NHL Around the NHL - Offseason moves and rumblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The ball-scratching over on the main board for Kucherov ONLY accepting 9.5 million per year pre-tax in a state with no state tax is ridiculous.

Reactions: DKH and Critical91

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

That's $1m more than Stamkos.

He had a 3 year bridge deal with the Lightning for $4.766m per year. If you take those 3 and add them to the first 3 years of this new deal, his average salary for the first 6 years post ELC is $7.133m.

Compare that to signing Pastrnak for 6 years at $6.667m.

You take a risk with a player by signing bridge contracts that you will pay more in the long run. You also need to make sure those players are worth that long term deal.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The ball-scratching over on the main board for Kucherov ONLY accepting 9.5 million per year pre-tax in a state with no state tax is ridiculous.
The more the better. Can’t have a powerhouse and not have cap problems. Since when did the Tampa fans get so obnoxious?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The more the better. Can’t have a powerhouse and not have cap problems. Since when did the Tampa fans get so obnoxious?

I think it's most of the main board.

Bunch of cap geniuses over there apparently. As if the million or so saved from Kucherov taking a Tavares-like contract is really going to change their fortunes.

Reactions: Critical91

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Do you mean ball-washing? :laugh:

Pastrnak is a tic below Kucherov at this point, but makes $3m less.

Marchand is right there with him, and makes $6.125m.

If Kucherov had taken $7.5-8.0m per, that would have been a true "hometown discount". I guess any time a top player takes below $11m these days, he's giving out a discount?

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Push comes to shove, the league will balk (like they did with NJD)... no way if Weber retires before 40 does the league give the Preds a 24.5 million cap charge
It's completely wrong and encourages cap circumvention, but I agree with you. Given Weber's injury woes, it's unlikely he plays out he contract yet the League will fold somehow.

Sometimes the League can be like one of those crappy parents that set the bar but never carry through.

"I've warned you before, haven't I? And now you've done it again. I'm telling you, if you do it again, there will be a price to pay. Last warning."

Translation?: Dad's a weak, dumbass.

Reactions: Buckets and Gloves

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's completely wrong and encourages cap circumvention, but I agree with you. Given Weber's injury woes, it's unlikely he plays out he contract yet the League will fold somehow.

Sometimes the League can be like one of those crappy parents that set the bar but never carry through.

"I've warned you before, haven't I? And now you've done it again. I'm telling you, if you do it again, there will be a price to pay. Last warning."

Translation?: Dad's a weak, dumbass.

yeah but all Weber has to do is go sit on LTIR and collect the checks. no consequences for Nashville or Montreal (other than losing Subban) in that scenario

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
yeah but all Weber has to do is go sit on LTIR and collect the checks. no consequences for Nashville or Montreal (other than losing Subban) in that scenario
Agreed. Which means the League is basically encouraging teams to offer contracts that will likely end with guys sitting on LTIR even though they never intend to play again..

I think that's fine for unique situations like M Savard. #91 had an honest and fair contract, got hurt by a cheap dirty play, and for a host of reasons it made sense for him to ride out LTIR.

However, for a guy like Weber, his contract was almost designed with this outcome in mind.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Wow, Yzerman working magic with that deal. I would've guessed 10.5-11m for Kucherov. With how they are trying to build their team, even saving a million or 2 on a big contract is huge.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
2019 Lightning

Kucherov 9.5
Stamkos 8.5

Hedman 7,875
McDonagh 6,750

Total $32,625

I want Karlsson!!!!!

Bwhahahaha

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wow, Yzerman working magic with that deal. I would've guessed 10.5-11m for Kucherov. With how they are trying to build their team, even saving a million or 2 on a big contract is huge.
Yzerman is screwed

Check back with me next Summer

I like you I’ll be gentle

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Kucherov is a 25 year old stud winger coming off a 100 pt season, who will be in his prime for most of the contract. Then factor in the cap is increasing. Locking the guy up for 8 years at 9.5 cap hit per seems is a smart move. Now that they have dealt with the necessity of signing Kucherov they can get down to the reality of dealing with their cap situation and trying to fill out a full roster with what's left. Tampa has an awful lot of money tied up in a small number of players. Point will be getting paid nicely after this coming season as well. Regardless of all that, Tampa is going to be tough as hell to beat next year.

Reactions: Estlin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Yzerman has a bit of an advantage bidding against other teams with FLA not having income tax (DAL, LV also).

Wonder when the NHL will close this loophole?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa 2019

All players have NTC and NMC so not exactly going to be easy-peasy

Kucherov ~ 9.5
Stamkos ~ 8.5
Callahan ~ 5.8
Palat ~ 5.3
JT Miller ~ 5.2
Johnson ~ 5
Killorn ~ 4.5

Total ~ $43.8 M

No Point or Gourde factored in

DEFENSE

Hedman ~ 7,875
McDonagh ~ 6,750

Total ~ $ 14,625

No Sergachev

Total 10 players ~ $58,425

NEED to sign

2 goalies
5-6 Defenseman
5 forwards

Good luck

Oh, I forgot they will tell Killorn he’s a bum and not wanted and he’ll waive

Yah shuuuuuure

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
2019 Lightning

Kucherov 9.5
Stamkos 8.5

Hedman 7,875
McDonagh 6,750

Total $32,625

I want Karlsson!!!!!

Bwhahahaha

I hope the Bruins have an issue with too many good players and not enough money. I'd rather deal good players that you can't afford for more cheap assets and continue the cycle.

Rather than trying to find takers for the Backes/Kellys etc and having to move a Boychuk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->