Around The NHL: Part X – DAL-STL / COL-SJ / CBJ-BOS / CAR-NYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Stars have a very good opportunity to advance to the WCF.

The Blues are a very good team. There were times against the Jets when the Blues looked like they were going to lose. The Blues scored late in game one. The Blues got a fluky goal by ROR in game two. The Jets won games three & four in St. Louis. It seemed the Blues missed their opportunity to take control of the series. The Blues were down 2-0 in game five and rallied for three third period goals. The Blues looked finished after two periods in game five. If game six was five minutes longer, the Jets would have tied it up. The Jets have blown leads at home all season. Connor Hellebuyck was average in the Blues series.

When does the clock strike midnight on Jordan Binnington? It looked to be close a few times in the Jets series.

The Stars are playing their best hockey of this season.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
To play devil's advocate, why didn't Foegele get a penalty when he cross checked Oshie in the back and he broke his clavicle after crashing into the boards?

Foegle did get a penalty but not a 5 so I see your argument... I agree there is no standard and that's a problem with the refs in this game. Quite frankly that was a dirty play by Foegle and he should have been thrown out of the game

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
This call just gets me more pissed off about the penguins and Crosby. Mostly because I'm obsessed and a prick.

But when Crosby mamed Methot it was cool because players slash each other thousands of times per game and lopping a finger off is a freak accident. No need for a penalty, let alone a suspension for injuring a player with a stick. But when Cody Notcrosby pushes someone who catches an edge and lands on another player's boot and then the ice, the refs get together and toss the guy for cross checking to the face.
Gallant said he was told by officials that Eakin cross-checked Pavelski across the face, which doesn’t show in the replay.

Different standards.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Sharks got at least 2 penalties called against them just in that game that should NOT have been anything close to a penalty.

It's been happening to them all series, Vegas has gotten ALL of the breaks. Just like Tampa, they crumbled when things did not go their way. I feel absolutely zero sympathy for them
My take on it as well.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hellebuyck is a very mediocre goalie and I've always felt like Bishop is a really good one...

I legit think the stars can make it out of the west. They've got all the aspects of a winner except for depth...and sometimes you can overcome the depth by playing your horses till their breaking point.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hellebuyck is a very mediocre goalie and I've always felt like Bishop is a really good one...

I legit think the stars can make it out of the west. They've got all the aspects of a winner except for depth...and sometimes you can overcome the depth by playing your horses till their breaking point.

Depth matters a ton though. Those minutes you're force feeding your best guys will almost always come back to get you.

If I'm St Louis, I'm feeling really, really good about my chances of making it to the final this year. It depends on the goalie and which guy shows up, so far theirs has held up. I'd love for him to shit the bed now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Bishop is a very good goaltender and he has been deep into the playoffs. When he was with Tampa he was not the issue was their top 6 which continues to be an issue today in going ice cold. Only issue with Bishop is he tends to get injured a little too often. But if he stays healthy he is one of the better goaltenders in the league, imo.

Reactions: bl02

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Only disappointed because we needed Vegas to win for draft pick purposes. Would have enjoyed that game much more otherwise.

But those refs deserved to not ref another game this postseason and possibly even fired. What an absolute horrendous call. Literally gift wrapped the Sharks the game.

We didn't really need them to win. It was just one of the possibilities. Now that they're out, we can still get to 18 if Colorado beats San Jose (and the 2 WC teams in the east make the final)

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Quick thoughts...well maybe not so quick as we move on to the 2nd round after what easily is the wildest craziest 1st round that I can ever recall in all my fandom which is a berry berry long time...lol

I know I'm in minority here but I'd love for those adorable jerky Canes to emerge and beat Caps but they won't. They'll be going down tonight to the Caps who will make it to the ECF as I anticipate Isles will be a bit rusty at first and by time they get their shit together, it will be too late...Caps win in 6 maybe 7 as we here in Ranger Nation breath a sigh of relief as none of us want the Islanders to move on.

We than would have Bruins vs Jackets and I know this might be bold but I think Torts and Jackets aren't finished as they will make it to the ECF to play the Caps. Columbus is the team of destiny this year(think Vegas last year), the Jackets will beat the big bad Bruins in 6 to make it to the ECF where they will play the Caps.

And I don't think it ends there for the Jackets either as I expect them to beat the favored Caps in the ECF in 6 games and make it to their first Cup final.

Out West, I like the Blues to best the Stars in 6 and I like the Sharks to beat the 'Lanche in 7 tough games leaving a WCF of the Blues vs Sharks . The Blues dream season ends and the Sharks who were on the brink of defeat vs Vegas head to the finals to play the Jackets.

This is where the Jackets dream ends and Moses...I mean Joe Thornton and his Sharks hoists the Cup. Had Vegas won, I would have picked them to have won the Cup. Now that Sharks got that miracle, they are destined to win it all....we'll see.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
On top of blowing a 3-1 series lead.

It was a tough call but its not nearly as simplistic as Vegas wants to make it out to be.

Yeah, Vegas had plenty of time and opportunities to close out this series. I really don't feel bad for them. It was a bad call. But it was more that San Jose got fired up seeing their captain laying on the ice, knocked out, bleeding........ you ain't alive if that does not get you fired up and want to win it for him.

To add, I said it in the main thread, Couture really stepped up as leader/captain, was very impressed with that, and I am all about the influence of leadership. Which goes underrated, imo, especially on HF.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Now that the Sharks are over the hump and living on house money, I wonder if it's finally their year.

That year Boston came back from down 3-0 games and game 7 down from 3-0, it just seemed like it was meant to be from that point on.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Now that the Sharks are over the hump and living on house money, I wonder if it's finally their year.

That year Boston came back from down 3-0 games and game 7 down from 3-0, it just seemed like it was meant to be from that point on.

San Jose also has the galvanizing moment with the Pavelski injury (which seemed brutal). Considering how much they turned it on after that moment, I wouldn't be surprised if they went on a big run. Vegas was no slouch team either.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

not sure when they were down 3-0 but the 3 goal comeback in game 7 was 2013 against toronto...bruins lost to the hawks in the finals that year

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Foegle did get a penalty but not a 5 so I see your argument... I agree there is no standard and that's a problem with the refs in this game. Quite frankly that was a dirty play by Foegle and he should have been thrown out of the game

A split lip gets you 4 minutes.

A broken clavicle gets you 2 minutes.

A mild cross-check and a fluke tumble gets you a game 7 win in the playoffs.

PRICELESS.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

We shall see and the Sharks were the overall favorite to make it to SCF (with TBL) before the season. However, IMHO losing Pavelski will eventually cost them dearly during this playoff run and I'm nowhere near as sold on Jones (compared to Tim Thomas back then).

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If the Canes win tonight we will be rooting for 4 underdogs in the next round and I wouldn't be surprised if all of them won (albeit I would be surprised if the Canes beat the Islanders). Dallas, Colorado, Canes, Jackets.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

That was actually philly doing it to Boston but your point still stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->