Around The NHL - The Craig Morgan Vacation Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I look at Babcock's resume and I'm not all that impressed. He had a stacked Detroit team and won 1 Stanley Cup. And the team that won had I believe 7 future HHOFs. He also took a 58 (!) win team in Detroit and led them to a first round loss. In another season, despite a superior team, he needed 7 games to beat the Bryzgalov-era Coyotes. He has 1 playoff series win in the last 7 years.

Considering some of the teams he had in Detroit, it's kind of incredible he only has ~50 career wins more than, as you mention, Tippett, particularly considering the Coyotes sucked for Tippett's last five years (I'm not counting Babcock's wins this season as Tipp was inactive).

I think Babcock is overrated. I think he's a good coach. But I don't think he's head and shoulders above guys like Q, Trotz, even someone like Sutter. If I could trade Tocchet for any coach in the NHL right now I don't think my pick would be Babcock.

I'm also not including Babcock's Team Canada resume as is that really all that difficult? If he was coaching Team Latvia, that's a different story.
The ones you mentioned are all fine coaches. I believe this is Trotz's first SC and he has been around as long as Babcock.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
What happens in Vegas, doesn't always stay in Vegas.

180608-capitals-stanley-cup-flash-index-1.jpg

Pure gold! :biglaugh: :naughty:

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
3.5 MAX for Johnson. And that's only because that seems to be the going rate for top 4 D. He's nothing special.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's going to get paid. Teams line up to add D without giving uo assets. Maybe not 6+, but 4+ eeeeasy...

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There are 49 LD UFAs this summer. The list is actually pretty brutal. DeHaan, Cole, Moore, hell even KConn. Good news for Johnson's agent after all.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Some talk that Toronto is headed to a contract battle with Marner. Could command as much as $10 million.

The fun part is he has the same genius agent as Tobias Rieder. Can't wait til he uses Anze Kopitar as a comparable for Marner.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Media is bored, they haven't even started talking. Might even be a trial balloon by the agent??
Some talk that Toronto is headed to a contract battle with Marner. Could command as much as $10 million.

The fun part is he has the same genius agent as Tobias Rieder. Can't wait til he uses Anze Kopitar as a comparable for Marner.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, if you can't get a coaching gig, this is the next-best thing, I'd assume. Didn't he GM the Aeros at one point? And here. So he's got some management experience. And it probably puts him in the front of the line for a coaching gig in Seattle if he doesn't rub everyone the wrong way.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
And it probably puts him in the front of the line for a coaching gig in Seattle if he doesn't rub everyone the wrong way.

Tippett will probably get a lot out of the expansion roster in Seattle - it seems to be his biggest strength (see: Coyotes in his first three years of coaching us). Gallant is pretty similar in style and look how far Vegas went in their first year. If Seattle gets a GM anywhere near McPhee's level, could be another breakout inaugural season.

Reactions: Mosby

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He'll do fine with a veteran roster and a great goalie. I'm not sure I'd want him as an expansion team because I assume development would be a priority. If they're willing to open the check book for players, he'll probably be happy. I'm not convinced he can adapt or that his system will generate enough offense from the outside in today's NHL.

A couple of us wanted Gallant when he got fired, who has a not entirely dissimilar style but a better track record of integrating youth. I think with the cap, all teams, even contenders, are looking to integrate youth on the fly without considering it a rebuild year. That's why he probably hasn't had an offer yet.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He'll do fine with a veteran roster and a great goalie. I'm not sure I'd want him as an expansion team because I assume development would be a priority. If they're willing to open the check book for players, he'll probably be happy. I'm not convinced he can adapt or that his system will generate enough offense from the outside in today's NHL.

This is actually a terrific situation for Tippett, if I'm being honest. Get in on the ground floor; coach the team for the first couple of years while they're working with a Frankenroster, and then segue into management once he turns 60 and hand the reins to someone who can cultivate the home-grown talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->