Around The NHL Discussion 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
We're about to play some pretty weak teams in SJ, LA, and ANA in the coming weeks. How many of you would rather see Parayko sit if it meant that Mikkola and Walman would be playing? I think Mikkola should be a regular no questions asked, but at this point I would rather take a much quicker and more healthy Walman than a debilitated Parayko. Berube has said that Krug can play and I'm assuming Scandella is just getting more rest because we can, so I'm not worried about getting them in too quickly. At least for now while we play bad teams.

I would like to see the lineup that gives us the best chance to win these games, because these are the points that you SHOULD win and need more than others. If it's better with him in it, i'd rather see him sit through a stretch against Vegas and Colorado as those are games that could arguably be called a toss up, and Vegas is certainly more physical than the others. Parayko obviously needs time to rest/recover from whatever he is dealing with, and i'd like to see it be during the games where he may be exposed the most.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
We have no idea what’s wrong with Parayko including whether him sitting out is likely to speed recovery, so it’s not reasonable to have strong opinions about him sitting out for that reason. And to this point even impaired Parayko is better than who we have available to come into the line-up to replace him. Hope he improves or I don’t like the Blues’ chances against the better teams.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
We have no idea what’s wrong with Parayko including whether him sitting out is likely to speed recovery, so it’s not reasonable to have strong opinions about him sitting out for that reason. And to this point even impaired Parayko is better than who we have available to come into the line-up to replace him. Hope he improves or I don’t like the Blues’ chances against the better teams.
If it were a thing where he is just skating slower or not shooting the puck as often or using his slapper, then maybe I'd agree, but you can tell from the eye test and his numbers that he just isn't right at all. More than not right, he's playing like an AHL'er right now. If I were the coach, I would've kept him out for a bit to see how he does, and it looks like Berube is comfortable with that decision now that a few guys are coming back. To this point though, I don't think you'd be having guys like Karlsson or Hedman play if they clearly had a debilitating injury and there was backup there to fill a role. You're obviously not going to get the production that a healthy one of those players provides, but at what point do you say enough is enough for Parayko? What would have to happen or what would his play have to be for you to sit him to get healthy?

Side note, I don't follow the Athletic or Rutherford, but if you're a journalist covering a team and will say publicly in an interview that you know what's wrong with a player but you're not comfortable saying what injury or ailment is, then don't even bring up that you know. It's worthless as a fan and spectator of the sport to hear journalists talking about secret information that they can't reveal because of "reasons." If you can't say what it is, I don't want to hear about it. I'll find out when it's dealt with or when the team wants it to be known. Ok rant over

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If it were a thing where he is just skating slower or not shooting the puck as often or using his slapper, then maybe I'd agree, but you can tell from the eye test and his numbers that he just isn't right at all. More than not right, he's playing like an AHL'er right now. If I were the coach, I would've kept him out for a bit to see how he does, and it looks like Berube is comfortable with that decision now that a few guys are coming back. To this point though, I don't think you'd be having guys like Karlsson or Hedman play if they clearly had a debilitating injury and there was backup there to fill a role. You're obviously not going to get the production that a healthy one of those players provides, but at what point do you say enough is enough for Parayko? What would have to happen or what would his play have to be for you to sit him to get healthy?

Side note, I don't follow the Athletic or Rutherford, but if you're a journalist covering a team and will say publicly in an interview that you know what's wrong with a player but you're not comfortable saying what injury or ailment is, then don't even bring up that you know. It's worthless as a fan and spectator of the sport to hear journalists talking about secret information that they can't reveal because of "reasons." If you can't say what it is, I don't want to hear about it. I'll find out when it's dealt with or when the team wants it to be known. Ok rant over
It’s cool for Berube to have that opinion, he knows what’s wrong with him! Sure hope we see some recovery from Parayko. I was thinking that a Covid break wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen to this team.

I agree about JR.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
It’s cool for Berube to have that opinion, he knows what’s wrong with him! Sure hope we see some recovery from Parayko. I was thinking that a Covid break wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen to this team.

I agree about JR.
If it weren't for Scandella and Krug coming back tonight, you'd be right that they'd probably leave him in, for what it's worth

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
JR is a shit reporter - always has been. I'd kill for a Portzline or a Russo or some other frankly reasonable hockey reporter. JR writes nice fluff pieces about family and shit, but other then that he's useless.
You read JR's chat? I think there is full of Army's fanboys asking idiotic questions which is general knowledge. If there is tough question JR will pass on that.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
You read JR's chat? I think there is full of Army's fanboys asking idiotic questions which is general knowledge. If there is tough question JR will pass on that.

I'm more frustrated with his coverage of the Blues dating back to the year when we won the Cup and he continuously hinted at locker room issues without reporting on said locker room issues. You can't have it both ways as a journalist. If someone tells you something off the record, you don't get to speculate about it. If no one is willing to go on the record, you don't continuously reference something and claim you know it's true. You either don't say anything (Since it was off the record anyway), or you do your god damn job and get someone to talk on the record about it. Or you use non-specific sources to talk about it. I just get the feeling that he's so worried that the Blues will shut him out of he does something they don't like - well guess what, that's part of your job. Especially during a season when fans had tons of anxiety over what looked to be the end of the road for the team as currently constructed.

At the end of the day he's a sub-par journalist who's got almost zero real hockey knowledge - I love a lot about the Athletic, but I can't help but feel like they wanted a "Beat reporter" for every team and he was literally the only guy available. I read a number of the other "beat reporter" type guys they have and JR is utter dogpoop compared to them.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The setting for this game is awesome, but they need to figure out how to play a game in a setting like this with a better handle on the ice conditions. Way too many guys falling down for no apparent reason.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The setting for this game is awesome, but they need to figure out how to play a game in a setting like this with a better handle on the ice conditions. Way too many guys falling down for no apparent reason.
You either play outside with the sun or you play indoor with conditions you can control. You are at the mercy of what the weather decides to do that day

Reactions: Blueston

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
You either play outside with the sun or you play indoor with conditions you can control. You are at the mercy of what the weather decides to do that day
One of the reasons that the Stadium Series games work is that the sun is a non-factor, but you never get this kind of a view.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
One of the reasons that the Stadium Series games work is that the sun is a non-factor, but you never get this kind of a view.
This is one of the prettiest setups I've ever seen in a hockey game, and without fans I think it looks even better. But with the sun being out and the "heat" ramping up after this bout of intense cold weather, you kind of have to prepare or expect this to be an issue. To be fair to the NHL though, I dont remember it being this sunny during winter in awhile

Reactions: MissouriMook

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I wish the outdoor games were played at night. The Sun ruins the entire thing.
Ehh I think I could really take either or. The setting for this outdoor game though, damn. Even if the game was postponed, it was worth the shots we got, so pretty

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
So there's a main board thread regarding goalie fatigue and I've seen some really dumb opinions expressed in that thread. That thread needs a @Brian39 intervention in the worst possible way.

Apparently goalies should be indefatigable robots ninjas and not human beings because 'they're just standing around making a few saves' 'played multiple games a day in peewee' and 'we're only 20 something games into the season!!! How dees guys R tired already?'.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
So there's a main board thread regarding goalie fatigue and I've seen some really dumb opinions expressed in that thread. That thread needs a @Brian39 intervention in the worst possible way.

Apparently goalies should be indefatigable robots ninjas and not human beings because 'they're just standing around making a few saves' 'played multiple games a day in peewee' and 'we're only 20 something games into the season!!! How dees guys R tired already?'.
Or, you know, you could make decisions designed to win the maximum number of games you can. Like judicious use of a competent backup.

Reactions: TK 421

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

That thread made my brain deflate.

It was similar to last year when someone on this board wondered why a professional hockey player would feel tired when their occupation isn't as arduous as roof tiling or something.

Reactions: TK 421

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
I don't know if anyone saw, but JR finally spilled the beans about Parayko. Whoever discussed him having back issues was right on the dot. Idk what that means for Colt and if he can get healthy, but let's hope it's not as serious as it seems
f***. Back issues, especially for big guys, tend to linger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->