OT: Around the NHL - 'Tis the Season to Fire Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think the issue might be that they are now finally being diagnosed better and goalies are mentioning it more often. I think back to how often goalies were rattled and hit hard and how many came back to the game and stunk or the next few games, their back-ups played and it floors me.

The goalie masks are not really much protection to begin with, I think the league needs to look at changing the masks goalies wear.

Irbe, Hasek, Osgood and others wore the weird mask with the cage get up. Maybe it's time to make a hybrid version of that, because goalies getting hit, their heads slam back and the back plate is laughable at best for protection.

That and you have players getting bigger and faster while goalies can put themselves in some awkward positions that count on not being hit. They're not skaters who are properly braced for an impact they're familiar with handling. The net itself can also injure players.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Man, poor Crawford. They’re eventually going to have to address the contact goalies take from opposing players... and their teammates. Y’know, when they one day are forced to get real about player safety.

That collision looked REALLY bad. You have to worry about his well-being when you consider his history of concussions and vertigo.

EDIT: Crawford is out with a concussion. Brutal...

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Why are goalies injured so easily?

Do they need large masks/helmets?

A LOT of times, the contact seems so innocuous.

I play net and it's mostly because 1) the equipment is built for a small piece of rubber to hit you, not full bodies

2) Also, you tend to only focus on the puck, getting tunnel vision and you are not prepared for impact/bracing yourself

Reactions: EightyOne

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
TSN said:
Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas wouldn’t confirm Monday that he is looking to add a defenceman before the trade deadline, but said he will look to the trade market if the team doesn’t improve their breakouts from the defensive zone.

Maybe the forwards shouldn't leave the YYZ airport code the minute the puck is dropped.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That collision looked REALLY bad. You have to worry about his well-being when you consider his history of concussions and vertigo.

Hawks are going to have to LTIR him for whatever time he has left on his contract, I think Crawford is done. That last one, it took him a long time to get back and his play was never the same after. I mentioned this when someone was discussing goalie concussions and Murray, there are a lot that just don't bounce back after theirs and some that do, no rhyme or reason to why as it's a head injury and each one is different. But man, it's a scary thing to see someone go through.

I hope Crawford does the right thing, he's won what players set out to win, he has a family he needs to be there for as well.

I still look back at Dupes lying and trying to keep playing and man was he stupid, you never risk your life for any company.

Reactions: EightyOne and BHD

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hakstol had to go. Although, it's hard to say whether Scott Gordon is any better. He had a rough go of it with the Islanders, but that was his first job in the NHL.
I see it as - no one else wanted that job like people thought.

Edit:

It appears the Blues, Kings, and now Flyers are going to stick it through the season with their coach replacements. Fletcher just stated he will keep Gordon on as coach for the rest of the season and continue to look in that time.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think they said it was a concussion after the game. No trying to avoid giving an answer or uncertainty. Even if he recovers from this one you’d think he has to consider his long term quality of life. They all probably should be but he got an extended look at PCS.

I still look back at Dupes lying and trying to keep playing and man was he stupid, you never risk your life for any company.

It was so stupid and remains a great example of a cultural problem with players’ health. Him lying about it and him being allowed to play again after he did was ridiculous. A man in his 30s with a family, a guaranteed contract that could have seen him to retirement and an accomplished career was willing to die to eke out more games in a season.

I still feel sorry for the medical staff and his family for the stress during the 2nd return.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If I am Arizona, I throw a league max offer at Matthews. If the leafs match, I'd still LOL if I am Chayka.

Lol, wait, Hitch is mad that McDavid is getting a rougher treatment? You want to be called greater than Crosby, play through that shit for a few years and let us know how you do.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Then the chant is for Sullivan.

Daaayuuuummmmmmm.

OpK.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His numbers in the KHL are pretty unimpressive for how good he was in the NHL vs him being in the KHL even with his level of talent.

He's not coming back.

I am curious if Gusev ever comes over, I think VGK owns his rights, could be a Dadonov type of guy for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->