OT: Around the NHL - Good hocket is good

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Every time I watch 3 on 3 I wish more and more that the league would go to 4 on 4 for regulation. Just imagine how fast the game would be if you cut the 4 worst coal miners off of each team and gave the skill guys room to move.

Or we could get a FIFTH and SIXTH line to argue about if you dont cut players.

Also..yeah...I'd rather do this than say, make they nets larger.

Reactions: Sideline

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My wife went to the game in Toronto and obviously wasn’t too happy. However, she pointed out something that isn’t weird, but she claims it is...

She was a few seats from the glass and just texted me and said it’s so weird how Marner skates around during the game chewing on his mouthpiece.

I told her it’s not weird because I did the same thing when I played and never thought it was weird. How is that weird?

It’s so weird she thinks it’s weird.

Reactions: BHD

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
My wife went to the game in Toronto and obviously wasn’t too happy. However, she pointed out something that isn’t weird, but she claims it is...

She was a few seats from the glass and just texted me and said it’s so weird how Marner skates around during the game chewing on his mouthpiece.

I told her it’s not weird because I did the same thing when I played and never thought it was weird. How is that weird?

It’s so weird she thinks it’s weird.

Always thought mouthguard chewing was related to (possible NSFW?):

What I do not get are motherf***ers spitting all game. WTF is that shit is about, I do not know. Horse steroids causing snarling frothing gross *** grown men?

Last edited:

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Yeah hoss, no bueno on that 4 on 4 in regulation stuff.

Why? Tarnish the history and mystique of the sport because it has always been 5 on 5 and changing that puts an asterisk on any history books (despite the fact that we put asterisks on everything anyway)?

Or do you think it is just a gimmick that would be too much like indoor football (American football*)?

I kinda wish we used international sized rinks, BUT, gotta maximize those paying seats in arenas instead!

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Why? Tarnish the history and mystique of the sport because it has always been 5 on 5 and changing that puts an asterisk on any history books (despite the fact that we put asterisks on everything anyway)?

Or do you think it is just a gimmick that would be too much like indoor football (American football*)?

I kinda wish we used international sized rinks, BUT, gotta maximize those paying seats in arenas instead!
If people are a no because they have a history boner than they should also be advocating for a return to 6 on 6. Bring back the rover!!!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Always thought mouthguard chewing was related to (possible NSFW?):

What I do not get are mother****ers spitting all game. WTF is that **** is about, I do not know. Horse steroids causing snarling frothing gross *** grown men?

i think it’s just a habit you don’t realize you are doing. I also would spin my stick a lot, which wasn’t the best habit, but I did it so fast I didn’t know I was even doing it.

Just realized I still spin my stick when I was showing my daughter how to saucer pass, and she was spinning her stick before passing and I said “what are you doing doll, stop spinning your stick” and she said “but daddy, that’s what you do”

I was like what? No... then I went to pass to her and f***ing spin my stick... guess that is weird...

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Lol I only stick spin after I f*** up a shot or pass that leads to a stoppage lol. It's more frustration than anything.

You must be fast with it if you are doing that before passing lol

Reactions: ColePens

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lol I only stick spin after I **** up a shot or pass that leads to a stoppage lol. It's more frustration than anything.

You must be fast with it if you are doing that before passing lol

I do it extremely fast, but I think I only spin it when I’m standing on the ice passing the puck back and forth. Somehow I must have started doing that as a kid/teen.

It’s so damn weird because I knew I would spin my stick other times like you after a bad shot or pass... just never knew I did it when I was passing back and forth like that.

I tried to prove to my daughter I didn’t do that and when I went to chip the puck to her I spun my stick and chipped it all in one motion and was like wtf!

I can’t imagine I ever had time to do that in a game while passing, so I feel safe in saying I don’t do it then. No one can spin their stick that fast.

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I just think it takes away from positions. Like you're either floating left or right wing if you're the winger and then you have a center. It does open up the game more yes, but I think the rule changes now have already made the game more open. I am sure we have a stats nerd that can pull up goals scored or a link that shows it by year since say 1990 since the 80s was mostly a joke for goaltending and defense and go from there.

The NHL should look at the international surface and the NHL regulations and split the difference and start there. That takes out minimal seating at best.

Reactions: ETA and EightyOne

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

ugh to international size. Just creates more space that isn't in scoring areas and forces defense to play safer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
ugh to international size. Just creates more space that isn't in scoring areas and forces defense to play safer.
Again, the splitting the difference is the best thing you can do.

The International ice isn't longer, it's wider. Leagues might lose a row on each side, but if that makes the game better to watch without hurting the players equipment sizes and making them more prone to injury, why not?

League width is 26m vs 30m, if you just increase it by 28, it's not that huge of a difference but enough of one to make it interesting.

Length is just a 1m difference, that wouldn't be bad to change up as well.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Again, the splitting the difference is the best thing you can do.

The International ice isn't longer, it's wider. Leagues might lose a row on each side, but if that makes the game better to watch without hurting the players equipment sizes and making them more prone to injury, why not?

League width is 26m vs 30m, if you just increase it by 28, it's not that huge of a difference but enough of one to make it interesting.

Length is just a 1m difference, that wouldn't be bad to change up as well.
My point is that it makes the game worse to watch, not better.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->