Around the NHL: Part XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Unless I'm reading this wrong it looks like we're gonna both make the playoffs AND have a chance at the lottery
Correct.

NYR could win the play-in, TOR could also lose their play-in, and then both win lotto picks. Since TOR pick is Top 10 protected, we'd then get CAR's lotto pick no matter what.

Entirely possible for NYR to win the Cup and get 1OA.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Correct.

NYR could win the play-in, TOR could also lose their play-in, and then both win lotto picks. Since TOR pick is Top 10 protected, we'd then get CAR's lotto pick no matter what.

tenor.gif

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Unless I'm reading this wrong it looks like we're gonna both make the playoffs AND have a chance at the lottery

play-in round isn't really the playoffs its to qualify for the playoffs so we can still miss the playoffs and not win the lottery

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
so for the non-playoff teams, the top 3 spots are determined by the lottery and then 4-15 is determined by point %....so if we beat carolina, then our own pick would drop from 13th to 16th or worse depending on which teams advance in the play-in rounds....and we'd only benefit from carolina being in the top 15 if toronto also loses AND ends up in the top 10.

there are 7 play-in teams worse than us (i think) Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Arizona, Chicago and Montreal...so this creates an interesting rooting situation. if we beat carolina, then we want all of those teams to lose and remain in the top 15 because if they advance they would push our pick down further. but if we lose to carolina, then we want all of these teams to advance since that would push our pick up.

considering we most likely will get slaughtered by any of the top 4 seeds cause we don't have the depth to compete. best case scenario is to lose in 5 and then have as many of those 7 teams as possible advance...if they all advance we'd jump to 8 prior to the lottery (if I understand how this works)...

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
so with only 2 hub cities (east & west), you could be looking at an olympic style schedule in terms of game times...depending on when they can start games and how quickly they want to get thru the play-in round you could be looking at a full day of games on tv...between the play-in games and round robin, you could have 3 games per day at each location, 6 games on tv....

I don't think any of the cities have multiple arenas (unless they pick LA and also use anaheim), so you could have games in both hub cities at the same time, but pretty much forces you to have games all day long if there are only 2 arenas.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Minneapolis/St. Paul will probably be one of the hubs, as there are several NHL-sized rinks likely available for use.

Xcel Energy Center/Target Center/Wild's practice arena/Ridder Arena as well as a few other practice rinks in a single facility.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Minneapolis/St. Paul will probably be one of the hubs, as there are several NHL-sized rinks likely available for use.

Xcel Energy Center/Target Center/Wild's practice arena/Ridder Arena as well as a few other practice rinks in a single facility.

also works in terms of not being overly populated for isolation if everything goes back to normal...and the most northern us city so summer heat would be slightly less of an issue.

i'd probably go with minn/st paul and edmonton

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This whole thing has Stanley Cup with asterisk written all over it.

To me, it's as much of an asterisk as the 1995 Devils or 2013 Blackhawks. The Cup win will count. Fans will celebrate. The rest of the league will hate it. I doubt the team that wins it actually cares about it coming with an asterisk

Reactions: egelband

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Correct.

Technically true, but in this case “entirely possible” represents a scenario that has about .01% odds. I don’t believe any team outside the top 6 has ever moved up to #1 since this system was implemented and a handful of grabbed 2 or 3. For two teams in the 8-15 range both to win lottery picks is all but statistically impossible.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Technically true, but in this case “entirely possible” represents a scenario that has about .01% odds. I don’t believe any team outside the top 6 has ever moved up to #1 since this system was implemented and a handful of grabbed 2 or 3. For two teams in the 8-15 range both to win lottery picks is all but statistically impossible.
Oh I know how small the chance is.

But at the same time...

giphy.gif

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Draisaitl already has the Hart locked up

The majority of the old fogeys voting on these awards look at two things, points and plus/minus

Draisaitl leading in points by a wide margin makes it easy for them to choose

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Draisaitl already has the Hart locked up

The majority of the old fogeys voting on these awards look at two things, points and plus/minus

Draisaitl leading in points by a wide margin makes it easy for them to choose

I think they consider +/- a lot. Ovechkin had very similar seasons in 13-14, 14-15 15-16. He finished in 23rd/2nd/7th in Hart voting. The year he was 23rd he was -35. There hasn't actually ever been a minus player to win the Hart. And it's not like the leading scoring always wins it. Hall got it 6th in scoring 15 points out of first.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Personally I think Montreal has no business beating Pittsburgh. That said the Pens could use a good dose of adversity IMO--they've been riding high ever since the NHL gifted Sidney Crosby their way to keep Mario Lemieux from relocating his team. Personally when someone threatens me I'm like do what you got to do and then I'll figure out a response. The NHL knuckled under. The Pens are the original tankers--that's how they got Lemieux in the first place. They are why there is a lottery at all.
Pittsburgh’s version of adversity involves them getting 1OA though.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What exactly does it entail that Carolina "voted to not play us"?
I can’t tell if Carolina thinks the Rangers aren’t worthy of their time or if they’re actually scared of the Rangers. I guess their actions speak louder than their words but they’re quite a good team and they definitely loaded-up for the playoffs.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Just caught the end of Game 1 from the Rangers-Caps series in 2015.

I know it was a dirty hit and we won the series, but I’m so glad we’ve moved on from that era of the Rangers. That finish was a microcosm of that group. No successful team had worse killer instinct than that bunch. For all the winning, that era was an emotional rollercoaster. More than it needed to be.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I know it was a dirty hit and we won the series, but I’m so glad we’ve moved on from that era of the Rangers. That finish was a microcosm of that group. No successful team had worse killer instinct than that bunch. For all the winning, that era was an emotional rollercoaster. More than it needed to be.

But thats what made it fun?

I will take that Stepan G7 OT winner over a 4 game sweep any day though. Just the sheer jubilation when that puck went in is something I won't ever forget.

.... I do wish they had more 4 game sweeps along the way though. We've had 1 in the Hank era and that was 13 years ago.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007

I will take that Stepan G7 OT winner over a 4 game sweep any day though. Just the sheer jubilation when that puck went in is something I won't ever forget.

.... I do wish they had more 4 game sweeps along the way though. We've had 1 in the Hank era and that was 13 years ago.

It certainly made it exciting. But for every Stepan heroic (I’ll never forget that finish either) there was three pathetic collapses against teams like Ottawa in 2017. It was heartbreaking.

What team loses 3 times in OT in the Stanley Cup Finals? That was something only that group was capable of.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

My biggest gripe was the offence completely drying up as soon as the playoffs started every single year. Our 2013 team was IMO the best of the era and was dominating like we've never seen post-TDL after adding the forward depth that was lacking. Absurd but true; Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan might have been the best line in the league that year in terms of results.
upload_2020-5-31_15-41-51.png

We ultimately lost that year due to ridiculous injuries on D, but even so we almost didn't get by Washington as our previously high octane offence struggled to score more than one goal per game and the possession dominace we saw in the RS evaporated against a terrible possession team in Washington.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
My biggest gripe was the offence completely drying up as soon as the playoffs started every single year. Our 2013 team was IMO the best of the era and was dominating like we've never seen post-TDL after adding the forward depth that was lacking. Absurd but true; Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan might have been the best line in the league that year in terms of results.
View attachment 348340

We ultimately lost that year due to ridiculous injuries on D, but even so we almost didn't get by Washington as our previously high octane offence struggled to score more than one goal per game and the possession dominace we saw in the RS evaporated against a terrible possession team in Washington.

Their deadline moves were terrific. The added depth made them really, really dangerous but their PK sucked that year (and it got ROASTED in the playoffs IIRC) and their bottom 6 was meh+as you said the D was just all kinds of jacked up.

We did see those signs of life from the team when healthy though and that carried over to the next season.

I have no idea how the f*** the 2014 Philly series went 7. The Rangers kicked their teeth in for that entire set and it should have ended in 5.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Their deadline moves were terrific. The added depth made them really, really dangerous but their PK sucked that year (and it got ROASTED in the playoffs IIRC) and their bottom 6 was meh+as you said the D was just all kinds of jacked up.

We did see those signs of life from the team when healthy though and that carried over to the next season.

I have no idea how the f*** the 2014 Philly series went 7. The Rangers kicked their teeth in for that entire set and it should have ended in 5.
The bottom-6 was awful to start the season but after the TDL we had an amazing 3rd line:
upload_2020-5-31_17-1-18.png

Clowe going down threw a wrench into things, he was great before he got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->