OT: Around the NHL - the playoffs are upon us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I know the North gets all of the attention but the West is easily the worst division this season.

Not sure I buy this. I think you can say the worst teams in the west are every bit as bad as, if not worse than, the worst in the north. But I'll take the top 4 in the west over the top 4 in the north without a moment's pause.

The thing about the North is that it's Toronto, Ottawa, and five bubble teams (with some of the bubble teams having real rough seasons). It's pretty hard to think highly of that but compared to teams with a bunch of really bad teams like the West, I think it grades better. The top two in the West are legit, but Minnesota - a bubble team themselves before this - as a powerhouse? Hard to be high on a division like that.

The best in the west are better, but I reckon it might be a worst overall division.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The thing about the North is that it's Toronto, Ottawa, and five bubble teams (with some of the bubble teams having real rough seasons). It's pretty hard to think highly of that but compared to teams with a bunch of really bad teams like the West, I think it grades better. The top two in the West are legit, but Minnesota - a bubble team themselves before this - as a powerhouse? Hard to be high on a division like that.

The best in the west are better, but I reckon it might be a worst overall division.

The way McDavid is playing Edmonton is better than a bubble team IMO. They're not top, but they're not just also-rans when he's scoring every period.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The way McDavid is playing Edmonton is better than a bubble team IMO. They're not top, but they're not just also-rans when he's scoring every period.

They were only just the right side of being a bubble team last season with McDavid playing nearly as well.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Just looking at Detroit's cap situation, seeing a ton of positive signs for next year and the future.

- They spent 7.5 mil below the cap this season. With fans back in the building next year are they a cap ceiling team?
- They get relieved of Marc Staal's 5.7 mil. Can bring him back much cheaper if they want.
- Helm's 3.85 mil is free. He's going UFA.
- They get 2.5 mil in retained salary back from Savard and Nemeth
- They get Stephen Weiss's 1.66 mil back.

That's over 21 million Yzerman can allocate towards something helpful. The damaging contracts left by Holland are fading. After next year they are free from Nielsen's 5.25 mil and Dekeyser's 5 mil. Plus Zetterberg's 6.1 mil LTIR hit is gone next season.

They have two 1sts, three 2nds and two 3rds in this draft.

Should be a fascinating off-season for Yzerman.
Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Look at all the work he has to do. He'll be able to put his stamp on the team more and more.

They're coming. Slowly but surely they're coming.

Reactions: Lustaf and KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just looking at Detroit's cap situation, seeing a ton of positive signs for next year and the future.

- They spent 7.5 mil below the cap this season. With fans back in the building next year are they a cap ceiling team?
- They get relieved of Marc Staal's 5.7 mil. Can bring him back much cheaper if they want.
- Helm's 3.85 mil is free. He's going UFA.
- They get 2.5 mil in retained salary back from Savard and Nemeth
- They get Stephen Weiss's 1.66 mil back.

That's over 21 million Yzerman can allocate towards something helpful. The damaging contracts left by Holland are fading. After next year they are free from Nielsen's 5.25 mil and Dekeyser's 5 mil. Plus Zetterberg's 6.1 mil LTIR hit is gone next season.

They have two 1sts, three 2nds and two 3rds in this draft.

Should be a fascinating off-season for Yzerman.
Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Look at all the work he has to do. He'll be able to put his stamp on the team more and more.

They're coming. Slowly but surely they're coming.

Thing about that team is there's just so little to build on in the NHL. The few good players they do have aren't that far away from UFA as a rule. They look like a team that needs to keep tanking for me.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Thing about that team is there's just so little to build on in the NHL. The few good players they do have aren't that far away from UFA as a rule. They look like a team that needs to keep tanking for me.
100% agree in the short term. But Yzerman's handicaps since coming on board are getting removed slowly. I see all the signs of a successful rebuild underway here. They're not screwed like San Jose or Vancouver.

And Yzerman is a respected GM. It's gonna become a more and more desirable trade/FA destination in the next few years.

It's gonna be a steady upward trend in roster and results from here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
100% agree in the short term. But Yzerman's handicaps since coming on board are getting removed slowly. I see all the signs of a successful rebuild underway here. They're not screwed like San Jose or Vancouver.

And Yzerman is a respected GM. It's gonna become a more and more desirable trade/FA destination in the next few years.

It's gonna be a steady upward trend in roster and results from here.

They're not screwed, but I think it's going to be a long rebuild (and I think the team said recently it'll take longer than they first hoped). I wouldn't want to go there as a FA. Yzerman's cool and all, but that's still a non-contender for the next three years at least. Obviously if he's offering the most money I'm interested and he's got a lot of money, but that's a poor way to build a team.

I can see them weaponising the cap space, maybe making some strides that way, lord knows they've got enough 2nds and 3rds (and can gain more from cap dumps).

Me, I think the pain's going to continue another couple years at least unless Yzerman has a fantastic and aggressive off-season.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
So, uh... does the league know when the playoffs are?

Screenshot_20210511-150204_NHL.jpg

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Washington vs Boston game 1 is Saturday.

While Edmonton vs the canucks regular season happens too.

Yes, I caught that. Also that both of Bruins and Caps are currently left twisting in the wind after that game. Flams v Canucks are the only games on the schedule through next Wednesday, after which there is no schedule to be had.

I get COVID mucking things up, and I wish full chaos to both the Bruins and Caps, but for a league hoping to capitalize on a new TV deal and some matchup shakeups, this is sloppy af:help:

DeSero

Jul 26, 2007
Caps starters taking unnecessary punishment already. Chara’s shaken up and Eller took a puck to the wrist (didn’t miss a shift though).

Edit: By unnecessary I mean a meaningless game.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I like how both Boston and Washington are pitching no-hitters tonight. If either of them were playing the Pens under similar circumstances it would be a cheap shot every minute.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Didn't even realise but Sid's passed Ovi again. 5 points ahead at the end of the season. Wouldn't even be close if not for the concussion times.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
They're not screwed, but I think it's going to be a long rebuild (and I think the team said recently it'll take longer than they first hoped). I wouldn't want to go there as a FA. Yzerman's cool and all, but that's still a non-contender for the next three years at least. Obviously if he's offering the most money I'm interested and he's got a lot of money, but that's a poor way to build a team.

I can see them weaponising the cap space, maybe making some strides that way, lord knows they've got enough 2nds and 3rds (and can gain more from cap dumps).

Me, I think the pain's going to continue another couple years at least unless Yzerman has a fantastic and aggressive off-season.
Yes, I never disagreed with any of that. I never said they're contending for a playoff spot next year.

I think there will be a significant jump in points percentage though. I see no way this roster is worse next year. Perhaps like .520 or so.

As for the free agent destination thing, that will apply more in 2022-23 and 2023-24 when the smoke settles and players around the league see that Yzerman is getting closer.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yes, I never disagreed with any of that. I never said they're contending for a playoff spot next year.

I think there will be a significant jump in points percentage though. I see no way this roster is worse next year. Perhaps like .520 or so.

As for the free agent destination thing, that will apply more in 2022-23 and 2023-24 when the smoke settles and players around the league see that Yzerman is getting closer.

Ah, thought you were putting a quicker timeline on it than me, think we're mostly in agreement then.

Will be interesting to see what Yzerman does with Blashill and Bertuzzi.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Ah, thought you were putting a quicker timeline on it than me, think we're mostly in agreement then.

Will be interesting to see what Yzerman does with Blashill and Bertuzzi.
Yeah. 3 years seems right to me. 2024-25 playoff team at worst. Maybe a year earlier if the stars align.

But the point of the whole topic for me was that it won't fail like others have. They are doing it the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->