Around the NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Hope is that China could be a model (and they aren't fudging the numbers). Otherwise, we are totally f***ed. As someone who is asthmatic, my body is not ready lol.

I'm also going down to California in a few weeks. How exciting...

We’re gonna need your shit posting if we make it to the playoffs, so you take care out there!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think the NHL can stomach playing playoff games without spectators. Those revenues are huge for teams.

There's massive sporting events being cancelled or postponed all over the world. There's big corporate campuses closing their doors and telling people to work from home. There's business trips and mega conventions being cancelled. Unless the COVID-19 infection rate miraculously starts to flattens out in a hurry I wouldn't give better than 50/50 odds of the NHL finishing the 2019-20 season.

No idea what that might mean for the Calgary Flames.

I tend to agree.

I wonder if what we might see is something like a playoffs in the fall (presuming the virus has largely subsided by then), and a shortened season next year. Some weird hybrid thing. Sounds very NHL to me.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I tend to agree.

I wonder if what we might see is something like a playoffs in the fall (presuming the virus has largely subsided by then), and a shortened season next year. Some weird hybrid thing. Sounds very NHL to me.
I could see them doing reducing it to a best of 3/5 thing in September/October and the starting the new season in late November

Reactions: InfinityIggy

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I tend to agree.

the NHL does some weird things but they can't do that. as it would also mean that the draft, free agency etc all gets put on hold until after that playoff but before the shortened season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
the NHL does some weird things but they can't do that. as it would also mean that the draft, free agency etc all gets put on hold until after that playoff but before the shortened season.

I don't see why pushing back the draft would stop them. You have a good point regarding free agency though, as I believe NHL contracts are for 'years' not 'seasons'.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Contracts officially end after July 1st, 12:01 am or something official like that. I don't think they can push the playoffs beyond that point, at least not unilaterally.

Either they cancel everything outright or they play in empty buildings. Perhaps they try going the per per view route but would depend on the TV contracts. Regardless, short of everything magically getting better, whatever road the league decides to go down will almost certainly result in significantly reduced revenue. Could very well be the first time the cap actually shrinks, at least before the PA and the league add the escalator.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
NBA just suspended its season.

giphy.gif

The NHL will almost certainly be right behind them.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Off the top of my head the Kings, Flyers, Capitals, Avs, Red Wings, Hawks, Bruins, Leafs all share an arena with an NBA team. And an NBA player just tested positive.

It's certain that the NHL will announce they're suspending the season. Probably by Friday

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would bet dollar to doughnuts the season is suspended tomorrow. The soonest the league will start playoffs will be May 1 and if they haven't started by May 15 the season will be cancelled. I would expect an alter playoff format like best of 3 for the first 2 rounds.

No if they suspend it, the season is done. The virus is not going away in a month or two.

Not saying the end of the world but these things take time.... protect yourself and keep healthy..that's all you can do

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I have tickets to tomorrow's game. Clearly not the best timing. If this doesn't decline by June/July I wonder what will happen by stampede.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->