Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
So basically, the Leafs spotted the first two shots on the emergency goalie, got overconfident at intermission and decided to lay back because they "knew they got this", and Carolina said that they weren't going to sit back and take it, the Hurricanes played their asses off with an effort and compete level the Leafs can't comprehend, and squeaked out a win, causing the Leafs to lose to their own zamboni driver?

I don't even care if the Flames miss the playoffs now, because unless we literally lift the cup, there won't be s hockey moment I enjoy more this year

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
After tonight we're currently 10th in the west. We have games in hand on Winnipeg and Arizona but Minnesota and Nashville have games in hand on us.

Right now we're drafting 11th overall ffs. We go on one bad 4-5 game losing slide and we're drafting top 6. Now yes, this draft is near 2015 levels of deep, but for the love of Christ this team has way too many good players to be looking at the draft. Good one game, bad the next, no consistency. If we lose to Detroit I'm officially calling the season over, there'd be no hope left. It's on the road at least.

If we lose to Detroit tomorrow, every UFA needs to be shipped out for futures and re-tool in the off-season. You don't need to completely gut the core, Colorado had a bad year and added Makar then were right back to the playoffs and now have some depth through trades and drafting.

Reactions: Boomstick

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Is it wrong for me to be expecting us to score 7 goals vs the Wings tonight?
If we lose to the Wings somehow, we must blow everything up, because that should be it.

Another crucial must win game. I think we have to start Rittich, but if he continues to not play well we're in huge trouble. We're already in trouble but another lackluster result from Rittich could be catastrophic.
Should be interesting.​

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
We are now out of the playoffs with a brutal stretch of 5 games coming up. We can honestly be out of this by the end of the week.

Yup, Boston, Tampa, Columbus (who have been playing very good), Nashville (have been playing better recently), Vegas, Yotes (got their goalie back) all next. Then we finish the year off going through the division again which has been very hit or miss. Could be looking at drafting around 7th overall this year.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
A+ expectation management

source.gif

Kyle "Big Brain" Dubas with the hottest of takes

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He is right to a degree. There would have been massive outcry if the Leafs had won. Elliott alluded to that. There was no situation where the Leafs wouldn't have faced massive negative PR.

That's an issue with the fact that they were allowed to use a Leafs employee as the EBUG, though, so it was a wholly avoidable situation.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He is right to a degree. There would have been massive outcry if the Leafs had won. Elliott alluded to that. There was no situation where the Leafs wouldn't have faced massive negative PR.

That's an issue with the fact that they were allowed to use a Leafs employee as the EBUG, though, so it was a wholly avoidable situation.

I don't agree. the situation you're describing is a relatively minor conspiracy, that perhaps leads to a rule change around emergency goalies.

The situation that is now reality is not only losing that game, but the prospect that losing that game could cost them a playoff birth. Because if they miss by 2 points, you know this is the cow they will put the bell around.

Furthermore, what is Dubas implying here? It was no win situation so they didn't try to win? This would be an equally troubling conspiracy as the one you are suggesting.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't agree. the situation you're describing is a relatively minor conspiracy, that perhaps leads to a rule change around emergency goalies.

The situation that is now reality is not only losing that game, but the prospect that losing that game could cost them a playoff birth. Because if they miss by 2 points, you know this is the cow they will put the bell around.

Furthermore, what is Dubas implying here? It was no win situation so they didn't try to win? This would be an equally troubling conspiracy as the one you are suggesting.

I think the answer is that he was implying nothing, and that the part of the interview where this would have come up likely provided context. When you read a tweet like this, it always makes it seem like the GM has walked up to a podium, cleared his throat, made this intentional statement and then walked off, which skews perception.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There is no way that is real, I cannot imagine an NHL GM would say that.

Is Dubas a real NHL GM though?
In a year when he's fired from Toronto, I don't think he'll be in the league in a top position for a very, very long time.

It's been long reported that other GMs think the kid's dopey.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I love that if the Leafs kept Lou around the chances of them winning a cup was really high. Now they are in shambles.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Is Dubas a real NHL GM though?
In a year when he's fired from Toronto, I don't think he'll be in the league in a top position for a very, very long time.

It's been long reported that other GMs think the kid's dopey.

I don't think Dubas is completely horrible. His trades have been alright for the most part, his re-signing of RFA's and UFA's is his problem.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Is there a fanbase/organization/local news media in the league that screeches about the refs more than you-know-whose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad