OT: Around the NHL | Good riddance, Rivalry Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I am sure they will be fine. But beginning of the season blowouts, either receiving or giving, are pretty meaningless. The Pens suffered through a couple of them at the start of last year if I remember.
Oh yeah. I can’t wait for a garbage Chicago team to blow out the Pens again and for everyone to freak out.

odiumutis

Sep 23, 2018
www.forgotten-path.lt
I just will never get why people get hard for Calgary.

Defense is a year older, they traded away their best defenseman for Lindholm who is the definition of mediocre.

Neal was a solid pick up, Hanifin at his very peak is basically what Hamilton brought them last year.

Just a weird squad.

Obviously, a hot take since they've played one game, but their summer was just weird to me and I just don't get the hype they are getting.
I like Calgary, but if they want to do something meaningful, they need to take care of goaltending spot. Same for the "Blues". Are they expecting to get into the finals with Smith and Allen? Dream on!
I drafted Rask and Martin Jones in fantasy :help:
I drafted Wilson...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He skated to the three quarter point of the Bruins bench. He could have handled it much better. He knew exactly what he was doing. And so do I. Seventh goal. Just skate off the ice in a more direct route to your bench.

Marchand is a loose cannon. And he disappoints me every year. He can't stop. So much skill. So much dumb.

Anaheim Duck Carter Rowney on pace for 82 goals.

Both people can be wrong in this instance and we should leave it at that

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
"incredible defense the sharks have", they said. Ducks up 5-2

Yep... I have a friend out by the bay area and he was all pump saying how they were going to be a nightmare.

Ya a nightmare for Jones.... They have good offensive Defenseman who the hell is going to play defense when they all get caught pinching.

You seen it already last night, tons of great chances due to the defenseman wanting to be forwards.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

z7Ql7fl.png

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Both people can be wrong in this instance and we should leave it at that

True.

But for, comes into play.

But for the unnecessary showboating, would Marchand have jumped Eller???

(Yes, I know there is never a 0% chance of Marchand going crazy on any given player at any given point).

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not trying to defend Marchand. He's a dirtbag.

I'm just saying that was a stupid and totally unnecessary thing to do, especially up big. And as far as NHL standards go... yes... that WAS disrespectful and repercussions should have been expected. I'm not anti-fun or anything. I like it when players celebrate. But you just scored goal #7, it's late in the game and you're gonna make it a point to twist the knife as you skate past their bench? Just dumb.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I'm just saying that was a stupid and totally unnecessary thing to do, especially up big. And as far as NHL standards go... yes... that WAS disrespectful and repercussions should have been expected. I'm not anti-fun or anything. I like it when players celebrate. But you just scored goal #7, it's late in the game and you're gonna make it a point to twist the knife as you skate past their bench? Just dumb.

And you expect players not to be overly emotional children throwing tantrums because they’re adults who are technically at their place of work. If they felt so disrespected, they can go do something productive that isn’t to make themselves feel better for sucking.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sure. Again... not defending Marchand's actions, here. He's obviously out of line. He's always out of line. Why he is even still allowed to pull on a uniform is as mysterious to me as to why Tom Wilson is allowed to. I'm just saying that if that were Malkin (my favorite player in the league) skating past the bench and he decided to get cute and wave his hands around after putting the extra point on a touchdown I would rub my temples and say "WTF are you doing, moron?"

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Like... just to clarify I certainly hope Marchand is punished, do not think Eller "deserved it" and fully understand that Brad Marchand, of all players, is not the on-ice etiquette police.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Especially in game 1 of 82 against a non-rival. Like, there was ABSOLUTELY no good reason for him to chirp.

Marchand is a psychopath and was not justified, but Eller was dumb to do that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Regardless of Eller's behaviour, Marchand does deserve a ban. If Domi got banned for it, Marchand deserves a ban for it... but didn't Subban get away with it pre-season?

Incidentally, I'd favour a redraw of the rulebook as to where behaviour like Eller got punished by the refs. I want to see people play sports, not be petulant kids. I'd like to say penalty but that doesn't mean anything much in a 7-0 game. But then I am rather old fashioned.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Regardless of Eller's behaviour, Marchand does deserve a ban. If Domi got banned for it, Marchand deserves a ban for it... but didn't Subban get away with it pre-season?

Incidentally, I'd favour a redraw of the rulebook as to where behaviour like Eller got punished by the refs. I want to see people play sports, not be petulant kids. I'd like to say penalty but that doesn't mean anything much in a 7-0 game. But then I am rather old fashioned.

I'd fine them after the first offense too. A penalty in a blowout doesn't impact them, a hit to their wallet does.

Want happen though, kids love that individualistic bullshit.

Damn... I reached that point, I am THE old guy yelling at clouds :(

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd fine them after the first offense too. A penalty in a blowout doesn't impact them, a hit to their wallet does.

Want happen though, kids love that individualistic bull****.

Damn... I reached that point, I am THE old guy yelling at clouds :(

Those damn kids, the same age as us... :laugh:

Its not even about being individualistic, its about having a basic respect for other people. You can express yourself plenty without breaching that. Or apparently not.

And... while I don't want to excuse what Marchand did, I do feel a bit "Live by the sword, die by the sword". He wanted a reaction. I certainly don't feel sorry for him if his face hurts.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Those damn kids, the same age as us... :laugh:

Its not even about being individualistic, its about having a basic respect for other people. You can express yourself plenty without breaching that. Or apparently not.

And... while I don't want to excuse what Marchand did, I do feel a bit "Live by the sword, die by the sword". He wanted a reaction. I certainly don't feel sorry for him if his face hurts.

I do not feel sorry for Eller either, but I do think Marchand needs to be punished.

Reactions: Peat

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
What's ironic is that Oleksiak could've done what Marchand did to Wilson when he brained ZAR. In fact, in some hockey circles it could've been deemed as a justifiable action "sticking up for his teammate"

Not that I would condone Olek doing it...would've made me feel a smidgen better though :)

But I will never ever forget or forgive what Thornton did to Orpik:

A few more pounds of force or torque and Orpik could've wound up like Steve Moore

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
What's ironic is that Oleksiak could've done what Marchand did to Wilson when he brained ZAR. In fact, in some hockey circles it could've been deemed as a justifiable action "sticking up for his teammate"

Not that I would condone Olek doing it...would've made me feel a smidgen better though :)

A few more pounds of force or torque and Orpik could've wound up like Steve Moore

Remember that was 44’s fault for not dropping the gloves earlier. Violation of the code. Even the Uber-homer Boston announcers were silent for awhile before they came up with that one.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

That was straight up assault. I’d love to see these players have to testify in a real court. “He, uh, he made me angry by, uh, hitting my teammate. So I, uh, got him on the ground, and, um, started punching him. So his head kept hitting the, uh, playing surface.... It’s what the code says.”

I think there’s a video of a player (Canucks?) being on the ground knocked out or completely out of it while players started fighting over him until the goalie noticed and tried to provide some shelter. You know, risking stepping on the downed player with their skates and jostling someone who could have a head or neck injury. His head might have taken some contact, actually. Morons in a moronic league.

Reactions: Peat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Who Eller?

Eh... I agree in principle. And if there is a bigger bag of dicks league-wide than Tom Wilson it MIGHT be Marchand. But like was discussed above... taunting the Bruins bench up by a touchdown with that animal on the team? Not just a chump move... flat out stupid. Maybe Eller doesn't value the (presumably) functioning status of his brain? He is a Capital, I suppose.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this guys... I'm pretty subtle about it... but I really, really, really despise the Capitals. I just wanted to clear that up to avoid any confusion.

Eller was asking for it and I'm glad Marchand tuned him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->