Around the NHL: Part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'd be interested to know what "philosophical differences" Botterill and the Pegulas had. They didn't make the playoffs but they did improve this year quite a bit

And I assume we're getting to the point where Eichel is going to want out, or he's already there and just being quiet about it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Botterill fired in Buffalo. Kevyn Adams named GM. I dont think Adams has any NHL front office experience. Must be fun for Eichel.

Fun trivia, Adams was once a highly prized free agent back in 1997 who didn't come to terms with the Bruins (who drafted him in the first round of 1993).

The Rangers were one of the finalists for his services that summer, and put on a pretty decent presentation for him (which I helped work on). Ultimately, he signed with the Leafs.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Fun trivia, Adams was once a highly prized free agent back in 1997 who didn't come to terms with the Bruins (who drafted him in the first round of 1993).

The Rangers were one of the finalists for his services that summer, and put on a pretty decent presentation for him (which I helped work on). Ultimately, he signed with the Leafs.

And didn't play much for the Leafs either, especially the first two seasons. He'll always be a Hurricane in my mind.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

The Islanders may be forced to go back to Brooklyn since the arena is technically closed while they look for someone to take over the debt for the arena. Belmont won't be done in time for next season.

So, the Rangers last game in that building has a chance to be that Zibanejad rocket in OT. And the one before that is the Kreider winner with 25 seconds left.

Goodbye and good riddance to that place.

Reactions: Zats Muccarello

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Still not done? They practically fired everyone that isn't the NHL roster, NHL coaching staff, and the AHL roster.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I like Buffalo. I like it as a hockey town. I like their jerseys and their fans. I like Eichel and Dahlin. I loved Drury and Pominville and Afinogenov. It’s disappointing they’ve been so bad for such a while now. I don’t root for Buffalo, but I’d enjoy seeing them in the playoffs for a change.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Buffalo. I like it as a hockey town. I like their jerseys and their fans. I like Eichel and Dahlin. I loved Drury and Pominville and Afinogenov. It’s disappointing they’ve been so bad for such a while now. I don’t root for Buffalo, but I’d enjoy seeing them in the playoffs for a change.
Did you love Satan? :laugh:

Honestly though, he was great. I always liked Buffalo, too. Except Jeanneret, I though his shtick was/is awful.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Did you love Satan? :laugh:

Honestly though, he was great. I always liked Buffalo, too. Except Jeanneret, I though his shtick was/is awful.

Rick Jeannette is so loved by Sabre’s fans but is so grating. Satan was never a favorite of mine, not that I disliked him. But I liked that Sabre’s team that made the run and fell short against Carolina. Miller and Biron. Gaustad before he got traded for a haul and got a silly contract. JP Dumont. Mike Grier. Jay McKee. Brian Campbell. Derek Roy. Drew Stafford. Those were fun teams to watch for a few years there.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Growing up, the Rangers and Buffalo were always my favourite two teams. Hasek is probably my all-time favourite non-Ranger.

Two to three years ago, I was pretty happy with the thought that they were the team that I could root for against the up and coming Leafs powerhouse. It turns out that they still suck and the team I can root for to beat the Leafs powerhouse is the Leafs powerhouse. The world keeps turning.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Growing up, the Rangers and Buffalo were always my favourite two teams. Hasek is probably my all-time favourite non-Ranger.

Two to three years ago, I was pretty happy with the thought that they were the team that I could root for against the up and coming Leafs powerhouse. It turns out that they still suck and the team I can root for to beat the Leafs powerhouse is the Leafs powerhouse. The world keeps turning.

Leafs gonna Leaf. But I had the same optimism about the Sabres. I’ll always have a soft spot for them.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
In addition to firing Botterill and replacing him with a yes-man with 0 experience, the Pegulas also fired both assistant GMs (and refused to commit to hiring any for the new GM), the director & assistant director of player development, the coaching staff of the Rochester Americans (who were on their way to a 3rd straight playoff berth), members of the player development staff, and AT LEAST a dozen amateur scouts.

New Sabres GM Kevyn Adams inherits barren hockey operations...

Graham: Pegulas end up in another unwinnable position of...

"We're going to get leaner," Terry Pegula said in a conference call with reporters Tuesday. Pegula also declined to commit to hiring assistant GMs for Adams. "When we were in detailed discussions with Jason and how we felt we needed to move forward effectively, efficiently and economically running this franchise, we felt there were too many differences in opinion," Pegula said.

"
Pegula Sports and Entertainment, the Sabres’ parent company, has pulled the purse strings in recent months. The Sabres’ management team, including Botterill, were forced to take temporary salary reductions – even though the non-playoff bound Sabres had just six home dates remaining at KeyBank Center. The Sabres also laid off 21 employees and furloughed 104 more in April, and have since fired additional staffers.

The Buffalo Bills organization, also owned by PSE, has not been impacted.

Buffalo Sabres decide to start over once again - TSN.ca

Make no mistake, this is pure, Melnyk level greed.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

Maxim Afinogenov is one of my favorite hockey names ever lol

Reactions: leetch99

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'd be interested to know what "philosophical differences" Botterill and the Pegulas had. They didn't make the playoffs but they did improve this year quite a bit

And I assume we're getting to the point where Eichel is going to want out, or he's already there and just being quiet about it.
Money.

Sabres have(had) bloated organization. Pegulas wanted to really tighten belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad