Around The NHL - The Craig Morgan Vacation Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Saskatoon
I was born and raised in Canada and all through school we learn about the US. Many Canadians vacation in the US, and Canadians overall have a much better knowledge of the US than US has of Canada. I would bet over 90% of Americans do not know who the Prime Minister is. I have lived in Phoenix for the past 24 yrs. and if people ask where I'm from and I tell them Alberta, Canada I usually see that glazed look in their eyes so I will ask them if they know where it is. Most have no idea. I get the same answers when I travel to other States. Americans can be ignorant when it comes to Canada.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I was born and raised in Canada and all through school we learn about the US. Many Canadians vacation in the US, and Canadians overall have a much better knowledge of the US than US has of Canada. I would bet over 90% of Americans do not know who the Prime Minister is. I have lived in Phoenix for the past 24 yrs. and if people ask where I'm from and I tell them Alberta, Canada I usually see that glazed look in their eyes so I will ask them if they know where it is. Most have no idea. I get the same answers when I travel to other States. Americans can be ignorant when it comes to Canada.
But Quenneville is from Canada. I don't see why anyone would suggest he would have zero interest in coaching a Canadian team? I don't know what he would consider but I don't think he will join a team based solely on geography. The draw to return the Oilers to glory might be his motive, or coaching the world's best player?? The rest of your post is correct based on my experience as well on the almost 10 years I've been spending my winter here in AZ.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But Quenneville is from Canada. I don't see why anyone would suggest he would have zero interest in coaching a Canadian team? I don't know what he would consider but I don't think he will join a team based solely on geography. The draw to return the Oilers to glory might be his motive, or coaching the world's best player?? The rest of your post is correct based on my experience as well on the almost 10 years I've been spending my winter here in AZ.
Like I said before, Canada has nothing offer Quenneville. He can write his own ticket on where he coaches and it won't be Canada.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Like I said before, Canada has nothing offer Quenneville. He can write his own ticket on where he coaches and it won't be Canada.
I can't seem to understand that thought?? What am I missing?? What about Canada would have Quenneville give a hard no?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Bad weather, annoying media, and 5/7 teams are trash. Higher tax too.
He lives in Chicago for the weather comment, half the League has somewhat similar weather. Alberta as an example would be middle of the pack tax wise and getting paid in USD with cheaper COL'ing would more than make up difference. Annoying media are in any City where hockey matters. You think he's enjoying the bashing this year in Chicago? If I was a Lifer Coach there wouldn't be many places that would excite me like Edmonton, talent and sitting bottom of the League.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Congratulations Canada on preserving your national igloo!

(Old Rick Mercer bit)

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He lives in Chicago for the weather comment, half the League has somewhat similar weather. Alberta as an example would be middle of the pack tax wise and getting paid in USD with cheaper COL'ing would more than make up difference. Annoying media are in any City where hockey matters. You think he's enjoying the bashing this year in Chicago? If I was a Lifer Coach there wouldn't be many places that would excite me like Edmonton, talent and sitting bottom of the League.
Tell that to his wife.:)

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I could see coaching changes in: Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas?, Detroit, Edmonton, Islanders?, Rangers, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Washington.

A number of those teams could put together a better offer to Quenneville than the Oilers, or another Canadian market. Yeah he gets to coach McDavid in Edmonton, but McLellan fell for that same ploy. Look where he is now.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That makes perfect sense. Canada is far more dependent upon the US than the US is to the Canada. Canadian policy or political decisions rarely affect the average American.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->