Around the NHL: Offseason Edition Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This incident isn't a big deal by itself, but it may indicate a larger problem. Let's face it, elite athletes get a free pass. Was this a one-time thing or did Matthews finally do something that couldn't be swept under the rug? Matthews hid the incident from the Leafs. His father accused the woman of lying until he was confronted with the video.

Given that the property had the security guard's back because Matthews has been an issue before leads me to believe that at a minimum he has ECS (Entitled Celebrity Syndrome).

The fact that his father was dealing with it for him backs that up.

He needs to grow up quick or he's in for a bumpy ride.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't understand what that last part proves. Of course a father is going to defend his son, what parent wouldn't in that situation?

I wouldn't defend my son if I heard that he was accused of being drunk and doing something stupid at 2am.

Nothing good happens at 2am.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
FB_IMG_1569551938988.jpg

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The reason it took the authorities 4 months to charge him was because he grew that moustache as a clever disguise and they couldn't find him.

Reactions: OkimLom

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A reasonable person?
I will admit I never saw the Athletic article and was going on the idea the dad heard his son was accused of something and naturally believed and defended him. That would be a natural reaction. After seeing that he knew his kid was guilty and tried to stage a coverup I hereby retract my previous statment.

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
The thing about the Matthews situation is not the fact that he was immature/drunk towards the security guard, it’s the fact that he is so immature and irresponsible to tell his GM and team management what happened. That’s a good captain right there.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I think someone pointed it out earlier, but Matthews is lucky he didn't get shot. AZ is a stand your ground state and that security guard probably would not have had a hard time illustrating she felt threatened by 3 grown men trying to get in the back of her car. Really bad judgement on his part and frankly the contract he signed and his stature as an athlete means he should be holding himself to a higher standard of behavior - especially if he's looking for the C.

As in how they choose to punish this? There seems to be a very low 'crime' factor to this and he will probably just get whatever the max fine is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad