Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
First time a QC born player won’t be in the lineup for the Habs.

Julien Brisebois will be the next GM of the Habs.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Lots of fireworks in the TBL vs. Florida game. Its a carry over from Saturday's game with lots of fights and penalties. These teams do not like each other.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
haha MTL limping out of the playoff spot. Tall ask of Calgary right now tho.
4 games against a Vancouver team playing a billion games in 1 week and a half.

If the Habs fail to get a point in these two games, I'd put even odds on the Flames making the playoffs.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Did Buffalo provide any reasoning why they wouldn't let Eichel have surgery?

Seems like a year with (almost) no fans in the stands is the perfect time to take care of things like this.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
The Sabres are such a joke. The stench of Tim Murray still lingers.

Unfortunately Eichel is associated with TMurr so he needs to go for that franchise to start healing. That and word is Pegula is a bad rich owner.
Was Tim Murray really that bad?

1. The players/assets he had weren't exactly great.
2. He was only around for three drafts and did well in two of them. Nylander was a bad pick, but Ottawa also flubbed our pick as well. Plus, Buffalo did eventually turn Nylander into Jokiharju, so it hasn't been a complete loss.
3. He turned Mikhail Grigorenko and Nikita Zadorov into Ryan O’Reilly and Jamie McGinn.
4. Kyle Okposo hasn't been the greatest signing, but I've seen worse
5. He traded for Robin Lehner and, although he gave up a 1st, Lehner is a good goalie who should have stabilized things.
6. Mark Pysyk to Florida in exchange for Kulikov was kind of a non-issue.
7. He traded Myers, Drew Stafford, Armia, and Lemieux + 1st for Zach Bogosian and Kane. Again, solid trade.
8. He also had some trades that didn't pan out like the McNabb trade, but it isn't like he gave away anything of consequence.

I think his biggest issue was selecting coaching and his failure to address his defense. I think he should have been given more time.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

1. The players/assets he had weren't exactly great.
2. He was only around for three drafts and did well in two of them. Nylander was a bad pick, but Ottawa also flubbed our pick as well. Plus, Buffalo did eventually turn Nylander into Jokiharju, so it hasn't been a complete loss.
3. He turned Mikhail Grigorenko and Nikita Zadorov into Ryan O’Reilly and Jamie McGinn.
4. Kyle Okposo hasn't been the greatest signing, but I've seen worse
5. He traded for Robin Lehner and, although he gave up a 1st, Lehner is a good goalie who should have stabilized things.
6. Mark Pysyk to Florida in exchange for Kulikov was kind of a non-issue.
7. He traded Myers, Drew Stafford, Armia, and Lemieux + 1st for Zach Bogosian and Kane. Again, solid trade.
8. He also had some trades that didn't pan out like the McNabb trade, but it isn't like he gave away anything of consequence.

I think his biggest issue was selecting coaching and his failure to address his defense. I think he should have been given more time.

Tim Murray’s feel isn’t great. He can’t be the guy your organization has on camera. He’s the opposite of smooth. He’s Christoph Schubert on a breakaway smooth. And he feels old school in ways I don’t think would represent your organization all that well when the game has changed so much.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
He rushed Buffalo's rebuild

Got rid of 21st,25th, 31st in a deep draft, as well as Compher,Zadorov and Myers(their defense could have used the latter 2) for Lehner,Kane,Bogosian and O'Reilly, and none of those guys are still on the team.

With those picks Buff could have gotten Konency,Boeser or Aho.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Got rid of 21st,25th, 31st in a deep draft, as well as Compher,Zadorov and Myers(their defense could have used the latter 2) for Lehner,Kane,Bogosian and O'Reilly, and none of those guys are still on the team.

He was barely halfway through his plan and the majority of his moves were very good.
You’re going to blame him for lehner(their best goaltender of late), Oreilly(best player other than eichel of late), Kane(best goal scorer other than eichel), Bogosian(solid vet) not being there anymore?
Tim Murray is a funny guy. He had a plan he didn’t get to execute so can’t be evaluated fairly. Maybe his final plan fails but it looked like he was on the right track. That team was REALLY bad when he took over. People there were loving him.

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
He was barely halfway through his plan and the majority of his moves were very good.
You’re going to blame him for lehner(their best goaltender of late), Oreilly(best player other than eichel of late), Kane(best goal scorer other than eichel), Bogosian(solid vet) not being there anymore?
Tim Murray is a funny guy. He had a plan he didn’t get to execute so can’t be evaluated fairly. Maybe his final plan fails but it looked like he was on the right track. That team was REALLY bad when he took over. People there were loving him.
Lehner had a couple good years then was meh. My point was that Murray traded a bunch of assets that would have been younger and cost controlled for non-impact guys that left the team anyways.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

In his 3 seasons in Buffalo Lehner had .924, .920 and .908 SV% . He wasn't the problem.

O'Reilly acquisition was fantastic. Gave up a lot of youth but adding a young #1 center more than offset that.

Bigger problem with those trades is that Botterill let Lehner walk for nothing and traded O'Reilly for next to nothing.

No question the Kane+Bogosian acquisition did not work out. A couple of misses there.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

You can play the "could have drafted" game with every team. Buffalo could have easily whiffed those picks and ended up with nothing.

Everything Murray acquired could have easily been (and sometimes was) traded for most than the acquisition cost.

I think he should have been left to run his course for at least 1-2 more offseasons. Getting two first line players, a starting goalie, and a 20 minute a night defenseman for some late picks and Myers (Zadorov and Compher haven't amounted to much) is a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad