NHL Around the NHL VIII - John Tavares named Captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Imagine using 40% of your cap on 3 players...

Keeps you from giving out 3 mil contracts to any random guy or getting into a Backes situation. I think their D this year will be better than last.

I think next year when they have to build a bargain basement blueline they will have a decent one.

Now all that said the way they are built is great for going after a Presidents trophy but lifting a Cup who knows.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
As a Bruins fan, I actually like the Marner deal, as I'm skeptical a roster that top-heavy can lift the Cup. For example the Hawks have been far less formidable once all their stars' big contracts kicked in.

I know the Leafs have padded their AHL team with one-way contracts to have depth in case of injury, but I can't see any of those players being difference makers in a playoff series.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Marner has showed me nothing that he is a player that elevates his game for playoff hockey. This contract IMO is about 4 million too high. A contact similar to Pastrnak seemed more realistic. This is ego driven and hurts his teams chances again by demanding that much $$. The leafs core clearly buys into their own hype bc they play under the big spotlight in Toronto but when it's all said and done an old player like Krejci shows up game 6 or game 7 the previous year in their building sends the playoff pretenders home once again .

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Keeps you from giving out 3 mil contracts to any random guy or getting into a Backes situation. I think their D this year will be better than last.

I think next year when they have to build a bargain basement blueline they will have a decent one.

Now all that said the way they are built is great for going after a Presidents trophy but lifting a Cup who knows.
They don’t have quality depth and won’t be able to go outside organization to get it

If they are exceptionally healthy they should be in good shape

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

I think next year when they have to build a bargain basement blueline they will have a decent one. .
Backes and Nylander we’re tied for goals last year and what makes you think a bargain basement defense will be decent?

I used to hate the leafs but the last decade or so has me pulling for them, that fan base has been abused for so long now.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
They were 28 points behind the President's winner last season and something close to 70 less in the goal differential department.

With five and six years left on these deals, they've got some work to do.

edit: should also be mentioned, their goalie has just two more seasons under contract.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I personally dont remember Red Sox fans being this annoying though.
Yankees suck was/is pretty bad- it is amazing how losing for so long makes fans even more passionate though. The crowd these days is so very tame compared to those years - Pats too. $ plays a role but the constant abuse of losing has to be a part of it.

See a little of that in the Leafs, and honestly I can repsect it ... because it’s familiar

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
do the leafs players expect a raise with each first round loss? wouldnt a real team dedicated to winning want to get more depth. Nope, only out for #1. We all need 11 million dollar deals!

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Their entire D corps, with the exception of Morgan Rielly needs a new contract next year. Barrie is going to get a significant raise from the 2.75M he's making this year. 66.3M already on the books for 12 players next season.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Their entire D corps, with the exception of Morgan Rielly needs a new contract next year. Barrie is going to get a significant raise from the 2.75M he's making this year. 66.3M already on the books for 12 players next season.

Its clearly not a team dedicated to winning. Marner cashing in bc his #s get a boost with Tavares on the team.

Heck get Krejci a RW he could be an 11 million dollar player too

Reactions: JOKER 192 and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-hall-of-famer-stan-mikita-suffered-from-cte-researcher-says-1.1365391

Former Chicago Blackhawks legend and Hockey Hall of Fame member Stan Mikita tested positive for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, the brain-withering disease linked to repetitive brain trauma in contact sports, researchers and his family announced Friday night in Chicago.

Mikita becomes the 11th known former NHL player, and the first member of the Hall of Fame, to have tested positive for CTE.

Dr. Ann McKee, director of the BU CTE Center, VA-BU-CLF Brain Bank, and chief of neuropathology for the VA Boston Healthcare System, discussed the findings Friday night as requested by Mikita's family during the Concussion Legacy Foundation's Chicago Honors dinner.

"Stan Mikita was diagnosed with [two] neurodegenerative diseases that our research has shown are associated with a long career in contact sports such as ice hockey: CTE and Lewy Body Disease," said Dr. McKee.

Mikita had visited the research team in Boston and then decided to pledge his brain to support research.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Marner has showed me nothing that he is a player that elevates his game for playoff hockey. This contract IMO is about 4 million too high. A contact similar to Pastrnak seemed more realistic. This is ego driven and hurts his teams chances again by demanding that much $$. The leafs core clearly buys into their own hype bc they play under the big spotlight in Toronto but when it's all said and done an old player like Krejci shows up game 6 or game 7 the previous year in their building sends the playoff pretenders home once again .

What you say about Marner may be true but nobody held a gun to the GM's head and told him to give Marner that kind of money. I'm sure if he had put Marner on the trading block there would have been teams lined up willing to sell their souls to get him on their team.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Looking at those Leaf contracts really makes you appreciate the two teams they're chasing in Tampa and Boston. We'll see what Point, McAvoy and Carlo rake in but these T.O. contracts look more like they were done by a marketting firm than by someone whom wants to build a good hockey team.
Pasta will make $5M less. Kucherov makes two less. Stamkos, Bergeron, Marchand, etc. How do the Leafs plan to catch up to these two teams while doling out that kinda money on an inferior roster. Their back-up goalie is a wish and a prayer, their defence is still trash and the bottom half of their forwards is looking worse and worse over the past couple years. They've got Andersson and Reilly whom cover a lot of holes in their line-up but they need these guys to go from very good/excellent players to incredibly top 10 players league wide - and some cinderella kids to shine. If they miss the playoffs or are out in the first round again next year - both are more likely than thinking they'll beat Boston or Tampa - then what?
I don't mind the Tavares contract but these other three for RFA years are just stupid. If these kids had shown anything or you were already a powerhouse team but they're pretty much between 3-5 in the division, half their fans can't even remember the last time they won a playoff round, these kids haven't brought it consistently - and you dole out $30M on them?

They remind me of the Atlanta Thrashers when they had Savvy, Kovy, Heatley/Hossa and nothing else.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
When do the TV contracts in the US expire? i feel like the Leafs are banking on an increase in the cap beyond the usual year-over-year growth. But i think counting on a big TV deal in the states is foolish. Sportsnet way over-paid in Canada a few years ago and aren't seeing the pay off they were expecting. Networks in the States will be very wary

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
What you say about Marner may be true but nobody held a gun to the GM's head and told him to give Marner that kind of money. I'm sure if he had put Marner on the trading block there would have been teams lined up willing to sell their souls to get him on their team.

I like Marner but - he's the highest paid winger in the NHL. Ovechkin, Iginla and P. Kane are the only wingers in the past 20 years that you can argue should be right up there money-wise (possibly Kucherov with another year) - Hall, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Marchand, Perry, Wheeler, Gaborik, Parise, Draisatl, etc. are/were great players but there's just no way you can pay a winger that much. Near every team that's tried has collapsed. T.O. has two great centres so that really helps but they have $20M or so tied up in two wingers, whom although good, aren't all that and a bag of chips.
All three of their kids have to pretty much combine for 300 points and conference finals for the next few years to live up to their contracts.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->