been a ****ing cold.

19. b in vancouver

As much as it might suck as a Bruins fan - I hope they do.

20. BigGoalBrad

I get what you are saying I just can't see THAT organization leaving cap space on the table. We don't do it either. Paying those 3 guys is protecting them from themselves. They literally can't go throw a ton of money at an overrated offense first defensemen. So they get Barrie retained for a year when hes trying to earn a new deal for 2 mil and change.

21. BigGoalBrad

Man we have a lot of pieces that organization would like and a Minnesota boy that wants to go back home. They are happy with Donato. Can we please somehow make a deal with them I wouldn't mind Victor Rask.

22. b in vancouver

Toronto brought 2 players back from last year that couldn't get them out of the first round at $20M more. Think about that for a moment. They couldn't get it done last year and gave two of their players another twenty million dollars and you think their getting better. Not sure what a $20M increase would look like for the players on the ice but if your getting a 1000% raise on your salary I'm thinking you better produce a bit more than squeaking into the playoffs only to be first round fodder.

23. b in vancouver

They gutted their depth the past two summers. Sorry if I'm coming across like an *******. I realized I probably was after typing.
    I think unless Matthews, Marner and Nylander take massive steps forward this season along with Andersson and Reilly - I think they're toast for the forseeable future.

24. BigGoalBrad

They lost to the best team in the NHL with the best blue line and best goalie thats had their number for years after taking them 7 games 2 years in a row.

25. KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP Registered User

They arent even close to a contender. I hope these overpaid pretenders miss the playoffs bc they are too top heavy and buckle under expectations. lose leafs lose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.