GDT: Around the NHL - Trade Deadline Day GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
People keep forgetting the flipping of a low 5th from us for what will undoubtedly be a high third from the Stars in that trade. It was not one for one. It still was a high cost even then, but yes the Iginla factor seals it. Still like I said it seems that people forget that it was not one for one, Morrow for Morrow.
Yeah, I didn't forget that and according to Shero that 3rd allowed him to trade the 2nd's for Murray so it was a very beneficial move in that way. I think we're getting Minnesota's 3rd though. It could be more middle of the pack or even a late 3rd.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I feel good about the East (for us) post-deadline. I like the fact the Flyers did nothing, and potentially added another shaky goaltender. I was worried they'd do something huge, and they stood pat. Good.

I am not worried about the Rangers at all. They still will have trouble scoring, though I guess they kinda had to deal Gaborik (if he isn't playing LW, and Nash isn't playing LW, and Callahan isn't playing LW, then that's a terrible roster situation). Brassard should help but overall they didn't do enough, or don't have enough. They may not even make it in.

I am glad the Islanders didn't do anything. They're getting better by the day.

The Devils got Sullivan, but he's not going to help them that much. If they don't make the playoffs, that would be great for us.

Montreal didn't get better. That's good. Toronto added O'Byrne and he helps them. But they didn't get Luongo, which is good. Toronto would have been a tough out for us with a veteran goalie, imo. They always play us very tightly.

Ottawa is a concern, mainly because of who will be coming back into their lineup. Adding Conacher should also help. They'll be tough come playoff time.

Washington was already playing much much better, and now they got better with Erat. We have handled them pretty well this season, but they always scare me. No guarantees they make it in, but they'd be a bad 1-8 first-round match-up for us (not necessarily because we would lose but it would be a much tougher out than a lot of other match-ups).

Everybody else looks like a good match-up for us in the first round...until we square off against Boston. The Bergeron loss may be huge. Redden could add something to that PP, but it's all about Jagr there and the impact he may have. Also, their goaltending is suddenly shaky.

So yeah, overall I like our chances of making it out of the East. Still going to be tough to beat LA, Chicago or Anaheim if we get there, but let's worry about that when we get there, if we get there.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
CBJ gave away A LOT for Gaborik.

not really. them giving up Moore was like us giving up Morrow. they have a lot of young defensive depth. Brassard has been a disappointment - it didn't look like he was fitting in their long terms plans with Johansen/Anisimov/Testy in the middle, and Dubinsky can play center as well. Dorsett is a useful player.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It was a good trade. Defense or toughness is not their problem, it's goal scoring.

But I wonder, Dorsett broke his clavicle a few weeks ago, how can they trade him?

You can trade an injured player. As long as the acquiring team knows the situation and wants the player, it's no problem.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
not really. them giving up Moore was like us giving up Morrow. they have a lot of young defensive depth. Brassard has been a disappointment - it didn't look like he was fitting in their long terms plans with Johansen/Anisimov/Testy in the middle, and Dubinsky can play center as well. Dorsett is a useful player.

CBJ got one of the most dangerous scorers in the NHL (unless he's suddenly fallen off a cliff skill-wise) and didn't give up any of their 1st-rounders.... I think they did OK. I'm pretty surprised.

I think this trade all but assures that Torts isn't getting fired. You don't give Gabby away if you're going to fire the biggest reason he's struggling in a month.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
and now, the best part of TDL, the post coital pillow talk:

Multiple options in Luongo trade talks with Leafs. Told Canucks wanted Scrivens and multiple picks in talk between 2pm and 3pm et. #TSN
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/statuses/319566695305994240

Ottawa asked Philly for Couturier in a Bishop deal. Answer was No. Tampa deal a good one anyway for Ottawa in my mind
http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/statuses/319566783281500160

trading a goalie for a goalie..

wtf...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
and now, the best part of TDL, the post coital pillow talk:

Multiple options in Luongo trade talks with Leafs. Told Canucks wanted Scrivens and multiple picks in talk between 2pm and 3pm et. #TSN
http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/statuses/319566695305994240

Ottawa asked Philly for Couturier in a Bishop deal. Answer was No. Tampa deal a good one anyway for Ottawa in my mind
http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/statuses/319566783281500160

I would have laughed if the Flyers had traded Couturier for Bishop. Guy's got a five hole like a drive-in movie theater.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I would have laughed if the Flyers had traded Couturier for Bishop. Guy's got a five hole like a drive-in movie theater.

Even better that the Flyers got Mason. Putting a struggling goalie in that atmosphere will make things VERY interesting. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->