OT: Around the NHL | Two Weeks Until The Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Completely agree.

I wonder what the trade deadline stats would be since the lockout season. When I'm bored with some free time I may look into the championship teams and their opponents and see what they did for the trade deadline. That should make for some interesting off-season conversation.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I wonder what the trade deadline stats would be since the lockout season. When I'm bored with some free time I may look into the championship teams and their opponents and see what they did for the trade deadline. That should make for some interesting off-season conversation.

Usually teams that "win" the deadline dont win it all. Last two years we won we made small moves, but ended up helping us.

Youre better off adding well before the deadline. Had a bad feeling after this one. Adding Brassard was a big move, but had a bad feeling about it. Didnt know he would get hurt tho, along with Kessel. Making it even worse. And dont like what we gave up.
Not that late in the year. Not exactly like the Iginla trade, but it reminded me of it. Id rather make those moves a month or two before the deadline. You just dont get enough time to adjust after the deadline . Especially with injuries on top of it.

Better off adding depth at the deadline.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Caps brought in Kempny who I’d argue was pretty huge for their d core.

Chicago brought in Vermette
Kings brought in Gaborik
2013 is a wash due to the lock out
Kings brought in Carter
Boston brought in Horton and Peverely

Deadline additions are fine. When you have a successful team you usually bring in less.

Reactions: shoplifter

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Kings brought in Gaborik
Kings brought in Carter

Deadline additions are fine. When you have a successful team you usually bring in less.

Yeah, I'm not saying they are always a bad idea, but shifting around the roster with, what, a month left in the regular season is not an ideal method of improvement (in my eyes, in my opinion). Especially, especially! for rentals.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Usually teams that "win" the deadline dont win it all. Last two years we won we made small moves, but ended up helping us.

Youre better off adding well before the deadline. Had a bad feeling after this one. Adding Brassard was a big move, but had a bad feeling about it. Didnt know he would get hurt tho, along with Kessel. Making it even worse. And dont like what we gave up.
Not that late in the year. Not exactly like the Iginla trade, but it reminded me of it. Id rather make those moves a month or two before the deadline. You just dont get enough time to adjust after the deadline . Especially with injuries on top of it.

Better off adding depth at the deadline.

Yeah I agree. Not always a bad idea, but if you are trying to fix inadequacies with a month left before the post season, there is much more room for error and mistakes than there is for actual hard line improvement. (*IMO)

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Kings brought in Gaborik
Kings brought in Carter

Horton was acquired the prior offseason in the Greg Campbell trade.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
2016 should have been someone other than Sid. In 2017, Sid was legit, although I would have gone with Fleury/Murray if that were possible. This year, yeah, Kuznetzov deserved it, but Ovie was a solid second. I thought Holtby was good enough, but he didn't win it for him. The Ovie narrative has been in the works not just this year, but every year his good teams have lost. Really, all Ovie had to do was play each game, and any positive he did would have been magnified a million X to match the media narrative already going.

But not to the guy who "just" won the PO scoring race that year??
God, i'm beginning to think that both the NHL and the Pens don't deserve a guy of the talent of Geno....

Anyway, congrats to the Caps, well deserved winners and quite happy for Ovie, Backstrom and their coach, not so much for the others...

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
Lol the hate is still hilarious.

Red Wings fans are the most bitter and hilarious fans, they literally hate the Penguins for 2009, a loss in a rematch almost a decade ago that they just can't let go.

That's because they EASILY should have won that series, and it marked the end of their glory years and the beginning of their descent into mediocrity.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Red Wings fans are the most bitter and hilarious fans, they literally hate the Penguins for 2009, a loss in a rematch almost a decade ago that they just can't let go.

They're arguably saltier toward Crosby than any other fanbase minus Washington (or maybe now Edmonton).

You can pretty much narrow down which fanbase a poster cheers for if it's a thread about bashing Crosby to either Detroit, Washington, or Edmonton.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Its so bad they dont even care or mention the win against us the year before. All thats remembered is 2009. Its not like the Pens beat em both years, its tied at 1.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah Wings fans hate Crosby more than Flyers fans or even Caps fans.

But the hate brigade is always the Jackets, Wings (lol), Flyers, Caps, and Edmonton because of no reason besides the fact that they themselves can't even admit that McDavid is a terrible center and is a glorified winger that is great at producing points, but only when he has a solid 1st/2nd line C with him means that we're jealous some how.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
But not to the guy who "just" won the PO scoring race that year??
God, i'm beginning to think that both the NHL and the Pens don't deserve a guy of the talent of Geno....

Anyway, congrats to the Caps, well deserved winners and quite happy for Ovie, Backstrom and their coach, not so much for the others...

That's a bit of a leap to get from one dude's opinion to the "NHL and Pens don't deserve . . . "

Yes, Geno could have won in 2017 also, but Sid was overall the more dominant player by a little bit. Clutch goaltending is really what won the Cup for them, IMO.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
“All Hail the Capitals” (I don’t believe that was done for the Pens either of the past two years?)

“What does Oshie need to be a hall of famer?”

“Ovi the greatest ever”

“Tom Wilson appreciation thread”

GREAT stuff. Can it be next season already?

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I still maintain we’re spoiled as Pens fans. But ya gotta be greedy. Never know what can happen next. Hearing all the stuff like the possibility of a Kessel trade, difficulties with the core being in their 30s, worries of Sullivan turning into Bylsma. It’s not easy.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What'd those irrelevant losers do or say now??
I was just reading the Caps forum for kicks, wasn't going to post, didn't post, but man so many Wings fans and Bruins fans were like "First time since 2009 that I have been happy for a Cup winning team" or "First time since 2011 that I have been happy to see a team win..."

Lmao

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It wasn't.

And I literally cringed when I read that forum title.
The media seems to really love that Ovechkin won a cup, finally.

Man, we never got like any love from the media and other fans when Sid won any of his 3 cups also the narrative on the Caps board is that Ovechkin is far and beyond the better player over Crosby now that he has the 1 cup but remember when they said Cups don't enhance a career in a best vs best argument, then it happens and now it does, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad