Around the NHL | PLAYOFF TIME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
caps are playing WC1, thats why we have to avoid this, hopefully we grab 3rd and play Islenders, that would be ideal, have Caps go through Carolina, and CBJ try to fight Tampa...thats ideal scenario: than you have Tampa-Toronto and Caps-Pens awesome...

Why are we scared of the Caps exactly? We dominated them all year.

Nothing about that team scares me.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
caps are playing WC1, thats why we have to avoid this, hopefully we grab 3rd and play Islenders, that would be ideal, have Caps go through Carolina, and CBJ try to fight Tampa...thats ideal scenario: than you have Tampa-Toronto and Caps-Pens awesome...

CAR has two games in hand on us though and only two points behind...unless we go on some winning run without Geno and they falter, I believe CAR will pass us...at best, maybe the Isles who are playing more inconsistent will also falter and fall behind us, but in that case, we would play CAR as the third seed...I really see the more likely scenario being we play CAR as third seed in the Metro or we drop to WC1 and play WSH...unfortunately

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

in a 7 game series, they have 3 good lines (if Kuznetsov plays well) we have one good line, if we somehow manage to get another line going (scoring and being plus) and our Top 6 d-man stay healthy and Murray is Murray then I like our chance, still would rather see them in the second round...

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
in a 7 game series, they have 3 good lines (if Kuznetsov plays well) we have one good line, if we somehow manage to get another line going (scoring and being plus) and our Top 6 d-man stay healthy and Murray is Murray then I like our chance, still would rather see them in the second round...
Between that, the fact they proved last season they can actually seal the deal on the Pens, a big key too would be the performance of their defense and Holtby, which was incredible last year. And Wilson is a pest who can score. Very valuable commodity.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Do you really think Hagelin - Eller - Connolly is better than Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist?

Kuznetsov is having a worse season than Phil and Geno.

Not to mention Orlov has been terrible for them.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Just about Malkin for me. Before he got hurt, the Caps are who I wanted in the first round.

Now I want him to get some games in before we face them. So 2nd round it is.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Do you really think Hagelin - Eller - Connolly is better than Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist?

Hags-Eller-Connolly have more speed and score regularly...no one on our L3 is a particularly adept scorer...

Reactions: EightyOne

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Because they beat us last year with Geno unable to skate worth a damn, Letang playing like he was brain dead half the time, and no third line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'd say the third lines are different but comparable, unlike last year, when our third line sucked compared to their admittedly so-so third line.

Frankly, assuming everyone is healthy, the thing that scares me more than anything is Phil sabotaging L2 to the point that he's the other team's best defender.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Because they beat us last year with Geno unable to skate worth a damn, Letang playing like he was brain dead half the time, and no third line.

I rewatched that series a bunch. It's actually kinda crazy to think if Letang makes a better decision in game 5, we have a stranglehold on that series despite the issues you mentioned. I'd add collective fatigue, Sheahan almost doing things instead of Cullen actually doing things, and Murray struggling really for the first time in his career.

We have a third line. Letang is having a career year IMO. Malkin should come back rested. I worry a bit about Sid's fatigue factor, but he'll do whatever it takes come playoffs. Cullen hasn't been productive recently, but I think that changes with a healthy forward group and Blueger down on the 4th line again. And Murray's numbers since the holiday break speak for themselves.

I like our chances against any team sans Tampa and SJ. And with Tampa, I'll believe it when I see it with that group.

Reactions: Shady Machine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I rewatched that series a bunch. It's actually kinda crazy to think if Letang makes a better decision in game 5, we have a stranglehold on that series despite the issues you mentioned. I'd add collective fatigue, Sheahan almost doing things instead of Cullen actually doing things, and Murray struggling really for the first time in his career.

We have a third line. Letang is having a career year IMO. Malkin should come back rested. I worry a bit about Sid's fatigue factor, but he'll do whatever it takes come playoffs. Cullen hasn't been productive recently, but I think that changes with a healthy forward group and Blueger down on the 4th line again. And Murray's numbers since the holiday break speak for themselves.

I like our chances against any team sans Tampa and SJ. And with Tampa, I'll believe it when I see it with that group.

That's why the wild card for me is Phil. If he gives a ****, I like our chances. If he's still acting like it's preseason, I'm not sure a rested Geno with McCann or Rust will make anywhere near the impact they could.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Bjugstad and Eller have put up similar production pace wise this year.

Connolly has had a breakout season, but I don’t really think much of him. Hornqvist is far better.

Hags is Hags.

Horny would normally be better but it’s down year for him unfortunately and a breakout year, as you say, for Connolly...Hags is still better than Simon, though neither can score a lot..I like Bjug better than Eller but overall I give the edge to WSH’s line...

WSH’s L4 and L2 have been more productive than ours to date, but I give our L1 the edge over theirs...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Horny would normally be better but it’s down year for him unfortunately and a breakout year, as you say, for Connolly...Hags is still better than Simon, though neither can score a lot..I like Bjug better than Eller but overall I give the edge to WSH’s line...

WSH’s L4 and L2 have been more productive than ours to date, but I give our L1 the edge over theirs...

I'm not sure I wouldn't give a healthy/rested Geno with McCann or Rust and Phil (if he gives a crap) the edge, notwithstanding what's happened during the regular season.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
If Malkin is still making blind half assed behind the back passes and Kessel stick handling like he has cerebral palsy we have no chance at all.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not sure I wouldn't give a healthy/rested Geno with McCann or Rust and Phil (if he gives a crap) the edge, notwithstanding what's happened during the regular season.

Of course..I’m not saying our L2 couldn’t be better, just that they haven’t been, and I’m not sure there’s enough time for G to get healthy and for Phil get his head out of his *** for that to happen, particularly if we meet WSH in round one...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Oh my god, could you imagine if the Penguins did a Carolina-esque celly or if any member of the Penguins did Kuznetsov's bird thing? The outrage would be unimaginable.

I prefer the Kovalev moon walk, but now that MJ is an outcast.... no matter who did it would be shunned.

Kasperitis' penguin slide will be immortal, but I say they should bring that back. It makes a statement and it is insulting and demeaning.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Don't think Sid would ever allow the celly stuff like the Canes and Kuz.
He's an old soul who's idol is Steve Yzerman.
He'd never go for or put up with it.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Hedman Viking stacking it with Stamkos ' 38th but the Niederreither jerk evens it in the 1rst, not that i mind the Canes burying the habs as long as it suits us.

EDIT: Hamilton crushing Habs hopes by making it 2-1 for Canes, go Canes!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
That bird celly is embarrassing, and I'm not an anti celly guy at all. There can be fun ones for sure like the Kane/Matthews back and fourth, and Marchand/McGregor the other night.

I think what the Canes have been doing is fun, and useful in what is...lets face it a not great market. If that helps sell tickets great. I like that they embraced the whole "Bunch of Jerks" thing as well.

Reactions: Clare2904

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Tortorella saved 2 abused horses from the glue factory by adopting them?
Anyone watching the CBJ feed? That poor horse looked so f***ed up. I donno... I kinda like Torts... especially with the horses thing and he has 4 dogs.

Seems like a decent human being.

Reactions: Clare2904

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Oilers up 2-1 in the third period. Could be a really good night all the way around. Canes lose and Islanders and heading south. Pens finish second, play the flounders and Caps play the Canes. I'll take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad