Around the NHL: Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Just caught the end of Game 1 from the Rangers-Caps series in 2015.

I know it was a dirty hit and we won the series, but I’m so glad we’ve moved on from that era of the Rangers. That finish was a microcosm of that group. No successful team had worse killer instinct than that bunch. For all the winning, that era was an emotional rollercoaster. More than it needed to be.

That's what happens when you get a bunch of guys who like each other and listen to Mumford and Sons. Needed a little adversity in that group. I really hope that this core can have two-three players who are just pricks and hates to lose and may not be loved by their teammates but can learn to close out a series in 4-5. I don't care who it is if it's Justin Richards, Levi Aaltonen, Adam Endstrom, or someone who will be drafted this year. Just give me some heels in the locker room please.

When all is said and done for me on my tombstone after my end date should have a * that reads (should have been six more months no thanks to that 2012 Senators series). For as much as I loved the 2012 regular season I hated those playoffs.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

Deleted member 23124

Just caught the end of Game 1 from the Rangers-Caps series in 2015.

I know it was a dirty hit and we won the series, but I’m so glad we’ve moved on from that era of the Rangers. That finish was a microcosm of that group. No successful team had worse killer instinct than that bunch. For all the winning, that era was an emotional rollercoaster. More than it needed to be.
Lack of killer instinct on this team has been an on-going problem for many, many years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hey Everyone: when Bettman mentioned Pittsburgh as a potential hub city, did anyone else roll their eyes and think "Of course the NHL in a global pandemic is going to do whatever they can however they can to make Pittsburgh relevant and part of this?" If I could bet on a hib city finalist I'd throw $50 on Steel City. The NHL loves them. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the SCF location as well even if Crosby and his heroes are sent home.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Timing of this playoff and anticipated start of next season appears to be sandwiching the next anticipated lockdown IMO.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I really liked Ryane Clowe in his 7 seconds as a Ranger and really wish it lasted longer
He seemed style-wise to be a legit perfect fit on that team. We knew he was damaged goods when he came along but i thought he could have lasted a little longer. I hope he’s doing fine now. He had a bunch of concussions, didn’t he.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hey Everyone: when Bettman mentioned Pittsburgh as a potential hub city, did anyone else roll their eyes and think "Of course the NHL in a global pandemic is going to do whatever they can however they can to make Pittsburgh relevant and part of this?" If I could bet on a hib city finalist I'd throw $50 on Steel City. The NHL loves them. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the SCF location as well even if Crosby and his heroes are sent home.

To me Ottawa would probably be a good place. The rink is kind of out in the sticks and Ottawa isn't going to be playing anyway. Canada as well does not have the coronavirus issues that the United States has and just for that reason I'd probably have everything played up north--just not in Toronto and Montreal and maybe not Vancouver either. Ottawa would be a very neutral site and if any players managed to do a prison break there'd be less chance of them bringing something bad back with them.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He seemed style-wise to be a legit perfect fit on that team. We knew he was damaged goods when he came along but i thought he could have lasted a little longer. I hope he’s doing fine now. He had a bunch of concussions, didn’t he.

I think he had a really good first game for us and then got concussed in his second game. Came back for a few playoff games--wasn't right and that was it. And then he signed with the Devils (because they had to try to troll us) to like a 4/5 year deal for a lot of money and hardly played for them. That part was great.

Following the links from Clowe's wikipedia page we find out that Clowe's concussions were still dogging him into 2019--it's the reason he stepped away from a head coaching gig in the ECHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Quite a story. He was an AHL/ECHL-caliber player when here. Went to Denmark for a year. Two great years in SHL including 49 points in 48 games this season.

Will be interesting to see if he actually has NHL skills. Good for him, either way.

Reactions: egelband

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Quite a story. He was an AHL/ECHL-caliber player when here. Went to Denmark for a year. Two great years in SHL including 49 points in 48 games this season.

Will be interesting to see if he actually has NHL skills. Good for him, either way.

Ducks are taking a lot of small risks to try and add to their D and fix their PP. If they can find that one or two players to make a difference, can be really competitive sooner rather than later. Hoping he makes the big club, like to see what he can do. I don't think his signing was meant for the Gulls.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Great story, 5 years of Canadian College Hockey, Hartford, Greenville, Denmark, Sweden, and he signs a contract at 30 that will earn him a million a season playing at least AHL hockey, with I'm guessing a solid chance to play in the NHL.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
To me Ottawa would probably be a good place. The rink is kind of out in the sticks and Ottawa isn't going to be playing anyway. Canada as well does not have the coronavirus issues that the United States has and just for that reason I'd probably have everything played up north--just not in Toronto and Montreal and maybe not Vancouver either. Ottawa would be a very neutral site and if any players managed to do a prison break there'd be less chance of them bringing something bad back with them.

I haven't been following the developments at all about where the play-in and playoff rounds will be played, but I have to think that Edmonton and Winnipeg would be the front runners as Canadian cities to host some games.

Quebec and Ontario have gotten hit by Covid exponentially harder than the rest of the country, and Calgary and Vancouver have a much larger and denser population than the other two.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I haven't been following the developments at all about where the play-in and playoff rounds will be played, but I have to think that Edmonton and Winnipeg would be the front runners as Canadian cities to host some games.

Quebec and Ontario have gotten hit by Covid exponentially harder than the rest of the country, and Calgary and Vancouver have a much larger and denser population than the other two.

Ottawa, Winnipeg and Edmonton might really be the best choices of all IMO.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
we just need somewhere for the Metro to play and we're all set. dunno why Traverse City isn't in the mix, tbh

That's maybe not a bad idea in some sense---though I know Michigan was hit very hard by the pandemic but I'm not sure what the Upper Peninsula is like in regard to that. Still you're kind of out in the sticks. I think the other issue might be telecasting. Not sure the two rinks are the greatest for telecasting these games. I'm trying to recollect but they are kind of small. I don't know if there are stands that go all the way around or if there are balconies or what not but there might be an issue with angles. Usually during Traverse you just have that one shot.

Reactions: FultonReed

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
That's maybe not a bad idea in some sense---though I know Michigan was hit very hard by the pandemic but I'm not sure what the Upper Peninsula is like in regard to that. Still you're kind of out in the sticks. I think the other issue might be telecasting. Not sure the two rinks are the greatest for telecasting these games. I'm trying to recollect but they are kind of small. I don't know if there are stands that go all the way around or if there are balconies or what not but there might be an issue with angles. Usually during Traverse you just have that one shot.
Not enough hotels

Reactions: FultonReed

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not enough hotels

Well I've never been in the area but I would guess that you are almost certainly correct and that might also be a reason for why some college sites wouldn't work either---besides all the security that would have to be put into place. Wherever this will be held is not just a hockey tournament but a logistical operation.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The hub would likely need somewhere between 700-800 hotel rooms. 600 for the teams (50 x 12) plus another 100-200 for on-ice officiating crews, broadcasting crews, and league officers. Probably closer to 700.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know how many hotels the NHL is thinking, but they have constantly said that "sufficient hotels" is a requirement for any hub city. The fact that it has been so emphasized makes me think they're really looking to spread teams out as much as possible and that they really do need a large number. My wife is from a town not dissimilar from Traverse, and her town has 6-7 chain hotels (fracking boom) that could easily accommodate 700 people, plus random mom-and-pop type hotels and motels. But I don't think the league is looking to stuff teams into Microtels and Best Westerns just because each might be able to house two teams.

Deleted member 23124

I suspect they would need to rent the entire hotel just to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->