Around The NHL: Part X – DAL-STL / COL-SJ / CBJ-BOS / CAR-NYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Bad call or not Vegas totally imploded. Agree that it was a horrific call, but it didn't affect the outcome as much as the the non-call in the Saints game. Not with a 3 goal cushion. If it was a 1 goal game, id say yeah. Whens the last time 4 goals were scored on a 5 min major? Hell, when was the last time 3 goals were scored?

But, those match penalties should be reviewed. The other thing that is being lost is that Eakin was tossed from the game. For a shove off the faceoff. Not only is the other team given a 5 minute power play but you lose a player. In the playoffs and potential overtime games thats huge. Just because someone is seriously injured doesnt mean someone on the other team HAS to pay for it. Too much of a snap judgement.

But theres a lot of bitching about the call from Vegas. Haven't heard anything about how the Vegas PK and Fluery had a total meltdown.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It was a horrendous call, but still. Vegas. Come on. When was the last time you say three goals on a 5-minute PP? Four goals? I don't remember four goals. And in that spot. It literally cannot happen.

It's funny, I like seeing people say this, because I personally have always believed you can say the same thing about any controversial call. This one is a particularly egregious sure, but it's pretty much always true.

When the Rangers got screwed on that call in the SCF, they still failed to hold the lead against the Kings or score another goal themselves. It was on them, not the refs.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Metranger

May 22, 2015
So, if Colorado beats SJ will it be the same as far as the position of Rangers #1 pick as if VGK beat SJ?

Reactions: bl02

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Yes. Vegas winning would've just guaranteed that the pick moves up, but if Colorado wins against SJ it's the same thing anyway. Ditto Columbus and Carolina (if Carolina wins tonight).
Yay. I think Colorado will be too tough and too quick for SJ. And no Pavelski. Oy.

Block More Shots

Jul 19, 2005
NJ
Yeah, that's a 2 minute penalty, hands down. That push from Eakin happens sometimes as players battle off the faceoff... I've actually seen similar plays in the past where there's no penalty called at all. The 5 and a game was given because of the result of the play. It's just an unfortunate circumstance because Pavelski seemed to really get hurt, hoping for a quick recovery.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Yeah. That's 2 minute cross checking. If it wasn't for Statsny knocking Pavelski down so hard(inadvertant or otherwise) it likely would have only been 2 minutes.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It was a horrendous call, but still. Vegas. Come on. When was the last time you saw three goals on a 5-minute PP? Four goals? I don't remember four goals. And in that spot. It literally cannot happen.

isles did it last feb against the wings

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Good post on the main board:

If you cross check someone lightly in the back and they lose their footing and break their neck when they stumbled head first into the boards, is that 2 minutes?

It's an unfortunate call and a hard call to make. If it was on the Sharks I'd be pissed

With that said, he was cross checked which is a penalty and despite the result being a fluke injury, the illegal contact led to the injury therefore 5 minutes would be possible (based on referee discretion)

I think cross checking someone in the back lightly and throwing them off balance leading to them crashing into the boards with a major injury is a good example of how a play that goes uncalled most games could easily be 5 minutes based on the outcome of the hit.

Edit: I honestly think even with a review they may still call a major there due to the outcome of the play just like they probably would in my light cross check = broken neck analogy.

Whether or not the rules define it, the "discretion" rule usually at the very least takes into account an injury that happened on the play. Same thing as a suspension assessment by NHL DPS.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
Listen bad calls happen every night and they happen to both teams. You cannot give up 4 power play goals in 5 mins in a game 7 on the road up 3-0 when you’ve already Blown a 3-1 series lead and blame the refs for the loss. That is flat out embarrassing. What a horrific display by Vegas. Not one of them should even mention the refs.

And why eakin is even putting himself in that position is dumb. The knights played dumb all night and it finally caught up to them. 3-0 lead Just melt the clock and keep the game quiet.

But blaming the refs is childish here. They embarrassed themselves all by themselves

Blaming the refs is not childish. The game was OVER. The sharks rallied around a player they thought was badly injured. The energy and momentum came from the refs. Period. It was a terrible call they changed the outcome. What is WORSE than that?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Eh I have no sympathy for Vegas.

Like some have said here, don’t do dumb shit if you’re not willing to pay for it. No reason Stasny and Eakin needed to hit Pavelski up high

They were going to win, all they had to do was play normally for the rest of the third

And it didn’t help that Fleury couldn’t stop a beach ball

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Good post on the main board:

Whether or not the rules define it, the "discretion" rule usually at the very least takes into account an injury that happened on the play. Same thing as a suspension assessment by NHL DPS.
To play devil's advocate, why didn't Foegele get a penalty when he cross checked Oshie in the back and he broke his clavicle after crashing into the boards?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Woof, what a absolute brutal call on that major.

To think that call helped end a season for a team.

4 officials out there and they somehow managed to get that wrong is unacceptable. Probably thought "oh its 3-0, we'll just give them this bone to shut the fans up"...ooops that backfired. Pretty confident you won't see those refs in the 2nd round.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Things were better when they only had 3 officials out there...

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
These are the rules for the Eakins penalties below. Whether or not the call was right, the continuous major penalty needs to go. That was just a farce.

SECTION 8 – STICK FOULS (p.87)
Rule 59 – Cross-checking (p.87)
59.1 Cross-checking - The action of using the shaft of the stick between
the two hands to forcefully check an opponent.
59.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty, at the discretion of the Referee
based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player
who “cross checks” an opponent.
59.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee
based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player
who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).
59.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match
penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately
injured his opponent by cross-checking.
59.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is assessed for
cross-checking, an automatic game misconduct penalty shall be
imposed on the offending player.
59.6 Fines and Suspensions - When a major penalty is imposed under
this rule, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall also be
imposed.
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by
the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

REFERENCE TABLES (p.135)
TABLE 6 (p.137)
(Rule 20 – Major Penalties)
SUMMARY OF MAJOR PENALTIES THAT RESULT IN AN AUTOMATIC GAME MISCONDUCT
Description (Rule)
(i) Butt-ending (Rule 58)
(ii) Checking from behind (Rule 43)
(iii) Clipping (Rule 44)
(iv) Cross-checking (Rule 59)
(v) Fighting (after original altercation) (Rule 46)
(vi) Fighting (when aggressor) (Rule 46)

The nhl.com Game Summary has this listed for the penalties:
539:13
21C.EAKIN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5Cross checking (maj)
639:13
21C.EAKIN
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
10Game Misconduct
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.