GDT: Around the NHL - Trade Deadline Day GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Erat is younger and has 3-years on his contract. And Joe Morrow is much closer to the NHL. I think it's okay to freak out. This is still bad, though, especially since Forsberg is the second coming of Gretzky

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Yeah, I still think that deal is going to turn out bad for us. At least Shero made up for it by getting Iginla and Jokinen relatively cheap. I'll live with one rare mistake.

I like to look at it as a collective trade "deadline". When collectively you add up everyone we got, for what we collectively gave up, I am more than OK with it.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
qm.gif

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Yeah, I still think that deal is going to turn out bad for us. At least Shero made up for it by getting Iginla and Jokinen relatively cheap. I'll live with one rare mistake.

I mean, I've said before it should be evaluated based on if the Penguins win a Cup (or get mighty close) with B. Morrow and how J. Morrow is actually playing in five years. Until then I'm not worried.

(Though there's also the possibility that Shero's proactiveness helped land Iginla and I don't think that should be overlooked.)

But my main point is that this board shouldn't be mocking others for melting down. We do it once a week.

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
Maybe F Forsberg doesn't project they way HFboards thinks? Maybe you'll be thanking SHero for the DPo pick

I mentioned this around when he was drafted...

Originally Posted by Captain Hook

Not if we win the cup. But long term I agree - we will probably lose value on this deal.

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
There must have been strong feelings Forsberg was going to sign a deal overseas and pull a Kuznetsov. I read somewhere he was being sought after by one of his former coaches and it was a "top priority" to get him.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
back to the Pominville trade. i'm glad Minnesota paid the hefty price to get him. reports are that the Habs were in the running but rejected Regier's counter-offer.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I like to look at it as a collective trade "deadline". When collectively you add up everyone we got, for what we collectively gave up, I am more than OK with it.

agreed. That makes the Morrow trade ok.
Fair enough. I think we paid too much for Morrow, too little for Iginla and about fair market value for Murray. Plus we basically got Jokinen for free. I can see your point that we did well when you add it all up.
I mean, I've said before it should be evaluated based on if the Penguins win a Cup (or get mighty close) with B. Morrow and how J. Morrow is actually playing in five years. Until then I'm not worried.

(Though there's also the possibility that Shero's proactiveness helped land Iginla and I don't think that should be overlooked.)

But my main point is that this board shouldn't be mocking others for melting down. We do it once a week.

Good point. I think Jarome mentioned seeing the Pens were going for it by acquiring Morrow and Murray as one of the factors in his decision. If he's telling the truth with that then Joe Morrow was well spent.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Maybe F Forsberg doesn't project they way HFboards thinks? Maybe you'll be thanking SHero for the DPo pick

Yeah, there seems to be a disconnect on this guy between scouts employed by NHL franchises on the one side and central scouting/fans on the other.

The latter, I'm sure, base their expectations of him on little beyond his name.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
back to the Pominville trade. i'm glad Minnesota paid the hefty price to get him. reports are that the Habs were in the running but rejected Regier's counter-offer.

yea, if he had gone for a 1st and a prospect, I'd have been disappointed. This seems like the only trade where the team giving up the "GOOD PLAYER" actually got "GOOD PLAYER" value. I mean a 1st, a 2nd, and two top prospects?

No one can ever say we're overvaluing Sid/Geno next time they make a moronic trade proposal.

Antaris

Totally Trustworthy
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden
There's no secret in Sweden that Filip wants to play in the NHL.

GMGM ****ed up big time trying to push the Caps to the playoffs.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Good point. I think Jarome mentioned seeing the Pens were going for it by acquiring Morrow and Murray as one of the factors in his decision. If he's telling the truth with that then Joe Morrow was well spent.

If I covered the Pens, that would be how I wrote about the Morrow trade:

"GMs can say a lot of things. They can tell the local media about how they want to go for it, about how all they care about is winning, and their fans will hear it. But if you want to reach the ear of an NHL player not in your city, say, one in the western city of Calgary, the best way to get his ear is during a press conference for a trade that grabs the attention of the entire NHL."

That's exactly what Shero did when he got in front of the NHL for the Morrow PC, looked the camera - and Iginla - in the eyes and said 'All I care about is winning a cup."

If you have to pay Joe Morrow to get in Jarome Iginla's ear, yea, you do it. Assuming he re-signs. If the Pens don't win the cup and Iggy, Morrow, et al walk?.....

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Fair enough. I think we paid too much for Morrow, too little for Iginla and about fair market value for Murray. Plus we basically got Jokinen for free. I can see your point that we did well when you add it all up.

People keep forgetting the flipping of a low 5th from us for what will undoubtedly be a high third from the Stars in that trade. It was not one for one. It still was a high cost even then, but yes the Iginla factor seals it. Still like I said it seems that people forget that it was not one for one, Morrow for Morrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad