Series Talk: Around the NHL - Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Quick Shifts: Beware of the 4 teams with extra first-round picks - Sportsnet.ca

2. The catch with the Washington Capitals’ consideration of a recently fired head coach like Mike Babcock, Peter Laviolette or Gerard Gallant is picking up the majority of the salary they’re already owed.

Babcock’s record-setting $5.875-million annual salary is guaranteed through June 30, 2023.

If/when he lands a new gig, the Toronto Maple Leafs must pick up whatever portion of his new salary is left over to make him whole.

As we detailed earlier this season, the Leafs could argue that his new employer must pay Babcock a market-representative salary. Babcock’s closest comparables would be Claude Julien and Todd McLellan, each of whom earns in the ballpark of $5 million.

Theoretically, if the Capitals (or whomever) decide Babcock is their guy, they’ll have to reach an agreement with the Maple Leafs on this.

“It’s not the right approach, but sometimes emotions get in the way. I’ve had this happen where I’ve literally had to negotiate with both sides,” Neil Glasberg of PBI Sports & Entertainment explained. Glasberg is a professional negotiator and personal-brand manager who represents 40-plus coaches (but not Babcock) at the NHL and AHL levels.

“The challenge is, he’s very expensive. He’s at least a $4-million guy.”

Capitals owner Ted Leonsis has shown a willingness to spend, but it’s difficult to imagine coaching salaries — riding a crest last year with Florida’s signing of Joel Quenneville — not taking a dive alongside the players’ salaries through the pandemic.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man some posters here are pathetic. Hating on Lou is such a crummy thing to do. You can be a dubas fan without coming across as immature and biased.

Lou made good moves this year. Do I think he deserved GM of the year. Personally no b/c in the regular season (which the award is for of I'm not mistaken) the islanders were 7th in the east. They have been incredible in the playoffs and that's probably given enough shift in the voters mind to take him from 5th-7th place for the award to winning it. His achievements this year were still very strong and his team enjoyed great succsess as a whole.

He made some big moves which certain posters here dont want to credit in

1. Varlamov coming in as a UFA and solidifying their tandem (showing Lou once again knows how to build great goaltending for his team).

2. Pageau being incredible for the isles in the playoffs with the price which once looked bad(pick could have been in the teens) will now be 28-31 along with a 2nd and 3rd. Pageau has produced like a great 2C in the playoffs.

3. Adding a veteran defender in Greene who has been very solid in the playoffs for the isles allowing for their defense not to take a hit (was gotten as insurance in case Pelech was out longer than expected)

These three additions have helped build on isles last year team and Lou did good on 2/3 UFAs in Nelson and eberle who are playing great bith in reg season and playoffs.

Lou isnt a perfect GM, he has focused more on the isles present than future and thinks they're good enough to win with a few changes. Remains to be seen if that's the case but he has made the right short term moves as demonstrated by the results. He is a top 10 GM and probably closer to Top 5 looking at results relative to projected expectations over the past 2 years.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Vegas Dallas series makes me wonder what kind of damage an Auston Matthews Jamie Benn Mark Stone line could do.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man dallas is really going to make the finals and probably win the cup the way they're playing. They were such an afterthought in my mind. Expected they'd be gone by ESF at latest again.

Their players are really outperforming their regular season production.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Man dallas is really going to make the finals and probably win the cup the way they're playing. They were such an afterthought in my mind. Expected they'd be gone by ESF at latest again.

2nd lowest GA/G in the league by a clear margin.

Their success shouldn't surprise all that much.

They have the ability to win scoring 2-3 goals almost every single night.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Think it was earlier this season or last season. It was rumoured that Benn wanted out but could not be traded bc there was no offer due to his productions and cap hits.

Stars just find ways to advance.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Very similar to the Islanders on the other side. They have great goaltending and they are getting goals from all over. Sometimes you just punch above your weight, even though there are probably better teams that lost.

I'd rather have them win than Vegas... because we own Vegas' 4th and 5th round picks and I would love for them to be a spot or two higher. Plus they are an expansion team so they can wait their turn ;)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Really thought Vegas would steamroll Dallas.

I did not think they would steamroll. I actually had Dallas winning the series, mostly because I wanted them to win, but also after how Dallas handled Colorado (even though they almost gave up a 3-1 deficit themselves) and how Vegas almost lost to Vancouver. Dallas has a lot of the same sort of strengths as Vancouver, but is better at them.

Imagine if Seguin scored more too... He only has 8 points in 19 games. I am not even sure if that is top 10 on their team.

They are getting some luck and good goaltending, much like the Islanders are on the other side. I would also say that Vegas is not Tampa; Tampa has more skill and you need skill to win.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In the playoffs, they are 16th out of 24 teams in goals against, while being 21st defensively. Pretty high up in goal scoring though.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Knights getting screwed by shooting percentages. Similar to a blue and white team.

I wonder if they should trade their best players.

Knights are in the Final 4, while a certain blue and white team qualified for the draft lottery.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario

Also had the second best record in the league from November to March.

Seguin apparently is playing through a wrist injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad