Around The NHL - The Craig Morgan Vacation Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
As a Leaf's fan I said a few days ago that Matthews just doesn't look happy or comfortable in Toronto. It just might be his demeanor but to me he doesn't look like a guy who fits the City. He might grow into it but I don't think he plays his career there.

You know there is more to it than that.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Remember this trade:

BOS
Seguin
Peverly
Ryan Button

DAL
Loi Eriksson
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser
Joe Marrow

This is after three NHL seasons in Boston, putting up 22 in 72gp, 67 in 81gp and 32 in 48gp (shortened season). Can't say that something around Matthews and OEL isn't possible.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Remember this trade:

BOS
Seguin
Peverly
Ryan Button

DAL
Loi Eriksson
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser
Joe Marrow

This is after three NHL seasons in Boston, putting up 22 in 72gp, 67 in 81gp and 32 in 48gp (shortened season). Can't say that something around Matthews and OEL isn't possible.
The guy who made that dumb trade is in Edmonton not Toronto, try OEL for McDavid.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You have to wonder who Toronto would get rid of first (if they had to.) Babcock or Matthews.
I have actually been wondering that?? Babcock is an intense coach who is never off and rarely cares about other's thoughts. Not exactly the recipe for a long term relationship.

Reactions: RABBIT

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Babcock is overrated
Agree. So is Quenneville. Put either coach on an average team and see how they do without players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kane, Keith, and Toews in their prime and see how they do. During their recent dynasty the Blackhawks would have won three cups with Mike Yeo Yeo behind the bench.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Babcock has been a good coach for the Maple Leafs if we look at the track record, but their success started around the same time that the Big 3's success started...so who knows if it's attributed to the coach? tough to tell, Toronto's situation is very interesting.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is he??? Not a lot of winning on that resume if you remove Team Canada. And the Leafs certainly haven't exceeded expectations IMO.

Babcock is overrated

Agree. So is Quenneville. Put either coach on an average team and see how they do without players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kane, Keith, and Toews in their prime and see how they do. During their recent dynasty the Blackhawks would have won three cups with Mike Yeo Yeo behind the bench.

You guys can't be serious. It is harder in hell to win the SC, especially in this cap era. I would take those two behind our bench any day of the week over RT and DT.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Babcock has been a good coach for the Maple Leafs if we look at the track record, but their success started around the same time that the Big 3's success started...so who knows if it's attributed to the coach? tough to tell, Toronto's situation is very interesting.
Coaches coach and players play. You need the horses to win in this league. That is why rebuilding is so painful.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
You guys can't be serious. It is harder in hell to win the SC, especially in this cap era. I would take those two behind our bench any day of the week over RT and DT.
I agree. A Stanley cup champion needs all the pieces in place and I think Babcock and Quennville are both fine coaches. I also agree I'd take either over RT, but you can't change my mind that an average NHL coach behind the recent Blackhawks bench would have still been able to win those three cups.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I look at Babcock's resume and I'm not all that impressed. He had a stacked Detroit team and won 1 Stanley Cup. And the team that won had I believe 7 future HHOFs. He also took a 58 (!) win team in Detroit and led them to a first round loss. In another season, despite a superior team, he needed 7 games to beat the Bryzgalov-era Coyotes. He has 1 playoff series win in the last 7 years.

Considering some of the teams he had in Detroit, it's kind of incredible he only has ~50 career wins more than, as you mention, Tippett, particularly considering the Coyotes sucked for Tippett's last five years (I'm not counting Babcock's wins this season as Tipp was inactive).

I think Babcock is overrated. I think he's a good coach. But I don't think he's head and shoulders above guys like Q, Trotz, even someone like Sutter. If I could trade Tocchet for any coach in the NHL right now I don't think my pick would be Babcock.

I'm also not including Babcock's Team Canada resume as is that really all that difficult? If he was coaching Team Latvia, that's a different story.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He did fine in Detroit.

Yup.
The Leafs have been in on a few trades that had veteran players with No Trade Clauses that have the player turn down the trade, Filppula was one in particular that said he didn't want to play for Babcock again. He is a good coach but wears on his players. And the Leafs were just put coached in this year' playoffs by Boston after it happening with Washington last year. He does not switch on the fly when needed good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad