Around the NHL: Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
At least we're not the Flyers? Gettin bitched in back to back games vs the Islanders is one thing... but against the Devils? AV got some splainin to do
When it comes to the most disappointing teams this season, Flyers are very much a contender for that title. They have fallen off so hard compared to last year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I knew that would be the responses immediately but it doesn’t really change much. Laf has been great lately but still gets 15 minutes a game and minimal PP time. Same for any of the kids. The fact that it was Byfield’s first game is almost irrelevant. Our kids have earned more minutes down the stretch but can’t get them. Chytil’s ELC is over in 6 games. He had a slide year as well where he played 9 games. 4 seasons pro and he can’t get on the second PP above Colin Blackwell.

Look, I do actually understand that depth and the team’s situation have some bearing and that it’s not all about minutes. And it’s not about me wanting to see shiny new toys out there. It is a legitimate question that we won’t see the outcome of for a few years regarding how you develop top offensive players. What we’ve done with Chytil, Kakko, Laf and now Krav is a departure from what virtually every other NHL team does.

Keeping in mind he was the unanimous #1 pick in what was considered a strong draft here’s some numbers. This is just rookie forwards for this year. Then I have Kakko (last years #2), Chytil (#21 four years ago) and Kravtsov (#9 3 years ago) numbers so we can see where they fit in among true rookies even though Kakko and Chytil are not:
View attachment 427609View attachment 427610View attachment 427612Kakko’s 14:21 per game, Chytil’s 13:09 per game and Kravtsov’s 11:24 per game for perspective. On the PP Kakko gets 1:20, Chytil averages 35s per game in his 4th year and Krav averages 2s. Laf didn’t make the cutoff for PP time but he’s 24th among rookie forwards at 1:16.
Borderline-playoff-team drafts 1st overall. Yeah happens all the time.

You guys literally care more about their TOI than how they’re actually playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers ftw

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
And it's not like they've been terrible either.

For all the criticism the Rangers had about not finding elite talent the Flames have and were never able to gave sustained post season success.
Yeah I always think of Iginla when I see the Flames. Even though they made the SCF in 2004 he was so far ahead of his teammates in terms of talent it was incredible. Flames management really gave him very little top talent to work with.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
AV is one of the few coaches in this league I wouldn't take over Quinn.

That isn't saying much, but hes an awful coach who has no business being employed.

I wouldn't take him either but he I still think those 13-14 and 14-15 teams overachieved, good teams but not as good as their results. We haven't overachieved in any season under Quinn. But I guess the bottom of his performances have been worse. The Flyers are a mess.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I wouldn't take him either but he I still think those 13-14 and 14-15 teams overachieved, good teams but not as good as their results. We haven't overachieved in any season under Quinn. But I guess the bottom of his performances have been worse. The Flyers are a mess.

13-14 team deserved to be where they were. They were way better than the regular season results at least (where they had the most crap-tastic luck I've seen a team have.) The 14-15 team wasn't as good, but they finished their chances and got ridiculous goaltending from both Hank and Talbot.

How do those teams look with slightly above average goaltending though? Those teams also had a decent amount of Torts influence to them too, especially the one that went to the finals. I'll give him and the group credit for fighting back from 3-1 series deficits in back to back years though. Theres a level of focus and mental toughness that is required to do that once, let alone in consecutive years. Does anyone think that a team under Quinn would do other than go out quietly in game 5 under the same circumstances?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
13-14 team deserved to be where they were. They were way better than the regular season results at least (where they had the most crap-tastic luck I've seen a team have.) The 14-15 team wasn't as good, but they finished their chances and got ridiculous goaltending from both Hank and Talbot.

How do those teams look with slightly above average goaltending though? Those teams also had a decent amount of Torts influence to them too, especially the one that went to the finals. I'll give him and the group credit for fighting back from 3-1 series deficits in back to back years though. Theres a level of focus and mental toughness that is required to do that once, let alone in consecutive years. Does anyone think that a team under Quinn would do other than go out quietly in game 5 under the same circumstances?

The 13-14 team was good and they played a great team game (though I wouldn't say Torts-like, much better at possession), but they really only had one skater that was better than just above average (McDonagh). Fox, Panarin, and Zibanejad would be the three best players on that team not counting Hank and Buchnevich and Strome are likely pacing more points than anyone on that team (though I'm not sure if that's the case after the two game embarrassment against the Isles). That team was much better than this one just showing how they probably outperformed their talent. They were the best possession team since I've started watching (00-01) and that's more coaching. That wasn't really typical AV coaching, but it wasn't Torts coaching either. So I'm not sure what that's about.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stars are stumbling. Still hoping for a Round 1 matchup with Carolina.

I think Carolina is going to be my band wagon team. Last year didn't care about the playoffs after the Rangers got swept. Carolina was just more prepared than us. But really want to enjoy some more hockey this season before next season starts.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think Carolina is going to be my band wagon team. Last year didn't care about the playoffs after the Rangers got swept. Carolina was just more prepared than us. But really want to enjoy some more hockey this season before next season starts.

they’re tough. Would love to see them vs Dallas. That’s a heavy weight matchup right out of the gate. It’s a rare matchup due to Covid.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
they’re tough. Would love to see them vs Dallas. That’s a heavy weight matchup right out of the gate. It’s a rare matchup due to Covid.

I just don't want to see Tampa in the finals again, especially after all that LTIR BS they are pulling.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Islanders blew a 2-0 lead (I thought it was impossible to score on them once they've already scored) and lost to a Sabres team that started a f***ing janitor in net. Even interim coaches are better than DQ.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Islanders blew a 2-0 lead (I thought it was impossible to score on them once they've already scored) and lost to a Sabres team that started a f***ing janitor in net. Even interim coaches are better than DQ.

Can’t make this shit up. lol.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'd be f***ing embarrassed to have that scumbag on my team as I was embarrassed to have Hollweg on the team when he became a hit from behind machine. I know Wilson is a better hockey player than Hollweg but that shouldn't reason to lose all of your integrity.

Reactions: Cmox

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
I'd be f***ing embarrassed to have that scumbag on my team as I was embarrassed to have Hollweg on the team when he became a hit from behind machine. I know Wilson is a better hockey player than Hollweg but that shouldn't reason to lose all of your integrity.
Ooo, I remember Ryan "Boarding Major" Hollweg :help:

Edit: Anyone remember the intro to NYRangerscast?
"He cost us the game, he cost us the series, he cost us the season!"

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
If the NHL can mandate that Avery attend anger management therapy for making a (very) poor taste pre-game comment, they can do the same for Wilson coming within about 2 inches of committing manslaughter twice in less than 60 seconds.

Reactions: Cmox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad