Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I agree with @Draft Guru. I’ve been pounding the table for massive changes to the salary cap for a while. I think the fact that the cap is so suffocating kills player movement, and therefore makes the NHL a lot less exciting.
I could not agree less haha. In my view, it’s the complete opposite. The hard salary cap makes it way more exciting, and why hockey is basically the only sport I watch, besides boxing. I will die on this hill, I don’t care. I feel very, very strongly about this lol

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
just because i was curious

since 1970, the NBA has had 17 different teams win a championship

in that same time span, 19 different NHL teams have won the cup

since 2006, the NHL has had 10 different cup winners.

the NBA has had 8

Reactions: Rangers743

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

the NBA has had 8
At the beginning of each season there’s normally a handful of NBA teams that you could conceivably see winning it all. They change from year to year (whenever LeBron hits free agency) but that’s not really parity.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

the NBA has had 8
Think a lot of the nba has no parity talk comes from the fact the nba finals were dominated by the Warriors vs Lebron for the last few years. This years playoffs were some of the more interesting in quite a few years. I would say the NHL does have more parity tho, not even just winning cups but in terms of the possibility of upsets.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Think a lot of the nba has no parity talk comes from the fact the nba finals were dominated by the Warriors vs Lebron for the last few years. This years playoffs were some of the more interesting in quite a few years. I would say the NHL does have more parity tho, not even just winning cups but in terms of the possibility of upsets.
to be fair, the Lakers winning it all was incredibly predictable lol. but, i think the NHL is quite a bit more predictable than people like to claim. Like, who was the last super underdog cup winner that came out nowhere? the kings? in the last few years, all of the cup winners have been teams that finished high in the standings and were viewed as favorites. yeah, you see a team like the preds have a cinderella run, but in the end that team will almost always loses to the favorite - they lost to Pittsburgh. The Rangers lost to LA. The Knights lost to the Caps. Pittsburgh winning their cups was predictable. Tampa winning this year was predictable. The Blackhawks and their cups wins were predictable.

I do think the NHL has more parity than the NBA, yes, but IMO it's overstated. And a lot of it is just the nature of each sport moreso than the system that they operate under. Hockey is a chaotic sport regardless of whether or not there's a cap. Basketball is a sport dominated by superstars whether there's a cap or not.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I do think the NHL has more parity than the NBA, yes, but IMO it's overstated
tenor.gif

Reactions: YoSoyLalo

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
to be fair, the Lakers winning it all was incredibly predictable lol. but, i think the NHL is quite a bit more predictable than people like to claim. Like, who was the last super underdog cup winner that came out nowhere? the kings? in the last few years, all of the cup winners have been teams that finished high in the standings and were viewed as favorites. yeah, you see a team like the preds have a cinderella run, but in the end that team will almost always loses to the favorite - they lost to Pittsburgh. The Rangers lost to LA. The Knights lost to the Caps. Pittsburgh winning their cups was predictable. Tampa winning this year was predictable. The Blackhawks and their cups wins were predictable.

I do think the NHL has more parity than the NBA, yes, but IMO it's overstated. And a lot of it is just the nature of each sport moreso than the system that they operate under. Hockey is a chaotic sport regardless of whether or not there's a cap. Basketball is a sport dominated by superstars whether there's a cap or not.

Basketball has like 12 active guys per team during a game where like 7-9 play most of the minutes. Hockey has 10 guys per team already playing in the first two minutes.

Very different.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
At the beginning of each season there’s normally a handful of NBA teams that you could conceivably see winning it all. They change from year to year (whenever LeBron hits free agency) but that’s not really parity.

This is the biggest issue with the NBA. You need 3 great players to build a dynasty in the NBA.

How many teams have been competitive for a decade-plus in the NHL? The Penguins and the Bruins, that's about it. Every other team has been through the motions of sucking, drafting high and then for most, getting back in the play offs

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
You know, a lot of the conversation has been around has Miller learned from his actions? Has he grown passed them? But it doesn't consider the trauma he inflicted on the kid he did (and, honestly, I'd be shocked if there weren't more). That child has to deal with Miller's psycho trip for the rest of his life. Bullying doesn't ever end, the things that were inflicted upon you (and in Miller's victims case, in such cruel and relentless fashion) never ever leave you. They affect you in your self esteem, the way you interact with others, and your ability to exist in society. Miller has WAY more atoning to do than a stupid apology right before draft day. And to his hockey prospects being gut punched in one-fell swoop, tough shit cupcake, you don't get the luxury of easy life lessons cause the kid(s) you bullied didn't either and never will. Cause he can grow passed it but his victim(s) may never be able to.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Miller being dropped from UND means his career is probably done.

Tough lesson for the him but that's what happens when you do awful stuff

I blame his parents as well. his parents should have seen Miller's racist personality. the fact that his family did not notice, they should be part of the blame too. was he in American History X

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Eh, I don't know. I could see a path going something like a year off, KHL for a year, AHL contract after some very public-facing growth or appearance of growth.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

I think that is really up to him and how he reacts to this...a big reason the outcry was so big is cause he really showed no remorse or that he learned from it and that isn't surprising when there were no consequences for his actions...well know there are the biggest of consequences. so how does he respond to this? its not enough to be remorseful now cause that's just being sorry that you got caught. but does he learn and try to turn it into a positive somehow? does he try to turn this into an anti-bullying thing by showing kids that he is an example of what can happen if you do those things....

people love a redemption story for lack of a better term....there are very few things that you can't comeback from IF you earn it and show you deserve another chance...it certainly won't be easy but how bad does he want it...

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Miller made his shitty bed, he can now lie in it. He had an opportunity to change himself and make change for others but didn't take the opportunity. Now his best contributuon to the bullying problem is that he loses his career and kids everywhere hopefully realize its not right and it will catch up to you.
If he wants to play he has to make things right with that kid and start an anti bullying campaign, otherwise he's done. Either he has shitty parents and an agent or he really is an ass who refuses to fix the problem he created because any agent or parent should know this was going to come up

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
For half-a-season it looked like Harvey was progressing into the player he was projected to be. And then the injuries mounted and it became apparent that it wasn't meant to be.

He was also dealt for a pretty good return for the Rangers as well.
And he was a 4th liner by the time the Rangers traded him. I still have a future NHL star Todd Harvey rookie card from when he was with Dallas. Definitely a good return in getting Dvorak.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You know, a lot of the conversation has been around has Miller learned from his actions? Has he grown passed them? But it doesn't consider the trauma he inflicted on the kid he did (and, honestly, I'd be shocked if there weren't more). That child has to deal with Miller's psycho trip for the rest of his life. Bullying doesn't ever end, the things that were inflicted upon you (and in Miller's victims case, in such cruel and relentless fashion) never ever leave you. They affect you in your self esteem, the way you interact with others, and your ability to exist in society. Miller has WAY more atoning to do than a stupid apology right before draft day. And to his hockey prospects being gut punched in one-fell swoop, tough shit cupcake, you don't get the luxury of easy life lessons cause the kid(s) you bullied didn't either and never will. Cause he can grow passed it but his victim(s) may never be able to.

It's true that some people will never get past these kind of things and they can be very traumatic but time can be a great healer and traumatic experiences can be turned into something positive. There are things from my own family that speak to this but just for another example I'm reading a book by the Irish writer Colum McCann 'Apeirogon' right now about two peace activists---one a Palestinian and the other an Israeli who helped form the group The Parents Circle--both of these men lost young daughters to violence from the other side and yet they chose to use those murders not to hate but to bring other people together so that they maybe won't have to go through the same suffering. This has become their life's commitment.

On Miller--there seems to be a need for both more reflection and more atonement. He's been skating through life too easily for the things he's done. I don't want to hate on this kid but he's brought this on himself. He needs to stand up for real and it should start with him facing his victim and asking forgiveness.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Miller made his shitty bed, he can now lie in it. He had an opportunity to change himself and make change for others but didn't take the opportunity. Now his best contributuon to the bullying problem is that he loses his career and kids everywhere hopefully realize its not right and it will catch up to you.
If he wants to play he has to make things right with that kid and start an anti bullying campaign, otherwise he's done. Either he has shitty parents and an agent or he really is an ass who refuses to fix the problem he created because any agent or parent should know this was going to come up
Or maybe he’s still too immature to do any of that yet. It’s hard enough to admit you’re wrong and face up to it and turn into something positive, you’d have to be a really mature 18 year old to do all that. I think he will eventually, but will it be too late for him? Not that I’m going to shed any tears for him, but people expect way too much from kids sometimes.

Reactions: kovazub94

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Ahh, a fellow Dec 20th Bday boy. Spending Birthday money on Christmas presents and getting short changed on gifts nearly sent me spiraling into a life of bullying as well.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Ahh, a fellow Dec 20th Bday boy. Spending Birthday money on Christmas presents and getting short changed on gifts nearly sent me spiraling into a life of bullying as well.

I sincerely hope that no one is using that as an excuse for his behavior, because if so, as someone who was born on Dec 21st and has had more than his share of crappy "combo" gifts growing up, **** that guy.

Reactions: Sooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad