Around the NHL Discussion Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Wow they fired Doug Weight and Garth Snow. I’m surprised by Dougie getting the boot, I wonder if he ends up here somehow. We’d have to get rid of Berube, but Weight is probably the better PP guy

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah Weight just got the short end of the stick. They only gave him a year and a half there. I mean, a 59-49-14 record isn’t horrible... it’s not like their team has much of a defense or goaltending so you can’t expect much better.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Question is what does this signal for Tavares? Does a move of this manner mean he is more or less likely to stay? When you have a new GM and new coach that obviously provides a new perspective and sometimes that means growing pains and sometimes it’s what a team needs to take the next step. Wonder which category JT feels the Isles fall into.

This could be a blessing or this could be the worst thing that could happen for those looking to court JT in free agency. Becoming more and more interesting to see how things play out over the next month.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Question is what does this signal for Tavares? Does a move of this manner mean he is more or less likely to stay? When you have a new GM and new coach that obviously provides a new perspective and sometimes that means growing pains and sometimes it’s what a team needs to take the next step. Wonder which category JT feels the Isles fall into.

This could be a blessing or this could be the worst thing that could happen for those looking to court JT in free agency. Becoming more and more interesting to see how things play out over the next month.

I have the same questions about this whole ordeal. Are they getting fired because JT wanted more change to stay? Or are they getting fired because he told Lou he’s gone, and their ineptitude to bring him back caused it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I see it as only a positive for Islanders keeping him, but I would assume it's a move Lou makes regardless of Tavares. Snow was there long enough with poor results and Weight wasn't great, the guy didnt know crap about defense(listening to Islander fans).

I wouldn't put much thought into this as a Blues fan wanting JT. I still think he's going to FA. If he chooses to go back to NY, so be it.

Reactions: Stealth JD

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I see it as only a positive for Islanders keeping him, but I would assume it's a move Lou makes regardless of Tavares. Snow was there long enough with poor results and Weight wasn't great, the guy didnt know crap about defense(listening to Islander fans).

I wouldn't put much thought into this as a Blues fan wanting JT. I still think he's going to FA. If he chooses to go back to NY, so be it.

I would agree with this assessment. I don't think this greatly effects Tavares's choice to hit FA. I think he's so close at this point, he just does it to see what's out there.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I have the same questions about this whole ordeal. Are they getting fired because JT wanted more change to stay? Or are they getting fired because he told Lou he’s gone, and their ineptitude to bring him back caused it.
They're in desperation mode. He's clearly not happy there and it looks like he's serious about potentially leaving, so they're making big changes to show him they're serious about making big changes. There's a pretty good chance he didn't even ask for those changes to be made. The Islanders are clearly just grasping at straws at this point.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Does anyone know if there was anything to the reports that Tavares and Weight were close? If there is even a ring of truth, I can't see firing someone you're close to or even just admire as being a move that is going to improve their chances of retaining the player.

At this point, I have no affinity for or allegiance to Berube, and if hiring Weight to replace him gets us closer to attracting Tavares I do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Yeah, I see that as a pretty good indication that JT is looking to get out of dodge. I'd wager he'd have already resigned with them if that was his intent. Of all the teams connected to him, The Isles are in the best position cap wise to offer top dollar (if that is what he was looking for), plus they have the benefit of offering that extra year. That makes me think he's more interested in finding a contender and he knows the Isles window isn't opening anytime soon.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Does anyone know if there was anything to the reports that Tavares and Weight were close? If there is even a ring of truth, I can't see firing someone you're close to or even just admire as being a move that is going to improve their chances of retaining the player.

At this point, I have no affinity for or allegiance to Berube, and if hiring Weight to replace him gets us closer to attracting Tavares I do it in a heartbeat.
I believe Tavares lived with Weight in his rookie season for a short period of time. Wouldn't be surprised if Weight was the main mentor to Tavares as he traversed through his early years in the league. I would wager that the two were quite close.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There is a tweet going around from some media guy named Greg Brady in Toronto that Tavares is done in NYI after letting Weight go. I have no clue if he is reliable or not, however I did notice that all of McKenzie, Dreger and LeBrun do follow him on Twitter.

I can't imagine the Islanders would do something that dumb if they knew Tavares liked him so much though...

Just an odd situation all around up there in NY. And Lou is 76 years old, he's really the guy that's going to get Tavares to stick long-term? Alright then...we'll see.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I wouldn't be particularly excited by bringing Weight back. Despite being new to coaching, I think he is someone who coaching from a past era. Gomez might be more interesting in some capacity.

As for how this changes the Tavares situation? Who knows. You could make arguments that say it is more likely and less likely that he'll extend now.

Whether or not he is friends with Weight, Tavares will want to win and know that it's a business. The only question is whether he'd believe that Weight was treated unfairly.

I didn't think there was any chance he'd extend with the Islanders if he got to the draft unsigned. These moves have changed my mind on that. I think he'll want to hear from other teams, having already got to this point, but I can see him possibly signing an extension after that.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don't think the Snow and Weight decisions had much to do with Tavares from the Islanders perspective. Lamoriello is cleaning house before starting to rebuild the team. He wants a coach he chose in place. He'll handle GM duties to start the process then hand it off to someone he chose. Its not uncommon when someone takes over an underperforming company to fire the old management team and put new people in place. Even though Weight was new at coaching, he'd been with the organization for awhile. He learned to coach in the organization. And Lou clearly wants to start fresh and cut out all the rot.

As for Tavares and Weight's relationship, the press release said both Snow and Weight would still be with the organization. So I don't know if that will effect his decision, but Weight will be remaining in New York barring a better offer elsewhere.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I am absolutely sickened seeing freaking Phoenix Copley celebrating winning the cup... cmon Doug you got him the first time and you gave up a cup caliber goalie like that! Good grief :skeptic:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I hope Tarasenko watched how Ovie played this playoff. Take notes son.

Also, maybe those whole like to put Oshie down can now see that he is a very good player?
If they just now understand it they should change to different sport, maybe baseball.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Man, that Oshie interview. Just been through seeing a grandmother going through that to the bitter end. Just as a aside & without going into detail, Oshie went over the top for a fairly distant family member dealing with some serious health issues too.

He’s matured a lot over the years, and it was awesome to see that moment for him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You have to admire Ovechkin's passion there. He truly cares about winning and wanted that badly.

Happy for him. That said, and I get this feeling every single time the Cup is handed out, but I feel even hungrier for a Cup than ever before. Seeing the Capitals break their drought... God, I need a Cup in St. Louis soon. This is getting tougher by the day.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
You have to admire Ovechkin's passion there. He truly cares about winning and wanted that badly.

Happy for him. That said, and I get this feeling every single time the Cup is handed out, but I feel even hungrier for a Cup than ever before. Seeing the Capitals break their drought... God, I need a Cup in St. Louis soon. This is getting tougher by the day.
It does get tougher with every Cup we don’t win.

Reactions: BlueDream
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad