Around the NHL: Part III – Oilers Fire Chiarelli [Update: Still Suck]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This is why you sell to the western conference teams. Their playoff picture is so wild that many teams are still "in it" and will want to solidify that spot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
who are his linemates in chi?
upload_2019-2-19_10-50-50.png

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The top bar in the post by @aufheben shows the most common linemates by % on a per-game basis. So you can look from game to game who his most common linemates were.

From the looks of it, Strome started off mostly with Kane/DeBrincat, then went to Anisimov/Kane, then in the most recent stretch it's been DeBrincat/Kahun.

Not seeing how that was difficult to interpret...like at all.

Reactions: TheTakedown

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The top bar in the post by @aufheben shows the most common linemates by % on a per-game basis. So you can look from game to game who his most common linemates were.

From the looks of it, Strome started off mostly with Kane/DeBrincat, then went to Anisimov/Kane, then in the most recent stretch it's been DeBrincat/Kahun.

Not seeing how that was difficult to interpret...

What it also appears to be showing is that his line is getting outshot by A LOT, like 25 shots more against than for per 60 minutes if I'm reading that correctly

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What it also appears to be showing is that his line is getting outshot by A LOT, like 25 shots more against than for per 60 minutes if I'm reading that correctly
Yes, that is the recent trend with Strome, and by proxy that line.

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yet another long-term goalie contract that looks awful in year 1. Signed through 2023-24.
The way the NHL has been trending, thats probably the LAST position that anyone should get a long term contract. Starting to almost look like a crapshoot. One year on, one year off.
A QB in football, can only be as good as his offensive line protects him.
A really good goaltender can look "average" without any kind of defensive support. The offensive players in general are too skilled. Defenses aren't what they used to be. The NHL simply isn't designed for defense any longer.

We witnessed that, when Hank was struggling for a while last year......started anticipating too much (because of bad defense) leaving him out of position. Never blaming anyone, just saying he has to be better.
Look how Price "fell off the map" with a horribly slow, Montreal defense.
All of a sudden, Price is on his game and Montreal winning games? Not just him, his defense is better. Duh. Many other examples for sure.

They wanted more scoring......we got it. I do like it, just wondering how much of a dropoff come PO's.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Not seeing how that was difficult to interpret...like at all.
You could be smarter than many (myself included) but actually I am not THAT BAD understanding graphs, but it still gave me a headache. But I do love @Leetch3 post above. Super lol.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
can't say that I have the time to watch Strome a lot but from what I've seen people say he still seems more like a complementary piece rather than a guy who will lead his line. Valuable when you can put him with players who will maximize his talents but he's not going to be the guy driving the line

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I am not sure when this pic was taken...maybe Jan game ? Maybe already posted , but if not it is a great shot . Leddy? laughing in the background . The guy who posted this is a former boxer and he has worked with a lot of these guys from PEI like the AHL Gallant brothers ....who would sooner fight then eat !!! He has also worked with Ross Johnston who is featured here in the pic.

Reactions: trilobyte

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
The Carolina Hurricanes at 68 points in 59 games are outside of the playoff picture looking in.

If they were in the West, they would have the 5th best record.

weird year

also where tf did the Blues come from? (accepting any answer besides "St. Louis")

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Alex Debrincat up to 30 goals and a PPG after last night. When are GMs gonna learn that Small guys who tear up juniors are worth drafting high, and not modestly scoring power forwards. I guess some have learned. Kucherov and Kane are dominating the league and are both 5-10. Point is barely 5-10 and he’s on pace for 100 points, only 22 years old. Johnny hockey 4th in scoring .

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Alex Debrincat up to 30 goals and a PPG after last night. When are GMs gonna learn that Small guys who tear up juniors are worth drafting high, and not modestly scoring power forwards. I guess some have learned. Kucherov and Kane are dominating the league and are both 5-10. Point is barely 5-10 and he’s on pace for 100 points, only 22 years old. Johnny hockey 4th in scoring .

It's great that these guys are doing well, but there are countless examples of small forwards not being able to make the cut as well. I think the smaller guys, generally, are more boom or bust while the bigger guys can find depth roles a bit easier. So the flash may be more with the smaller guys

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Bring me Cole Caufield

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
DeBrincat had three key points that made him drop despite egregious scoring numbers.

1. He had been playing with McDavid in his D-1 season and with Dylan Strome in his D season. Was his production, akin to Sam Gagner's (who played with Patrick Kane), too much due to his strong teammates?
2. He was tiny.
3. He was also seen as a bad skater, which made point 2 even more salient.

1 and 2 don't apply to Arthur Kaliyev, so he is ranked in the mid-1st rather than the 2nd. I'm of the opinion that when your numbers are that good you overlook the flaws - at least if your production is significantly better than the alternatives'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad