OT: Around the NHL - Summer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
cut.jpg

Ben Lovejoy announces retirement after 11 NHL seasons. Best of luck in your retirement Rev, and your time playing for the pens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like it'd be tough to be "cocky" on the Pens with people in the room like Sid and Malkin and Letang, and Cullen before. Maybe a lockeroom like we have is what a player like him needs to help set him straight
People keep saying that, but all we've heard is that this team needs more character in the dressing room, its why they got Cullen back, why they added certain guys, I think the issue is the team has too much of the same types, which is why Gudbranson's biggest thing they mentioned was his locker room presence.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Dom from the Athletic said in his season preview for Edmonton that some analytics suggest that McDavid was the worst forward in the league defensively last year, which is crazy. Not that I trust the model 100%, but I did notice a laxity in his game. It’s more likely that he basically gave up trying to do anything but score after December. Also said Crosby should have won the Hart.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Dom from the Athletic said in his season preview for Edmonton that some analytics suggest that McDavid was the worst forward in the league defensively last year, which is crazy. Not that I trust the model 100%, but I did notice a laxity in his game. It’s more likely that he basically gave up trying to do anything but score after December. Also said Crosby should have won the Hart.

My give-a-shit meter would be almost nothing if I were him. He knows him and Draisaitl have to do all of the scoring on team that isn't even close to competing.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't care about McDavid's defense. I'd take him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Well that’s not the point, of course you would take the best offensive player in the league. The point is that McDavid either is a less perfect player than many Edmonton fans believe him to be and/or (I think it is more this) that Edmonton’s crappy environment is already affecting his individual commitment.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
EDM fans are insane, clearly. That we can tell.

But second to that, McyD might be realizing money alone doesn't bring happiness. We all see the train wreck up there. His act of loyalty by re-signing on a team with no clear plan of success was really stupid, IMO. It's about as bad as Tavares sticking it out in Long Island so long. Just leave. Management is incapable of building a team. You'll do all the work and still realize you've gotten no where.

They were bad before him. They've been (mostly) bad with him. They'll likely be bad without him.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
It must be awful for McD being such a huge competitor and never one to back down. Doing literally everything you can for your team, winning Harts and Ross's but still has a shit team and will continue too. I'm sure he wants to get out but would much rather turn things around there. It'd be likeif in the 80's when the Pens drafted Mario, but the Pens never got any better.

Reactions: BHD and EightyOne

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
EDM fans are insane, clearly. That we can tell.

But second to that, McyD might be realizing money alone doesn't bring happiness. We all see the train wreck up there. His act of loyalty by re-signing on a team with no clear plan of success was really stupid, IMO. It's about as bad as Tavares sticking it out in Long Island so long. Just leave. Management is incapable of building a team. You'll do all the work and still realize you've gotten no where.

They were bad before him. They've been (mostly) bad with him. They'll likely be bad without him.

The deal came shortly after a season where they made the playoffs. I'm sure the experience was fresh in his mind when he signed the contract.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Well that’s not the point, of course you would take the best offensive player in the league. The point is that McDavid either is a less perfect player than many Edmonton fans believe him to be and/or (I think it is more this) that Edmonton’s crappy environment is already affecting his individual commitment.

Offensively speaking, his impact is still crazy. Taking all centres currently playing into account, he'd probably be in the Top 5 of guys I'd start a franchise with.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
“Probably”? He should be number 1, unless you are pretending age doesn’t matter.

Oh yeah, definitely #1 for players under 25. McDavid (22), MacKinnon (24), Eichel (22), and Matthews (21). Followed by either Aho (22) or Petterson (20) to round out the group.

My post was referring to current players as rookies, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Shady Machine

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I’m really curious how McDavid is going to age. He seems like a player that will severely downgrade as his speed becomes less of an asset.

I can't remember where I heard it, but he admitted that he shouldn't have gone all out in that Flames game where he wound up hurting himself. You would think a player would hold back in Game 82 of a lost season, but...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That'd be my guess too. I wonder how long he gives Holland's regime to turn it around before he says enough is enough.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Anyone catch this documentary?
The Russian Five – Award-Winning Documentary Film

Growing up around Detroit it definitely brought back memories, well put together film

The ironic thing that caught my attention is that Fedorov came into the league and got a ton of abuse (granted it was a different time). Opponents basically were saying "fight through it". Weird how Wings fans saying the same about Sid

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I’m really curious how McDavid is going to age. He seems like a player that will severely downgrade as his speed becomes less of an asset.
Agreed. Kinda reminds me of CHL players in that way actually. Hes able to use his speed to blow past players, but what happens when that is no longer the case? I he will fall off rather steeply when his speed falls off. Reminds me very much like Kessel actually.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I could See McD turning into a Joe Thornton type when he slows down , except he'll be a better shooter where Joe is the better passer. 30g 70a 100pt kinda guy. If he then betters his D game, he will turn into old Sid at that point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I could See McD turning into a Joe Thornton type when he slows down , except he'll be a better shooter where Joe is the better passer. 30g 70a 100pt kinda guy. If he then betters his D game, he will turn into old Sid at that point.
Eh, I don't. Thing about McDavid and people saying it's ok he sucks defensively because his team can't score and they need him to, is that it's going to be tougher for him to figure out his place when his speed isn't an asset anymore and he's not good defensively.

I see him more as Spezza in his later years. Except even Spezza wasn't bad defensively.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I can't remember where I heard it, but he admitted that he shouldn't have gone all out in that Flames game where he wound up hurting himself. You would think a player would hold back in Game 82 of a lost season, but...
holding back is usually when you get hurt. cause when your going half speed and everyone else is going full speed, you become a easy target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->