OT: Around the NHL | Good riddance, Rivalry Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Impressed with Nashville's cap management. Only big player up anytime soon is Rinne next year but I suspect they'll let him go. Then Josi but they've got a lot of their players signed up for a while.

Agreed. Ellis extension will eat into some of that cap, but damn that Ekholm contract is a steal. Once Josi is extended, assuming they keep PK, things will get tight, but overall they have a done a great job. Of course, none of that matters if you can't win the big game.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It's been talked about before, but Poille has discovered the key to keeping players around is to slightly overpay (and maybe committing many years) now before they hit UFA.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Agreed. Ellis extension will eat into some of that cap, but damn that Ekholm contract is a steal. Once Josi is extended, assuming they keep PK, things will get tight, but overall they have a done a great job. Of course, none of that matters if you can't win the big game.

Their cap structure is absolutely beautiful.

Just read Ellis has no trade protection too.

Reactions: BHD

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Impressed with Nashville's cap management. Only big player up anytime soon is Rinne next year but I suspect they'll let him go. Then Josi but they've got a lot of their players signed up for a while.

Yea but a big piece of their puzzle is missing: a goalie who doesn't have the playoff yips

Wonder if they wouldn't have been well served by going after a guy like Grubauer. But I realize they probably have a ton of loyalty to Rinne. I'm not sure if Saros is the long term answer

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yea but a big piece of their puzzle is missing: a goalie who doesn't have the playoff yips

Wonder if they wouldn't have been well served by going after a guy like Grubauer. But I realize they probably have a ton of loyalty to Rinne. I'm not sure if Saros is the long term answer

I don't see why Theyd go after a young goalie....When they have the best young goalie in the NHL.

And to say Rinne has playoff yips isn't correct. He put up a historic run in 2017. Just had a bad finals. Kinda like what Fleury did this year...but don't just ignore the other 3 rounds based off one bad finals.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Statistically speaking, Rinne is below average in the playoffs - save a couple of years (2011, 2017). At 35 (36 in November), he probably has one run left in him.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They trash talked the hell out of Fleury and how he was trash and that they could do better.

They got the over hyped Brian Elliot, then they got the biggest diver in the game in Mike Smith.

Fleury still smilin'.

Mike Smith was pretty good last season, but asking him to do that again at 36 is risky.

And yeah, Fleury started games for SCF teams in back-to-back years while the Flames are still trying to make the playoffs.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I don't see why Theyd go after a young goalie....When they have the best young goalie in the NHL.

And to say Rinne has playoff yips isn't correct. He put up a historic run in 2017. Just had a bad finals. Kinda like what Fleury did this year...but don't just ignore the other 3 rounds based off one bad finals.

Did you watch any of the Winnipeg series last year? He was bad there and the career numbers indicate he's a poor playoff performer

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Sounds like Sekera might be done for the season (and maybe his career) after tearing his Achilles. I'm anxious to see whether Chiarelli makes a trade.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I just realized that trash bag is a Blackhawk now.
I don't get what the Hawks are doing anymore, they're obsessed with experience and getting nowhere as their core gets older. Getting Saad back for Panarin was a dumb move imo. It's like they're constantly trying to recreate their old glory but that era seems gone now. It's a Saad thing to see those shades of themselves. Kunitz is a corpse, they should be going younger not older.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I don't get what the Hawks are doing anymore, they're obsessed with experience and getting nowhere as their core gets older. Getting Saad back for Panarin was a dumb move imo. It's like they're constantly trying to recreate their old glory but that era seems gone now. It's a Saad thing to see those shades of themselves. Kunitz is a corpse, they should be going younger not older.
They're the post-cup era Shero Pens.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What's there to get?

Their star player throws coins at cab drivers and has great lawyers to shush away harassing women and with the other star, are xenophobic towards Russian players.

Oh and their HOF legend is a wife beater and a messed up dude.

OH...and they keep screwing themselves because of their cap.

Enjoy, Chris.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mike Smith was pretty good last season, but asking him to do that again at 36 is risky.

And yeah, Fleury started games for SCF teams in back-to-back years while the Flames are still trying to make the playoffs.

Mike Smith is also insanely injury prone and prone to flopping harder than a fish out of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad