OT: Around the NHL - Summer Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Capitals fans could probably give a more accurate assessment... However, it looks like they became looser after Reirden took over. Not just because Trotz took his system with him, but players were making egregious mistakes.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Capitals fans could probably give a more accurate assessment... However, it looks like they became looser after Reirden took over. Not just because Trotz took his system with him, but players were making egregious mistakes.

The Caps are still very very good, better than the Pens...they will still compete for top of the Metro and are a SCF contender

Reactions: pixiesfanyo and BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Caps are still very very good, better than the Pens...they will still compete for top of the Metro and are a SCF contender

I'm skeptical of how they play at times, but the talent is definitely there.

(inserts GIF of Kuznetsov celebration)

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm skeptical of how they play at times, but the talent is definitely there.

(inserts GIF of Kuznetsov celebration)

They have lapses like every team, including TB...but they know how to turn it on and play solid defense...that's what they did during the RS of their Cup year...they played a loose style until like February and then turned on their full Trotz trapping style and rode it all the way to the Cup...probably will do the same this year...they, Boston, TB, Tor and Car will be vying for the East championship and they have as good a shot as any...

Reactions: BHD

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They have lapses like every team, including TB...but they know how to turn it on and play solid defense...that's what they did during the RS of their Cup year...they played a loose style until like February and then turned on their full Trotz trapping style and rode it all the way to the Cup...probably will do the same this year...they, Boston, TB, Tor and Car will be vying for the East championship and they have as good a shot as any...

Are you saying this just to sound like Eeyore? They don’t have the guy who made the NHLes worst defensive team the stingiest anymore. I’m not saying the Caps are chumps but if they’re gonna win I doubt it’s the same was as 2018.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

They are def "looser" on D but two of these games this season are on Holtby. There won't be many who worry when he leaves if Samsonov is everything a lot of us think he is. Especially when someone like Calgary gives him 9 mil.

Their D is bad. Really bad.

Carlson and Orlov good.

Rest average. Siegenthaler? Bad.

Should send him down and play Djoos.

Jensen is okay..

Agree the D is not good but Kempny coming back soon (hopefully) should steady the top four. Fehrevary needs to come back up not Djoos, he is gonna be a good one. Unfortunately like the Penguins, with the Capitals current cap situation Fehrevary (or Djoos for that matter) can not be called up due to his salary.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Car hasn’t lost yet...they’re going to be formidable in the Metro

I'm not buying their goaltending and I'm not exactly a Dougie Hamilton believer when the lights shine brightest, but they've got some really nice pieces up front and, as I said, that defense from top to bottom has great balance and just so many legit good puck movers/skaters.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not buying their goaltending and I'm not exactly a Dougie Hamilton believer when the lights shine brightest, but they've got some really nice pieces up front and, as I said, that defense from top to bottom has great balance and just so many legit good puck movers/skaters.

yeah, goaltending I think could be their only issue but 90% of teams could say that as well...

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
yeah, goaltending I think could be their only issue but 90% of teams could say that as well...

For sure, but for them, my concerns would be (a) goaltending, (b) playmakers up front, (c) do you trust Hamilton to be the #1 workhorse in the playoffs. As I said, love the mix, love the defense, but those questions aren't going to go away.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
For sure, but for them, my concerns would be (a) goaltending, (b) playmakers up front, (c) do you trust Hamilton to be the #1 workhorse in the playoffs. As I said, love the mix, love the defense, but those questions aren't going to go away.

so far Hamilton has been fine, of course it’s early...but they don’t play him like we play Letang...their first pair only gets 23 min compared to 20 for Edmundson-Pesce...the playmakers are good enough imo and they have great quality depth...Haula and Dzingel on the third line is really good...the big question would be Mrazek but he got them to the ECF last year so he can do it..just question of will he compared to opposing goaltenders in the POs..no question they’ll be in the POs unless Letang gets traded there and levels all of their top 6 forwards...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
so far Hamilton has been fine, of course it’s early...but they don’t play him like we play Letang...their first pair only gets 23 min compared to 20 for Edmundson-Pesce...the playmakers are good enough imo and they have great quality depth...Haula and Dzingel on the third line is really good...the big question would be Mrazek but he got them to the ECF last year so he can do it..just question of will he compared to opposing goaltenders in the POs..no question they’ll be in the POs unless Letang gets traded there and levels all of their top 6 forwards...

Hamilton always has been pretty good in the regular season. When the games get more important, however, I just think he tends to come up short.

Don't get me started on Huala and Dzingel. Barely over 6M cap hit there . . . almost as depressing as realizing their defense costs slightly less than the Pens defense. Almost . . .

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still love Hamilton and think with the right coaching, he could be a Norris-caliber blueliner. Dude's got insane talent. I'd kill to have him on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad