Around The NHL - The Craig Morgan Vacation Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I can't seem to understand that thought?? What am I missing?? What about Canada would have Quenneville give a hard no?
Because he doesn't want to live there, the oilers don't have any better chance of winning a cup then 20 US teams. He can stay in the states easily. If they pay him 8 mill+ a year for 3 or more years, maybe he takes it.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Because he doesn't want to live there, the oilers don't have any better chance of winning a cup then 20 US teams. He can stay in the states easily. If they pay him 8 mill+ a year for 3 or more years, maybe he takes it.
And how exactly would you know where he wants to live? You folks just automatically think every US City with an NHL team is a better place to live than a Canadian City and frankly you are incorrect.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Q is a top five coach. Besides Toronto, there is nothing Canada has to offer. If Q gets fired I expect him to stay in the East somewhere.
I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume I missing something otherwise WTF?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
When the World is ranked for best Cities to live Toronto and Vancouver consistently rank in the top 10 with Montreal, Calgary, and Ottawa ranking in the top 25 but folks here would think none of the 5 are more attractive than Buffalo. Funny folks you Americans.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
And how exactly would you know where he wants to live? You folks just automatically think every US City with an NHL team is a better place to live than a Canadian City and frankly you are incorrect.
Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto rival any US city for upper class living. I've been to all three and find Montreal to be a bit alien, but I could happily live in any of those. Only in Montreal would I feel like an ex-pat.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When the World is ranked for best Cities to live Toronto and Vancouver consistently rank in the top 10 with Montreal, Calgary, and Ottawa ranking in the top 25 but folks here would think none of the 5 are more attractive than Buffalo. Funny folks you Americans.
Time to take a chill pill. Many players don't want to play in Canada except TO and maybe Vancouver, so I would imagine the same holds true for the good coaches. There are reasons why players don't want to play in Edmonton, Calgary etc. I would think the same holds true for Buffalo and a few other cities in the US. Q, if he is fired can pick where he wants to go and I would be very surprised if he picked any city in the Canada. Not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. To be honest, I would like to see him in Edmonton.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Time to take a chill pill. Many players don't want to play in Canada except TO and maybe Vancouver, so I would imagine the same holds true for the good coaches. There are reasons why players don't want to play in Edmonton, Calgary etc. I would think the same holds true for Buffalo and a few other cities in the US. Q, if he is fired can pick where he wants to go and I would be very surprised if he picked any city in the Canada. Not saying it's impossible, but unlikely. To be honest, I would like to see him in Edmonton.

Really the biggest reason why players don't want to play in Canada is the exchange rate's effect on their salaries. Otherwise, they probably wouldn't want to sign UFA with a team that's a tire fire, but that applies to the entire league and not just Canada.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There is a legitimate tax concern for Americans playing in Canada (higher taxes in Canada plus US tax if you have a home in the US). My understanding is contracts are paid in equivalent American dollars so a large discrepancy in exchange rates actually favour playing/coaching in Canada.

Quennville is Cdn borne with duo citizenship. Doubt he holds any real distaste for living in Canada. He is also French Canadian so Montreal might be especially attractive if that job comes available.

As Feckless mentioned, most of the Cdn cities on players' no trade lists are because the teams have been disasters. Coaches are probably less picky as there are only a few jobs available yearly.

Not going to get more into this but there are a lot of reasons one would choose to live, work and play in one of the Cdn cities over US counter parts.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There is a legitimate tax concern for Americans playing in Canada (higher taxes in Canada plus US tax if you have a home in the US). My understanding is contracts are paid in equivalent American dollars so a large discrepancy in exchange rates actually favour playing/coaching in Canada.

Quennville is Cdn borne with duo citizenship. Doubt he holds any real distaste for living in Canada. He is also French Canadian so Montreal might be especially attractive if that job comes available.

As Feckless mentioned, most of the Cdn cities on players' no trade lists are because the teams have been disasters. Coaches are probably less picky as there are only a few jobs available yearly.

Not going to get more into this but there are a lot of reasons one would choose to live, work and play in one of the Cdn cities over US counter parts.
Canada and the US have a Tax Treaty, every dollar you pay in tax in one Country gives you a credit in the other. There is no double taxation. I think Quenneville is from Southern Ontario?? All NHL contracts are in USD.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If Q speaks French, I bet he will take the Montreal job. That puts him on a par with Babcock for leading a storied franchise. I just can't see him taking a job in Edmonton - it doesn't have the long, storied history of the original 6 teams nor the cache of LA, NY, Chi, Van etc.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Q speaks French, I bet he will take the Montreal job. That puts him on a par with Babcock for leading a storied franchise. I just can't see him taking a job in Edmonton - it doesn't have the long, storied history of the original 6 teams nor the cache of LA, NY, Chi, Van etc.
I don't know if he would even consider taking an Edmonton job, I just found it very rude to think he would not consider Canada as it had nothing to offer??? The thing about the Cities you mentioned though is they may not have an opening and the chance to compete instantly and coach the world's best player just might excite him?? And winning the Cup in any Canadian market these days would make you a rock star. I'm not sure LA, NY, or Chi offer that at this time?? I doubt he speaks French.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The taxes in Quebec are terrible. Q is not going there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know if he would even consider taking an Edmonton job, I just found it very rude to think he would not consider Canada as it had nothing to offer??? The thing about the Cities you mentioned though is they may not have an opening and the chance to compete instantly and coach the world's best player just might excite him?? And winning the Cup in any Canadian market these days would make you a rock star. I'm not sure LA, NY, or Chi offer that at this time?? I doubt he speaks French.
Q won't go to Edmonton, Calgary or Ottawa. So the leaves Vancouver who has Green, so mark that off the list, and Montreal has those high taxes and the language barrier. Like I said, Canada has nothing to offer. Sorry if you think that is rude.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Q won't go to Edmonton, Calgary or Ottawa. So the leaves Vancouver who has Green, so mark that off the list, and Montreal has those high taxes and the language barrier. Like I said, Canada has nothing to offer. Sorry if you think that is rude.
Sorry for my lack of understanding, apparently you actually know him and what he wants and likes.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not really, we won't know who offered him a job? All we will find out is who hired him next.
Please, we will know exactly who offered him a job. It always comes out, but I doubt anyone in Canada will offer him a job. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->