OT: Around the NHL: Mac is the best player in the NHL, his contract says so

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Gurglesons
"Gudbranson got 4 x 4. Not sure he is hanging on barely lol"

5 clubs in what... 4-5 years? NOW he landed a spot. Finally landed some stability... but how long until the trade engine start chugging again...

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Florida gives Spencer Knight 3x4 mill....that seems aggressive for a goalie with 36 GP stuck behind the worst contract in the league. What a model franchise.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Florida gives Spencer Knight 3x4 mill....that seems aggressive for a goalie with 36 GP stuck behind the worst contract in the league. What a model franchise.

4.5m no less.

Takes him right up to being arbitration eligible too. Seems very weird.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Knight has had flashes. It’s basically what Oettinger got.
Oettinger also has 130+ pro games under his belt vs Knight's 40+ and was just the best player on his team in the playoffs, almost dragging them to the 2nd round against the will of his teammates.

Knight has a ton of potential, but I do not see how he's leveraged himself into that big of a deal already.

It's funny how some people were wishing the Pens would be more like the Panthers while they have won absolutely nothing in their existence and continue to fumble away what should have been a legit Cup contending roster.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oettinger also has 130+ pro games under his belt vs Knight's 40+ and was just the best player on his team in the playoffs, almost dragging them to the 2nd round against the will of his teammates.

Knight has a ton of potential, but I do not see how he's leveraged himself into that big of a deal already.

It's funny how some people were wishing the Pens would be more like the Panthers while they have won absolutely nothing in their existence and continue to fumble away what should have been a legit Cup contending roster.

Knight has pedigree unlike realistically any goaltender in the league though.

Except that Oettinger has about 100 more NHL games than him and is the Stars undisputed #1. They are not comparable at all.

Oettinger has played 71 NHL games. Knight has played 36. Not sure how you get 100 more there.

Their regular season numbers aren’t that far off and largely due to Dallas versus Florida’s system.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Knight has pedigree unlike realistically any goaltender in the league though.
I don't see what his pedigree has to do with getting paid $4.5 million per after 40 NHL games. I can't see how they could be worried about an offer sheet if Oettinger didn't get one this offseason during reportedly pretty tense negotiations with Dallas.

The chances of Knight not being worth $4.5 in 3 years is slim, but they still have to find a way to get out of the Bob deal and already have traded their next 3 1sts. A buyout will just handcuff them on the cap even more. I don't see how any GM with negotiating ability couldn't have gotten a much better deal for 2 years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't see what his pedigree has to do with getting paid $4.5 million per after 40 NHL games. I can't see how they could be worried about an offer sheet if Oettinger didn't get one this offseason during reportedly pretty tense negotiations with Dallas.

The chances of Knight not being worth $4.5 in 3 years is slim, but they still have to find a way to get out of the Bob deal and already have traded their next 3 1sts. A buyout will just handcuff them on the cap even more. I don't see how any GM with negotiating ability couldn't have gotten a much better deal for 2 years.

I mean Oettinger got his deal because of pedigree too.

It’s not like he was great this year. I say that as a huge fan of his even prior to the playoff series.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I mean Oettinger got his deal because of pedigree too.

It’s not like he was great this year. I say that as a huge fan of his even prior to the playoff series.
I'm an Oettinger fanboy. He got paid because, like I said, he was lights out in the playoffs and after the rest of Dallas' goalies got hurt so they finally had to play him. By all accounts, he had to fight tooth and nail to get $4 mill x 3 after winning the starting role and looking great while doing it.

Knight has been good, but is still firmly stuck as a backup and got handed more money. Just seems like Zito sucks at negotiating with goalies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm an Oettinger fanboy. He got paid because, like I said, he was lights out in the playoffs and after the rest of Dallas' goalies got hurt so they finally had to play him. By all accounts, he had to fight tooth and nail to get $4 mill x 3 after winning the starting role and looking great while doing it.

Knight has been good, but is still firmly stuck as a backup and got handed more money. Just seems like Zito sucks at negotiating with goalies.

Zito didn’t sign Bob. And Knight has a great playoff appearance on his ledger too against a much better team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess the thing with Knight is with Oettinger as his comparable, he was getting this for his next contract unless things went really rotten. I'd get waiting to ensure they don't but at the same time, if the deal is there no fuss today, why not?

*shrugs* Still not sure I'd have done it, but I can see why I guess.

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
They are going to learn real quick that Tkachuk is not the offensive driver that Hube is.

Yeah I mean... I will at least entertain a conversation that Tkachuk and Hubs are equals (I don't buy it but I'll listen). But after dishing firsts like candy, not even snagging either of Giroux or Chiarot in that equation AND trading Weegar as part of the Flames deal... meh. Seems steep.

I suppose they have like 5+ million in dead cap next year due to Yandle and that could be part of the equation, here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Florida/Zito looked awfully smart last year.

Not entirely sure what they're doing these days.
They are going to learn real quick that Tkachuk is not the offensive driver that Hube is.

It's pretty obvious what Florida did.

They didn't want to tie up major cash into Huberdeau because of his age and their cores age.

I think the reality is that Zito doesn't think they are a cup contending team with Bob so they are waiting out the contract and building around their young nucleus of Lundell, Barkov, Ekblad and Knight. Which is why Tkachuk makes way more sense than Huberdeau who would be in his 30s by the time they an get out of that contract.

As far as Tkachuk and Huberdeau. Tkachuk brings what Zito has been building his team around.

Gudas, Hornqvist, Chiarot. He wants his team to be tough to play against and believes he already has the skill players to make the system work.

I imagine they somehow pull off Chychrun or maybe Dumbaand build back into a legit contender in the next two seasons.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There is some good sense there.

But I thought they were close last year despite results and Hubs looked a big part of that. Tkachuk is a very intriguing player, a good bit younger and last year at least producing at a near-elite level. But you know how that can go on a new team.

But the point re: Bob is a good one and if they are kicking the can down the road another 2-4 years it makes some sense to re-align the core's ages/productive windows to match. And again... there was likely going to HAVE to be a step back this season regardless due to dead cap. But man... seems like a steep price. How much have these combined moves cost them in draft capital alone?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
There is some good sense there.

But I thought they were close last year despite results and Hubs looked a big part of that. Tkachuk is a very intriguing player, a good bit younger and last year at least producing at a near-elite level. But you know how that can go on a new team.

But the point re: Bob is a good one and if they are kicking the can down the road another 2-4 years it makes some sense to re-align the core's ages/productive windows to match. And again... there was likely going to HAVE to be a step back this season regardless due to dead cap. But man... seems like a steep price. How much have these combined moves cost them in draft capital alone?

Florida went all in to win last year and they got swept.

Simply running it back was foolish and Tkachuk and Barkov are going to be lights out. People are really underplaying who makes that top six run. Huberdeau is a top five winger IMO, but he was always playing 2nd line minutes there.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not sure what assets they're using to get Chyrchrun or Dumba.

But I agree that Florida look like a team who've decided the current lot won't get it done in the next three years so they've elected to make their window bigger by shifting younger, and that seems reasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad