Around the NHL: Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
When I was a kid i thought he was an absolute superstar, mostly because of his name. I also thought P.J. Axelsson was the Bruins' best player, for similar reasons.

Afinogenov was a great player but was an absolute superstar when he played those awful Ranger teams of the Dark Ages. That brings back memories of some really bad hockey.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I like Buffalo. I like it as a hockey town. I like their jerseys and their fans. I like Eichel and Dahlin. I loved Drury and Pominville and Afinogenov. It’s disappointing they’ve been so bad for such a while now. I don’t root for Buffalo, but I’d enjoy seeing them in the playoffs for a change.
I like Buffalo too. Lots of family from there. And it’s a good town. I would love for them to get rolling again. Successful smaller markets means the league is healthy.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Watching some soccer today. Makes me miss hockey all the more.
Baseball back in Japan as of tomorrow. Yay! of note, they’ve had a few Covid cases during training camp. It hasn’t derailed things. The affected players have come out of training, recovered, and as far as I know, will be playing when the season opens.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Watching some soccer today. Makes me miss hockey all the more.

Haven't watched a lick of soccer that's been on the tele lately. But you reminded me, I've heard they are pumping in crowd noise. If so, how does that seem to work for you as a fan. Does it seem to coincide with what's going on the field?

Reason I ask is I wonder if they are going to do this for our games vs the Canes? You have to figure they'll have our goal scoring horn and the Canes will have theirs but just wondering if they'll pump in crowd noise.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I like Buffalo too. Lots of family from there. And it’s a good town. I would love for them to get rolling again. Successful smaller markets means the league is healthy.

I'm with you. I used to go to college up there(SUNY Brockport) and me and my buds would go to the old Buffalo Aud and the fan there are so passionate about their hockey. Me and my buds would take the hour or so drive from Brockport to Buffalo to go to the games anytime the Rangers came too town.

And back than in the early to mid 80's the Sabres had some damn good teams and were perennital playoff participants with guys like the Phil Housley's, Mike Foligno's, Gilbert Perreault's, Danny Gare's, Tony Mckegney's of the world. I don't see why they can't get back to where they can at least get too the playoffs again.

I kind of root for them a bit seeing they aren't in our division, they are no real threat too us and they are from NY. Hopefully the hockey gods will finally shine on that godforsaken franchise. Being a Sabre fan almost makes me feel as a NY Knick fan that it's a walk in the park...lol

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'm with you. I used to go to college up there(SUNY Brockport) and me and my buds would go to the old Buffalo Aud and the fan there are so passionate about their hockey. Me and my buds would take the hour or so drive from Brockport to Buffalo to go to the games anytime the Rangers came too town.

And back than in the early to mid 80's the Sabres had some damn good teams and were perennital playoff participants with guys like the Phil Housley's, Mike Foligno's, Gilbert Perreault's, Danny Gare's, Tony Mckegney's of the world. I don't see why they can't get back to where they can at least get too the playoffs again.

I kind of root for them a bit seeing they aren't in our division, they are no real threat too us and they are from NY. Hopefully the hockey gods will finally shine on that godforsaken franchise. Being a Sabre fan almost makes me feel as a NY Knick fan that it's a walk in the park...lol

The 80s was a weird time for the NHL as based on the playoff format, only three teams in the East really ever got consistently far (Islanders, Flyers, Canadians). Rebuilds and team building were also slower so it would take longer to build. Sabres, Whalers, Nordiques, even the Jets would always get punched in the face by round 2.

It's crazy to think the Rangers for all intents and purposes actually had a lot more playoff success than those mentioned teams in the 1980s going to the ECF equivalent x2 and winning at least one playoff round in 5/10 years. And that's a decade when they had no superstars.

Reactions: Maximus

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Well, that's sickening.

The worst of it all is anything involving the coaches. Of course the kids are going to go full Lord of the Flies on their own, but there's no excuse for grown-ass men to encourage it. That takes a disgusting human being.

Sounds crazy... wonder how much is true or embellished. Hard to believe that’s all going on today - you almost think some stuff would get out just having idiot kids with smart phones - but sounds horrendous. Who would thought a guy like Carcillo - of all people - would be the guy speaking out about concussions and hazing.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Sounds crazy... wonder how much is true or embellished. Hard to believe that’s all going on today - you almost think some stuff would get out just having idiot kids with smart phones - but sounds horrendous. Who would thought a guy like Carcillo - of all people - would be the guy speaking out about concussions and hazing.

I think Carcillo changed significantly as a person (for the better) when Steve Montador died.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The 80s was a weird time for the NHL as based on the playoff format, only three teams in the East really ever got consistently far (Islanders, Flyers, Canadians). Rebuilds and team building were also slower so it would take longer to build. Sabres, Whalers, Nordiques, even the Jets would always get punched in the face by round 2.

It's crazy to think the Rangers for all intents and purposes actually had a lot more playoff success than those mentioned teams in the 1980s going to the ECF equivalent x2 and winning at least one playoff round in 5/10 years. And that's a decade when they had no superstars.

The absolute disrespect to Pierre Larouche smh...

Reactions: Boris Zubov

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Well, that's sickening.

The worst of it all is anything involving the coaches. Of course the kids are going to go full Lord of the Flies on their own, but there's no excuse for grown-ass men to encourage it. That takes a disgusting human being.

lol I made a Lord of the Flies reference on the main board thread and it didn’t go over too well. Lots of illiterates on this site I guess.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
if even 10% of that article is true the CHL should be disbanded and their entire governing structure should be imprisoned

Can't say I disagree. This is just psychotic shit that was going in if true. And I can't imagine that most if not all of this is true seeing who the F could or would make shit like this up.

Man this is really disturbing. This is like shit you'd see in one of those sick movies like "Saw" or the "Hostel". Can't believe this went on and recently too. Alot of peeps need to be sent to prison for this...my lord this is just horrible!!

Reactions: egelband

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Apparently Auston Matthews, as well as multiple Lightning staff & players, have tested positive for COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad