Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ahh, a fellow Dec 20th Bday boy. Spending Birthday money on Christmas presents and getting short changed on gifts nearly sent me spiraling into a life of bullying as well.

I sincerely hope that no one is using that as an excuse for his behavior, because if so, as someone who was born on Dec 21st and has had more than his share of crappy "combo" gifts growing up, **** that guy.
f*** you both, Christmas Day right here. :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Miller made his shitty bed, he can now lie in it. He had an opportunity to change himself and make change for others but didn't take the opportunity. Now his best contributuon to the bullying problem is that he loses his career and kids everywhere hopefully realize its not right and it will catch up to you.
If he wants to play he has to make things right with that kid and start an anti bullying campaign, otherwise he's done. Either he has shitty parents and an agent or he really is an ass who refuses to fix the problem he created because any agent or parent should know this was going to come up
Honestly this may end up being the best thing for society as a whole. Everyone gets to see that if you behave like a psychopath, you're f***ed. That may well serve as a better teaching lesson than whatever anti-bullying message this turd could have conveyed. It's actually even better then that he was drafted and then had his rights renounced, as a lot more people have now heard about this than would have had he gone without being drafted.

Reactions: YoSoyLalo

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Or maybe he’s still too immature to do any of that yet. It’s hard enough to admit you’re wrong and face up to it and turn into something positive, you’d have to be a really mature 18 year old to do all that. I think he will eventually, but will it be too late for him? Not that I’m going to shed any tears for him, but people expect way too much from kids sometimes.

I don't like the idea of something following somone forever but the idea that the other kid sits at home mentally scared and he goes on to an Nhl career doesn't seem right either. I just can't believe the little shithead hasn't come out with a statement by now, so f him i guess.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Or maybe he’s still too immature to do any of that yet. It’s hard enough to admit you’re wrong and face up to it and turn into something positive, you’d have to be a really mature 18 year old to do all that. I think he will eventually, but will it be too late for him? Not that I’m going to shed any tears for him, but people expect way too much from kids sometimes.
I don't think asking for empathy after torturing a kid for years is asking too much.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I said it before, I'm usually pretty sympathetic to guys who do stupid things as teens, particularly at an age where I was still in middle school. However, certain behavior is just totally beyond the pale and to this amateur psychologist, symptomatic of major character flaws in a person. At 14, unless Miller himself suffered from some developmental disability, you should still have some ability to feel empathy. The complete disregard shown for another human, another human that himself was incredibly vulnerable is just really, really troubling. And if it's true that he hasn't personally apologized to the victim, and that his camp wasn't totally forthcoming with the teams that interviewed him, it shows that there is still a major problem manifest in this guy's life. Whether he himself is an actual psychopath, or whether he's just very troubled and has a bad support system, it seems pretty clear he's still a problem.

Playing professional hockey is a privilege, and even though he was young, I feel like the act and continued questionable behavior has him forfeit that privilege.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I said it before, I'm usually pretty sympathetic to guys who do stupid things as teens, particularly at an age where I was still in middle school. However, certain behavior is just totally beyond the pale and to this amateur psychologist, symptomatic of major character flaws in a person. At 14, unless Miller himself suffered from some developmental disability, you should still have some ability to feel empathy. The complete disregard shown for another human, another human that himself was incredibly vulnerable is just really, really troubling. And if it's true that he hasn't personally apologized to the victim, and that his camp wasn't totally forthcoming with the teams that interviewed him, it shows that there is still a major problem manifest in this guy's life. Whether he himself is an actual psychopath, or whether he's just very troubled and has a bad support system, it seems pretty clear he's still a problem.

Playing professional hockey is a privilege, and even though he was young, I feel like the act and continued questionable behavior has him forfeit that privilege.

Apparently he was picking on this kid from 2nd grade on into junior high school when he finally ran afoul of the authorities. It makes me think that Miller's parents were part of the problem but tormenting this kid and progressively becoming crueler over a 6/7 year period speaks to someone who has real issues and that his parents didn't take hold of him and make sure he connected with his victim afterwards tells me he's been getting away with shit all his life.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
just because i was curious

since 1970, the NBA has had 17 different teams win a championship

in that same time span, 19 different NHL teams have won the cup

since 2006, the NHL has had 10 different cup winners.

the NBA has had 8

It’s stunning to me that it’s this close, I must say.

I still think parity is a serious issue in the NBA. The champion each year is an issue, but look at the records of the teams as well. A good team doesn’t have just a statistical advantage to win against a bad team. It’s practically guaranteed.

What’s even the point of being a fan if your team sucks (Besides the obvious reason that basketball blows as a sport lol)?

Reactions: egelband

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The NBA has always been a dynasty league. They’ve become immensely more popular on the backs of dynasties and star players. Some people may not like it, but it’s overwhelmingly popular.

I don’t like their cap system bc it’s overly complex. But Hockey needs some adjusting itself IMO.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It’s stunning to me that it’s this close, I must say.

I still think parity is a serious issue in the NBA. The champion each year is an issue, but look at the records of the teams as well. A good team doesn’t have just a statistical advantage to win against a bad team. It’s practically guaranteed.

What’s even the point of being a fan if your team sucks (Besides the obvious reason that basketball blows as a sport lol)?

I think looking solely at championships sort of obscures the issue. Sure, since the institution of the cap in the NHL (and the revenue linked cap in the NBA), there have been 10 different Cup winners to 8 different NBA champions. BUT... there have been 20 different Cup finalists to just 10 different NBA championship finalists. Just 7 NBA teams make up 90% (27/30) of the finals appearances, with random appearances from the Magic, Thunder, and Raptors.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm sure some of you already heard the rumor that SKA St.P is thinking about bringing over and signing Miller to a contract. If true the kid will get paid. Despicable!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sure some of you already heard the rumor that SKA St.P is thinking about bringing over and signing Miller to a contract. If true the kid will get paid. Despicable!

The only reason all this actually led to Miller's rights being denounced was because he isn't a top prospect. If this was Lafreniere, Byfield etc, there's no way this whole saga happens.

Just like Auston Matthews got away with his harrassment case, yet Leipsic had his contract terminated for something significantly less impactful.

The NHL is full of hypocrites

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
First thing that ran thru my head was he may head to europe or the KHL when the yotes and his college team dumped him.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
First thing that ran thru my head was he may head to europe or the KHL when the yotes and his college team dumped him.

Where do you think Bill Peters is coaching these days? Rhetorical question.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The only reason all this actually led to Miller's rights being denounced was because he isn't a top prospect. If this was Lafreniere, Byfield etc, there's no way this whole saga happens.

Just like Auston Matthews got away with his harrassment case, yet Leipsic had his contract terminated for something significantly less impactful.

Matthews didn't make a disabled kid lick a urine soaked treat though.

I'm not disagreeing with the general sentiment...but it's not the same thing.

A better comparison in terms of severity would be Slava voynov...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Matthews didn't make a disabled kid lick a urine soaked treat though.

I'm not disagreeing with the general sentiment...but it's not the same thing.

A better comparison in terms of severity would be Slava voynov...

Or Bobby Hull who is still celebrated and paraded around like a hero by the NHL.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

That’s life. If Kaepernick was as good as Brady or Mahomes then he’d be in the NFL If your going to bring the hoopla then you better be worth the hoopla. It’s not unlike many professions out there.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Amazing how AZ literally screwed over everyone involved.

They wasted a draft pick after already being penalized picks. They also embarrassed themselves. It’s terrible from a PR standpoint.

They hurt the family of the disabled kid which was extremely poor. They should’ve reached out to the family beforehand and either cleared it with them or decided not to draft him.

Not that I’m crying a river for Miller but he’s been dragged through the mud and lost his scholarship from the sounds of things. He’d have been better off just finishing school then maybe tried the undrafted free agent route or Europe. Again, not being an apologist for this kids disgusting behavior. In reality he should’ve tried his best to make amends with the family - but I’m just focusing on the AZ angle.

I just can’t believe how poorly the whole process went. It would’ve been difficult to intentionally handle something so poorly.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
That’s life. If Kaepernick was as good as Brady or Mahomes then he’d be in the NFL If your going to bring the hoopla then you better be worth the hoopla. It’s not unlike many professions out there.

I get that you are bringing Kaepernick into the conversation as an example of "stirring up drama", but come on...

He literally just tried to non-violently start a conversation about systemic racism. Miller literally tortured a kid for years. That their actions are being compared in any way turns my stomach.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I get that you are bringing Kaepernick into the conversation as an example of "stirring up drama", but come on...

He literally just tried to non-violently start a conversation about systemic racism. Miller literally tortured a kid for years. That their actions are being compared in any way turns my stomach.

Im not going to get into the politics of it. I was merely making the point that if you bring any type of baggage then your play better make the side stuff worth it. Obviously, I’m not equating one act to another. You can make the same argument about a guy like Tebow. Teams don’t want a circus for a 3rd string QB, but if he was a top 10 QB then he’d be in the league.

If Miller had the skill of Lafreniere he’d have been drafted a heck of a lot higher and a team would’ve flipped the script to an anti-bullying campaign or something. For a 4th round pick, they’ll cut their losses. Sad that it’s a double standard but that’s the reality of the situation.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Im not going to get into the politics of it. I was merely making the point that if you bring any type of baggage then your play better make the side stuff worth it. Obviously, I’m not equating one act to another. You can make the same argument about a guy like Tebow. Teams don’t want a circus for a 3rd string QB, but if he was a top 10 QB then he’d be in the league.

If Miller had the skill of Lafreniere he’d have been drafted a heck of a lot higher and a team would’ve flipped the script to an anti-bullying campaign or something. For a 4th round pick, they’ll cut their losses. Sad that it’s a double standard but that’s the reality of the situation.

Yeah, I agree with you.

It's just because of the politics of it that I take issue with Karpernick having "baggage".

But you're very right that there is no reason for us to go into that.

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Yeah, I agree with you.

It's just because of the politics of it that I take issue with Karpernick having "baggage".

But you're very right that there is no reason for us to go into that.

Maybe scrutiny would be a better word. Whether any issue is right, wrong, or indifferent to you it becomes a distraction to the team. You might put up with it for Connor McDavid but you won’t for a mid round pick with the odds stacked against him to begin with.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Honestly this may end up being the best thing for society as a whole. Everyone gets to see that if you behave like a psychopath, you're f***ed. That may well serve as a better teaching lesson than whatever anti-bullying message this turd could have conveyed. It's actually even better then that he was drafted and then had his rights renounced, as a lot more people have now heard about this than would have had he gone without being drafted.

I don't think 14 year olds are truly capable of making a decision that properly weighs such messages intended for society.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't think asking for empathy after torturing a kid for years is asking too much.

I was a victim of bullying myself as a 14-15-16 year old; nothing quite as heinous as this, but nonetheless things that were certainly enough to cause substantial emotional distress. Some of it, unfortunately, is just kids being kids though. I'm not saying that Miller was "just being a kid," but to my knowledge he did receive punishment for his behavior contemporaneously.

I'm not claiming to know what is correct right now, but I do find the "it's a privilege to play in the NHL and if you are a bully (even a racist one) at 14, you give up your privilege to play in the NHL" argument to be a bit disingenuous and/or disconcerting.

A lot of people do a lot of terrible things at age 14 that would get them fired in the real world if they had done it at age 22 or whatnot. If we are gonna go back and hold their feet to the fire - after they had already received what was considered just punishment at the time of the incident by most authorities - I do not believe that is automatically or generally a wise decision. I think there are better ways to send the message of no-tolerance for racism than re-punishing something that happened when the transgressor was 14, even under the auspice of "that doesn't align with our organizational values." It's a punishment.

That being said it's also impossible for us to know the exact circumstance of the team's interaction with Miller since some of this has come to light. Did they ask him to renounce his behavior or issue an apology and he refused? Etc. That is certainly more understandable then.

Reactions: kovazub94

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

Which unfortunately causes me to question the motives of the organization in making the move to begin with. Does it really run afoul of their organizational values, or are they trying to score some points for little cost?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
No talk about the 48 game season proposal and some owners wanting to not play at all?

I'm with Bettman, it will hurt the sport way more not to play.

If it's too expensive, then the league and the NHLPA should negotiate pay cuts, no? Or is that already built in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad