Around the NHL Thread - The Amount of Drafts in July is TOO DAMN HIGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Pete Rose always bet on his team to win. Only thing he could be accused of would be trying harder because he had money on the line lol

I mean so he claims but yes even through that's what he claimed he got banned and he would be in the hall of fame had that not happened. So I have to think if Kane bet on any nhl games he is done, but it does seem like he is going through a very hard divorce so I take all accusations with a massive grain of salt

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
HA HA

Kessel.jpg

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I'm convinced that in 3-4 years the Holland era will be looked at us somehow more destructive to the Oilers cup chances than the Chiarelli era.
i am not sure that we will have to wait 3 or 4 more years for that...
exhibit 1 - overpay and overterm top 6 energy forwards - Hyman, Kassian
exhibit 2 - trade for Keith a declined d man
exhibit 3 - overpay and overterm Barrie
exhibit 4 - overpay and overterm - Ceci
exhibit 5 - still have a goalie tandem of Smith and Koskinen.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Gotta give that one the oof. Way too much money for a player that really only has one season of top pairing quality play.

Thank god Hanifin and Andersson are locked up at a reasonable rate because the market for dmen this offseason has really gone off the deep end.

Reactions: Fig

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Personally when you look at the guys that are getting paid the same as Nurse…. Oof. He’s going to be the 5th highest paid D in the league and I don’t see him as that guy. He doesn’t even crack the Olympic roster.

Holland is turning out to be ChiaPet V.2.0

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Tough spot for the Oilers though. That deal is probably the only way he stayed there, both because it's the Oilers, and because it's a western Canadian market. He could get 1.5 per year less in the US and still clear the same take home as that deal.

And it's a horrible contract, but like, what do the Oilers look like if Nurse walked?

I also ain't gonna throw stones until our Gaudreau and Tkachuk situations are done, because we could easily be looking at horrendous deals if we want to keep any premiere players ourselves.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Tough spot for the Oilers though. That deal is probably the only way he stayed there, both because it's the Oilers, and because it's a western Canadian market. He could get 1.5 per year less in the US and still clear the same take home as that deal.

And it's a horrible contract, but like, what do the Oilers look like if Nurse walked?

I also ain't gonna throw stones until our Gaudreau and Tkachuk situations are done, because we could easily be looking at horrendous deals if we want to keep any premiere players ourselves.
Difference is tho…. We don’t have 2 players already taking up 21m in cap space. That’s 37.5% of your payroll in 3 players now. And they still have a tonne of issues

Reactions: 1989

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
An overpay... but a completely expected overpay.
I like.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Difference is tho…. We don’t have 2 players already taking up 21m in cap space. That’s 37.5% of your payroll in 3 players now. And they still have a tonne of issues
Yet we haven't been really any better than them the last several years. Sure we had the fluke western conference win, then got bounced by Colorado. We just don't exactly have a whole lot of room to shit on them when we aren't really any better. And at least they have one of the best players in the world to watch

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Oh, and in what universe is he worth more than Leon?
The universe where Nurse got to sign his deal coming off a bridge contract, not an ELC, and where Drai hadn't exploded quite like he did. I remember when Drai signed that contract how everyone was freaking out about how it was such a bad deal. And now almost every team is jealous of that deal. Just different years, times and situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad